Double value and single value in gui.pot

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Yung-Jang Lee Yung-Jang Lee
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Double value and single value in gui.pot

Hi all,

In gui.pot , I found following different messages

      'A double value expected',
      'A double expected',
      'Scalar value expected',
      'A value expected',
      'Single value expected'

and they all means 'A real or complex'.

I module gui, 'double value' means 'real or complex matrix', 'single value' means '1x1 matrix' and 'A..' also means  '1x1 matrix' . Follow this way,   we have

'A double vaule'  == 'Single value'  == 'A value'.
 
I think this induce unnecessary mistake. It is better to replace 'double value'  to 'real or complex matrix' or just 'matrix'  in gui module.

YungLee
 
Shiqi Yu Shiqi Yu
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Double value and single value in gui.pot

I think they are all means a double float point real scalar(1x1 matrix), but we can't replace them with 'real or complex matrix'.
First, if we use 'matrix', users will input a MxN (M,N>1) matrix.
Second, I think they must be real and can't be complex.


2008/5/27 Yung-Jang Lee <[hidden email]>:
Hi all,

In gui.pot , I found following different messages

      'A double value expected',
      'A double expected',
      'Scalar value expected',
      'A value expected',
      'Single value expected'

and they all means 'A real or complex'.

I module gui, 'double value' means 'real or complex matrix', 'single value' means '1x1 matrix' and 'A..' also means  '1x1 matrix' . Follow this way,   we have

'A double vaule'  == 'Single value'  == 'A value'.
 
I think this induce unnecessary mistake. It is better to replace 'double value'  to 'real or complex matrix' or just 'matrix'  in gui module.

YungLee
 



--
Shiqi Yu
Shenzhen Institute of Advanced Technology,
Chinese Academy of Sciences.
Homepage: http://yushiqi.cn
Sylvestre Ledru Sylvestre Ledru
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Double value and single value in gui.pot

Thanks again guy, it is much appreciated !

We are going to replace all these mistakes by:
"Real or complex matrix"

And replace all the "single value" by "a value"

We are doing these changes in the code and upload them to launchpad.

S



Le mardi 27 mai 2008 à 08:59 +0800, Shiqi Yu a écrit :

> I think they are all means a double float point real scalar(1x1
> matrix), but we can't replace them with 'real or complex matrix'.
> First, if we use 'matrix', users will input a MxN (M,N>1) matrix.
> Second, I think they must be real and can't be complex.
>
>
> 2008/5/27 Yung-Jang Lee <[hidden email]>:
>         Hi all,
>        
>         In gui.pot , I found following different messages
>        
>               'A double value expected',
>               'A double expected',
>               'Scalar value expected',
>               'A value expected',
>               'Single value expected'
>        
>         and they all means 'A real or complex'.
>        
>         I module gui, 'double value' means 'real or complex matrix',
>         'single value' means '1x1 matrix' and 'A..' also means  '1x1
>         matrix' . Follow this way,   we have
>        
>         'A double vaule'  == 'Single value'  == 'A value'.
>          
>         I think this induce unnecessary mistake. It is better to
>         replace 'double value'  to 'real or complex matrix' or just
>         'matrix'  in gui module.
>        
>         YungLee
>          
>
>
>
> --
> Shiqi Yu
> Shenzhen Institute of Advanced Technology,
> Chinese Academy of Sciences.
> Homepage: http://yushiqi.cn


Yung-Jang Lee Yung-Jang Lee
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Double value and single value in gui.pot

In reply to this post by Shiqi Yu
If we ever trace the code, (for example GUI\sci_gateway\c\sci_delmenu.c)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      // Unset a Menu a Scilab Graphic Window
      if (VarType(1) != sci_matrix)
        {
          Scierror(999, _("%s: Wrong type for first input argument: Double value expected.\n"),fname);
          return FALSE;
        }
      GetRhsVar(1, MATRIX_OF_DOUBLE_DATATYPE, &nbRow, &nbCol, &stkAdr);
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Double value' always maps to 'MATRIX_OF_DOUBLE_DATATYPE' which means 'real or complex matrix' in Scilab. (Memory representation of variables or http://wiki.scilab.org/Localization_in_English_-_Standard_messages
).

But if we follow the gui context then 'Double value' seems to  mean 'a real' (I don't expect to read any complex value in GUI applications).

The use of 'Double value' causes trouble in interpretation of the meaning, especially if coupled with the use of  'Single value' which means 1x1 matrix.

To avoid mistake, use 'a real' if it really need  a real, 'real matrix' if we need a real matrix or 'real or complex matrix' if we need a  generic data.


