[Gsoc] Question about GSoC projects

Yunxi Xiong Yunxi Xiong

[Gsoc] Question about GSoC projects

Hello!

The first basic requirement says introduce yourself on the GSoC ML. However, the link seems to be broken. So is there any problem?

Also, what does the GSoC priorities mean?

And if I choose to work on a project whose difficulty level is 5, how many hours are expected to contribute to this project per week?

Thanks for your attention,

Yunxi

Caioc2 Caioc2

Re: Question about GSoC projects

Hi,

GSOC priority is the priority for the project, for example if there are two students with equal skills,but only one must be chosen, the one with a high priority project will (probably) be chosen.

About difficulty it is not directly related to how much hours of work, you may have lots of work but they are simple, while you may have a single task which require non-trivial skills and solutions.

Beside that, usually students work 20~40 hours/week on their projects.

Best regards,
Caio SOUZA

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 8:49 PM, Yunxi Xiong <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello!

The first basic requirement says introduce yourself on the GSoC ML. However, the link seems to be broken. So is there any problem?

Also, what does the GSoC priorities mean?

And if I choose to work on a project whose difficulty level is 5, how many hours are expected to contribute to this project per week?

Thanks for your attention,

Yunxi

Re: Question about GSoC projects

Hi Yunxi and welcome,

What link are you talking about ? Something in the org description ? in the wiki ?

The GSoC priorities are described in the wiki page and basically means "idea with an associated
mentor, needed for the future". So this is not a strong "must" to fulfill, just a subset of "Idea of
development" [1] focused on easiness and motivated mentors availability.

To be selected as a student, you should work "full-time" on your proposal accordingly to the Google
guidelines [2].

[1]: https://wiki.scilab.org/Ideas%20of%20development%20for%20Scilab
[2]: http://write.flossmanuals.net/gsocstudentguide/time-management-for-students/