[Gsoc] GSoC 2018: Interested Candidate

amanmehta amanmehta

[Gsoc] GSoC 2018: Interested Candidate

Greetings contributors and admins,

I am Aman Mehta, currently pursuing B.Tech and MS by research in Computer Science from International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad, India.

I read about scilab GSoC ideas page and I wish to contribute to scilab by working on a project - Machine Learning features in scilab. Currently, I have built scilab (PFA a screenshot with updated banner containing my name). I am getting more familiar with Scilab by solving a few bugs.
(Link to my commits: here)

Credibility: I have been writing programs in C/C++ since past 3 years now. I have completed course work on 'Statistical Methods in AI'. Additionally, I have also completed several Machine Learning projects using keras, scikit-learn and TensorFlow. I am familiar with concepts as well as implementation details associated with Machine Learning algorithms. I find it innately satisfying to design efficient and robust solutions - I am a regular problem solver and an Expert rated coder at algorithmic problems on Codeforces.

Interest: I am a research student who extensively uses these Machine Learning (ML) libraries and hence I know the importance of ML in today's development. I would like to complete this project with the motivation to provide scilab users an option to work with ML models.

I would truthfully appreciate an opportunity to contribute to scilab by taking up the project during summer 2018.
Looking forward to guidance from mentors on how to proceed ahead.

Sincerely,
Aman Mehta,
(irc: aman)

Re: GSoC 2018: Interested Candidate

Hello Aman and welcome,

As you are already on the road to have your patches validated, your last missing point is to write a
good proposal with:

 1. clear and detailled objectives
 2. verifiable milestones
 3. Some Scilab oriented demos

Be sure to read the guide [1] and check your draft against it !

[1]: https://google.github.io/gsocguides/student/writing-a-proposal