YungLee

2008/5/27 Shiqi Yu <[hidden email]>:
I think they are all means a double float point real scalar(1x1 matrix), but we can't replace them with 'real or complex matrix'.
First, if we use 'matrix', users will input a MxN (M,N>1) matrix.
Second, I think they must be real and can't be complex.


2008/5/27 Yung-Jang Lee <[hidden email]>:

Hi all,

In gui.pot , I found following different messages

      'A double value expected',
      'A double expected',
      'Scalar value expected',
      'A value expected',
      'Single value expected'

and they all means 'A real or complex'.

I module gui, 'double value' means 'real or complex matrix', 'single value' means '1x1 matrix' and 'A..' also means  '1x1 matrix' . Follow this way,   we have

'A double vaule'  == 'Single value'  == 'A value'.
 
I think this induce unnecessary mistake. It is better to replace 'double value'  to 'real or complex matrix' or just 'matrix'  in gui module.

YungLee
 



--
Shiqi Yu
Shenzhen Institute of Advanced Technology,
Chinese Academy of Sciences.
Homepage: http://yushiqi.cn

Sylvestre Ledru Sylvestre Ledru
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Double value and single value in gui.pot

Hmmm, after a quick look with Vincent C. (who is also on this mailing
list), we realize that, yes, 'MATRIX_OF_DOUBLE_DATATYPE' is badly
choose name in the source. It is causing confusion in the code.
We are going to rename it to something like
MATRIX_OF_REAL_OR_COMPLEX_DATATYPE
Any comments on this?

> To avoid mistake, use 'a real' if it really need  a real, 'real
> matrix' if we need a real matrix or 'real or complex matrix' if we
> need a  generic data.
Yep, we are reading all messages (you can imagine how sexy it is) and
changing thme.

Sylvestre

PS: I c/c the dev mailing list since it is border-line.

Le mardi 27 mai 2008 à 20:08 +0800, Yung-Jang Lee a écrit :

> If we ever trace the code, (for example GUI\sci_gateway\c
> \sci_delmenu.c)
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>       // Unset a Menu a Scilab Graphic Window
>       if (VarType(1) != sci_matrix)
>         {
>           Scierror(999, _("%s: Wrong type for first input argument:
> Double value expected.\n"),fname);
>           return FALSE;
>         }
>       GetRhsVar(1, MATRIX_OF_DOUBLE_DATATYPE, &nbRow, &nbCol,
> &stkAdr);
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 'Double value' always maps to 'MATRIX_OF_DOUBLE_DATATYPE' which means
> 'real or complex matrix' in Scilab. (Memory representation of
> variables or
> http://wiki.scilab.org/Localization_in_English_-_Standard_messages
> ).
>
> But if we follow the gui context then 'Double value' seems to  mean 'a
> real' (I don't expect to read any complex value in GUI applications).
>
> The use of 'Double value' causes trouble in interpretation of the
> meaning, especially if coupled with the use of  'Single value' which
> means 1x1 matrix.
>
> To avoid mistake, use 'a real' if it really need  a real, 'real
> matrix' if we need a real matrix or 'real or complex matrix' if we
> need a  generic data.
>
>
> YungLee
>
> 2008/5/27 Shiqi Yu <[hidden email]>:
>         I think they are all means a double float point real
>         scalar(1x1 matrix), but we can't replace them with 'real or
>         complex matrix'.
>         First, if we use 'matrix', users will input a MxN (M,N>1)
>         matrix.
>         Second, I think they must be real and can't be complex.
>        
>        
>         2008/5/27 Yung-Jang Lee <[hidden email]>:
>        
>        
>                 Hi all,
>                
>                 In gui.pot , I found following different messages
>                
>                       'A double value expected',
>                       'A double expected',
>                       'Scalar value expected',
>                       'A value expected',
>                       'Single value expected'
>                
>                 and they all means 'A real or complex'.
>                
>                 I module gui, 'double value' means 'real or complex
>                 matrix', 'single value' means '1x1 matrix' and 'A..'
>                 also means  '1x1 matrix' . Follow this way,   we have
>                
>                 'A double vaule'  == 'Single value'  == 'A value'.
>                  
>                 I think this induce unnecessary mistake. It is better
>                 to replace 'double value'  to 'real or complex matrix'
>                 or just 'matrix'  in gui module.
>                
>                 YungLee
>                  
>        
>        
>        
>         --
>         Shiqi Yu
>         Shenzhen Institute of Advanced Technology,
>         Chinese Academy of Sciences.
>         Homepage: http://yushiqi.cn
>