Check code on SCILAB``

Jaundre Venter Jaundre Venter

Check code on SCILAB``

Hi all

I am busy with 9 ordinary differential equations and are getting the wrong values and results and a few errors.

Now I just want to know is there like a "Check code/step in run or a debug run"  you can insert or do in SCILAB, to ask SCILAB to run the model and to stop if there is a error or to give you where you inserted the "Check code/step in run or a debug run" the results and if you are happy you just hit enter and then it goes to next line? I know visual basics can do that as I heard so I was just wondering if SCILAB can do it as well.

Then I am getting confuse with when to use a "comma, a semi comma, brackets or square brackets"
What and when do you normaly use "comma, a semi comma, brackets or square brackets" because I think I am not using it correctly?

Thanks
Serge Steer-3 Serge Steer-3

Re: Check code on SCILAB``

To help debugging a Scilab code you may use:

- the pause instruction at the point where an error is detected (editing the code)
- the setbpt command that can create a breakpoint at the specified line of the specified code. Quite similar to "pause" but do not requires to modify the source code.
- the errcatch(errn,'pause') instruction, that will make the code pause just after the error with number errn arises.
- finally you may also use the copy paste technic (copy one source code instruction at a time and paste it into the console)
I hope this will help you.

Serge Steer
INRIA

Francois Vogel-2 Francois Vogel-2

Re: Check code on SCILAB``

Another way to debug scripts written in Scilab language is the
graphical debugger integrated in the Scipad editor.

You can get Scipad from here:
   http://sourceforge.net/p/scipad

Version 8.66 was just released today:
   http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mathematics.scilab.user/4693

However, please note that the debugger cannot work with Scilab 5, but
it works with Scicoslab:
   http://www.scicoslab.org/

Best regards,
Francois

Serge Steer said on 04/08/2011 18:06:

> To help debugging a Scilab code you may use:
>
> - the pause instruction at the point where an error is detected
> (editing the code)
> - the setbpt command that can create a breakpoint at the specified
> line of the specified code. Quite similar to "pause" but do not
> requires to modify the source code.
> - the errcatch(errn,'pause') instruction, that will make the code
> pause just after the error with number errn arises.
> - finally you may also use the copy paste technic (copy one source
> code instruction at a time and paste it into the console)
> I hope this will help you.
>
> Serge Steer
> INRIA

Thank you will try that

Another way to debug scripts written in Scilab language is the
graphical debugger integrated in the Scipad editor.

You can get Scipad from here:
   http://sourceforge.net/p/scipad

Version 8.66 was just released today:
   http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mathematics.scilab.user/4693

However, please note that the debugger cannot work with Scilab 5, but
it works with Scicoslab:
   http://www.scicoslab.org/

Best regards,
Francois

Serge Steer said on 04/08/2011 18:06:

> To help debugging a Scilab code you may use:
>
> - the pause instruction at the point where an error is detected
> (editing the code)
> - the setbpt command that can create a breakpoint at the specified
> line of the specified code. Quite similar to "pause" but do not
> requires to modify the source code.
> - the errcatch(errn,'pause') instruction, that will make the code
> pause just after the error with number errn arises.
> - finally you may also use the copy paste technic (copy one source
> code instruction at a time and paste it into the console)
> I hope this will help you.
>
> Serge Steer
> INRIA

Thanks will try and see if it works

Many thanks

farimani farimani

Re: Check code on SCILAB``

I was wondering if there is any way to force the interpreter check all the
syntax, including the ones inside the functions, while/for loops, if
statement ...?

Re: Check code on SCILAB``

Hi Farimani,

You could check the syntax by "executing" the function definition while writing it. The interpreter will catch some simple syntax issues and redefine the function each time you execute it.

Using slint, might also help you to get more warnings.