Quantcast

6.0 branched from master

Dear developers, advanced users,

The 6.0 branch has been created and will be used for Scilab 6.0.0 . If you want to have a bug
correction applied for the release you should now `git push HEAD:refs/for/6.0` or edit your
.git/config file to do so.

Do not hesitate to ping us if you already have some bugfix commit in review on master and want them
to be applied on the 6.0 branch.

Thanks for your involvement,

--
Clément & the Scilab team

Re: 6.0 branched from master

Hello Clément,

Le 27/01/2017 à 18:13, Clément David a écrit :
Dear developers, advanced users,

The 6.0 branch has been created and will be used for Scilab 6.0.0 . If you want to have a bug
correction applied for the release you should now `git push HEAD:refs/for/6.0` or edit your
.git/config file to do so.

Do not hesitate to ping us if you already have some bugfix commit in review on master and want them
to be applied on the 6.0 branch.

So, after 10 years of YaSP and (6.0) master activity, this is somewhat the true birth date of Scilab 6.0 :)

These new indications are somewhat breaking guidelines described on the wiki:
https://wiki.scilab.org/How%20to%20contribute%20to%20Scilab
If these news are not transient just for 6.0, the wiki could be updated to not mislead anyone.

By the way, Antoine just answered to some of my questions on the CodeReview: AFAIU, commits pushed on the master must be abandoned after being copied to the 6.0 branch.

Finally,
Do not hesitate to ping us if you already have some bugfix commit in review on master and want them
to be applied on the 6.0 branch.
 Doesn't the CodeReview +1 flag just mean this? I believed it does.

Re: 6.0 branched from master

Hi Samuel,

> > Do not hesitate to ping us if you already have some bugfix commit in review on master and want
> > them
> > to be applied on the 6.0 branch.
>
> So, after 10 years of YaSP and (6.0) master activity, this is somewhat the true birth date of
> Scilab 6.0 :)
>
> These new indications are somewhat breaking guidelines described on the wiki:
> https://wiki.scilab.org/How%20to%20contribute%20to%20Scilab
> If these news are not transient just for 6.0, the wiki could be updated to not mislead anyone.

Regular developments should still be done on the master branch. I just wanted to inform that commits
merged on master branch will not be present on the upcoming 6.0.x releases. IMHO the wiki
instructions are still applicable for new features and Scilab improvements.

> By the way, Antoine just answered to some of my questions on the CodeReview: AFAIU, commits pushed
> on the master must be abandoned after being copied to the 6.0 branch.

Yep the 6.0 branch will be merged back to the master branch regularly and change-set should not be
duplicated.

> Finally,
> > Do not hesitate to ping us if you already have some bugfix commit in review on master and want
> > them
> > to be applied on the 6.0 branch.
>   Doesn't the CodeReview +1 flag just mean this? I believed it does.

Yes it does for commit to be merged *in the master branch*.
For already pushed commits that are currently in master but expected to be part of 6.0.0, you should
ask the team or re-push on refs/for/6.0 by yourself.

Note: we will probably not accept re-factoring nor new features on the 6.0 branch (only bug
correction and regression fixes).

nikolay nikolay

Re: 6.0 branched from master

Dear Scilab developers!

It is great that Scilab 6 will become available soon!

But please do not forget to fix bugs in it.
For example I found these under Scilab 6.0.0.1486471292 amd64 on Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS amd64:

For now the most buggy component is Xcos.
I'm ready to help by testing.

--
With best regards,
Ph.D., assistant professor at MPEI,

Dear developers, advanced users,

The 6.0 branch has been created and will be used for Scilab 6.0.0 . If you want to have a bug
correction applied for the release you should now `git push HEAD:refs/for/6.0` or edit your
.git/config file to do so.

Do not hesitate to ping us if you already have some bugfix commit in review on master and want them
to be applied on the 6.0 branch.

Thanks for your involvement,

--
Clément & the Scilab team
To start a new topic under Scilab developers - Mailing Lists Archives, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Scilab developers - Mailing Lists Archives, click here.
NAML

nikolay nikolay

Re: 6.0 branched from master

Hello Clément,

Le 27/01/2017 à 18:13, Clément David a écrit :
> Dear developers, advanced users,
>
> The 6.0 branch has been created and will be used for Scilab 6.0.0 .

Now that this version is released, where should we commit changes for 6.0.1?
In my thoughts, 6.0 included all forthcoming 6.0.x. But the 6.0 CHANGES
is still the 6.0.0 one.

If merging 6.0 => master is always possible, i guess that at some point,
merging master => 6.0 will become impossible unless releasing 6.1..

BR

Antoine ELIAS-2 Antoine ELIAS-2

Re: 6.0 branched from master

Hello Samuel,

branch 6.0 is for version 6.0.0 to 6.0.x
branch master is for 6.1.0 to < 7.0.0

Normally, 6.0.1 is for bug fixes or small improvement.

In doubt, push your commits on branch master and we cherry pick commits
on 6.0 branch if needed.
Branch 6.0 will be regularly merged in master. The opposite will never
happen.

HTH
Antoine

Le 2017-02-17 18:41, Samuel Gougeon a écrit :

> Hello Clément,
>
> Le 27/01/2017 à 18:13, Clément David a écrit :
>> Dear developers, advanced users,
>>
>> The 6.0 branch has been created and will be used for Scilab 6.0.0 .
>
> Now that this version is released, where should we commit changes for
> 6.0.1?
> In my thoughts, 6.0 included all forthcoming 6.0.x. But the 6.0
> CHANGES is still the 6.0.0 one.
>
> If merging 6.0 => master is always possible, i guess that at some
> point, merging master => 6.0 will become impossible unless releasing
> 6.1..
>
> BR
> Samuel

Re: 6.0 branched from master

Hi Clément,

Le 31/01/2017 à 14:53, Clément David a écrit :

Finally,
Do not hesitate to ping us if you already have some bugfix commit in review on master and want
them
to be applied on the 6.0 branch.
  Doesn't the CodeReview +1 flag just mean this? I believed it does.
Yes it does for commit to be merged *in the master branch*.
For already pushed commits that are currently in master but expected to be part of 6.0.0, you should
ask the team or re-push on refs/for/6.0 by yourself.

I think that, by default, every commiter aims to propose and actually use in Scilab as soon as possible the code he/she commits , whatever is the branch.
Otherwise, he/she raises a CR-1 flag or put a WIP: in the commit message.
From here, if there are restrictions to enthusiastic commits, there are also gatekeepers :)