[Gsoc] PIMS

Aditya Puranik Aditya Puranik

[Gsoc] PIMS

Hi,

The old PIMS works using python 2.7, doesn't support latest scilab
versions (6+) and not available on MacOS. If a new PIMS module is to be
written with the new API and supports Python 3, MacOS and the latest
versions, How would this task be divided up ?

We need to deal with python objects (elementary like int to complex like
dict and tuple), methods, errors, .etc

Similarly for a potential "R" API.

What chronological this be tackled in and what will be a rough time line
for these tasks?

Thanks,

Aditya Puranik

Re: PIMS

Hi Aditya,

You are right, the PIMS project need some work to be upgraded to python 3 and a recent numpy API.
However at that time, I am not aware of the details behind a migration but the idea might be first
to iterate to port the current features first and then upgrade the datatype coverage (to convert
Python dict to Scilab struct or tlist for example).

At first I suggest to follow the GSoC timeline to port, tests and document the port. A rough
estimate can be evaluated by trying to compile on recent linux system (commenting out all API
breakage).