AMPL toolbox

Jean-Pierre Dussault Jean-Pierre Dussault

AMPL toolbox

Hi all!

is there a plan to adapt the toolbox soon?
https://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/ampl_toolbox

I teach classes in the summer term beginning on may the first. I will be
using this toolbox. If it is not ported, I will have to stick to 5.5.X
with its infamous "stacksize"...

Thx,

JPD

Re: AMPL toolbox

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Did you try contacting the maintainer Yann Colette ? This will be good to have its opinion on that.
He may be able to port it quickly. At least I suggest you to open an issue on the toolbox or on
scilab bugzilla (category toolbox) if there is no other way to contact the maintainer.

FYI currently there is no planned work to port external toolboxes by ESI (formerly S/E). Last year,
I suggest you to try porting it yourself and ask for help on the ML.

Le vendredi 31 mars 2017 à 09:50 -0400, Jean-Pierre Dussault a écrit :

> Hi all!
>
> is there a plan to adapt the toolbox soon?
> https://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/ampl_toolbox
>

> I teach classes in the summer term beginning on may the first. I will be
> using this toolbox. If it is not ported, I will have to stick to 5.5.X
> with its infamous "stacksize"...
>

> Thx,
>
> JPD

Re: AMPL toolbox

Hello Clément,

Le 03/04/2017 à 08:14, Clément David a écrit :
> Hi Jean-Pierre,
>
> Did you try contacting the maintainer Yann Colette ? This will be good to have its opinion on that.
> He may be able to port it quickly. At least I suggest you to open an issue on the toolbox or on
> scilab bugzilla (category toolbox) if there is no other way to contact the maintainer.
>
> FYI currently there is no planned work to port external toolboxes by ESI (formerly S/E).
BTW are there plans to port a *decent* and internal optimization package ?

S.

>   Last year,
> I suggest you to try porting it yourself and ask for help on the ML.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Clément
>
> Le vendredi 31 mars 2017 à 09:50 -0400, Jean-Pierre Dussault a écrit :
>> Hi all!
>>
>> is there a plan to adapt the toolbox soon?
>> https://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/ampl_toolbox
>>

>> I teach classes in the summer term beginning on may the first. I will be
>> using this toolbox. If it is not ported, I will have to stick to 5.5.X
>> with its infamous "stacksize"...
>>

>> Thx,
>>
>> JPD

Re: AMPL toolbox

Hi Stéphane,

Le lundi 03 avril 2017 à 08:53 +0200, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :
> BTW are there plans to port a *decent* and internal optimization package ?

Why not but what do you mean by *decent* ? using an external solver ?

IMHO Optimization is a wide topic where there is a lot of different solvers available. The current
Scilab implementation might not be sufficient for all needs but cover some of the common use-cases.

Pierre Vuillemin Pierre Vuillemin

Re: AMPL toolbox

Well, I was reacting to the "currently there is no planned work to port external toolboxes by ESI" because some of the actual *decent* internal computational stuff in Scilab (e.g. UMFpack) was initially developped as an external toolbox (by B. Pincon). As far as optimization stuff is concerned, the Sci_ipopt+Fmincon atoms packages should be considered by ESI.

The problem is that some users (like me) keep trying to solve not "common use-cases" problems with Scilab. The last two cases where I had to use something else than optim are :

1-a non-linear optimization problem with linear inequality constraints  (not that complicated, but optim does no handle this) where I had to switch to cfsqp (but stayed with Scilab here)
2-a difficult optimization problem where an interior-point method was the only successful one (here I had to switch to Matlab, sorry)

I could give you other cases where some computational internals of Scilab are a bit outdated. In the past 10 years the focus has been made on things that are visible (interface, graphics, widgets, ...)  and recently on language internals and much more. However, I think that the time has come to also update the stuff that would allows to do serious applied mathematics and not just solve "common use-cases". I hope that Scilab's future now depends on ESI is a good news.

Stéphane Mottelet

Le 03/04/2017 à 09:44, Pierre Vuillemin a écrit :
[...]

Département de Génie Informatique
Université de Technologie de Compiègne -  CS 60319
60203 Compiègne cedex