[Gsoc] MacOS DMG v4

Divyanshu Kumar Divyanshu Kumar

[Gsoc] MacOS DMG v4

Hello Everyone,

I am happy to present the v4 of MacOS Dmg of Scilab,
All previous versions have been removed from google drive, to save space.

Imp Note:- Please remove my older version of scilab before installing this version.

Changes / Bug Fixes:-

1. This version works perfectly with no code signing or any errors  on both 10.9 and 10.13( I hope so, but still I would be glad to hear test results on 10.9 and others too).

2. Fixed two icons in dock.(Now only one icon will appear).

3. Fixed one icon kept the application open in dock, even after scilab was quit.

4. The image used in dmg is now quite close to one in official dmg of Scilab.

Also very important point to note is this dmg is signed by my Developer ID ( Yes I had to buy a Developer membership which costed me about 100 $, which was really troublesome as Apple accepts only Credit card with International support or something like that),
There were some issues with Scilab Certificates and the Apple support was taking a lot of time to fix it, so I was a bit afraid that it might create some delays for upcoming evaluations, so I bought one for myself and code signed it.

I would love to share full documentation and video of generating signed dmg soon if there are no issues with installation and running on other systems.

I will be eagerly waiting for your evaluations / test run on your systems.

Please do let me know the results.

Regards
Divyanshu Kumar
National Institute of Technology, Raipur
India

Paul Bignier Paul Bignier

Re: MacOS DMG v4

Hello dvk,

Thank you for that new dmg.

Here's a stream of how it goes on my 10.13 (High Sierra):

https://ftpbox.esi-group.com/?u=lwIbD6y6&p=IHywkD0B&path=/scilabDMG.mov

As you can see it takes at least 1 minute to Verify the application, but after that I can launch it.

However, this wasn't the first time I started the Application and the first time it asked me for my admin password (I got a message like "This application requires administrator privileges to run for the first time."). After deleting the application, rebooting & reinstalling it, I didn't get the message again though.

You may want to look into that as previous scilabs didn't request it.

I guess this is still a step forward as I can just double-click the App now.

Best regards,

Paul

Paul BIGNIER
Development engineer
ESI Group - Scilab
99 rue des Solets - 94513 Rungis, France
Phone: +33.1.41.73.58.77
https://scilab.io
https://esi-group.com

Divyanshu Kumar Divyanshu Kumar

Re: MacOS DMG v4

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the review,
The verification should not take much time, I guess might be some network issues and verification is only for first time,
Also other open source app like ATOM takes similar time,

Regarding the admin password, I did add that myself so as to add some files in system to remove jdk6 requirement, which is done only if those files are not present, so when you reinstalled, those files were present so it didn't ask for anything.

However I will see if I could get another way of doing this, but admin password for first run is not that bad is it.

But I will definitely try to get another method for this.
Also I would be glad if you could test it on 10.9 too, I did make few changes for it, so it should work too.

Paul Bignier Paul Bignier

Paul Bignier Paul Bignier

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 12.17.19.png (985K) Download Attachment
Divyanshu Kumar Divyanshu Kumar

Re: MacOS DMG v4

Regarding the issue of long time to verify and start the application,

I am guessing it may be a problem with the system itself,
because I too tried in a different system ( MacBook Air - 128 GB model - 10.13 (High Sierra)) and it took a total of 41-42 seconds to verify and start,
here I am attaching the screen recording for a view: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nZGs3WXW7lMpKmo4tsdgKXmHgqIOunR2

I am working to find a way to avoid asking for root permission for starting Scilab.

Best Regards