[Gsoc] Scilab compilation with jdk10

Divyanshu Kumar Divyanshu Kumar

[Gsoc] Scilab compilation with jdk10

I am happy to share that I did made a small progress with compiling Scilab with jdk10, problem is not difficult but just hard to find.
These are a few  problems:
  1. javah was removed from jdk10
    Fix-> add no error when javah is not found in m4/java.m4
  2. jdk8 was specified as source and target in build.incl.xml (111:217) which stopped the compilation with newer version.
    Fix-> Remove source and target from this.
  3. But again java.xml.bind was depreciated from jdk9 onwards, so it was causing an error.
    Fix -> compilerarg line="--add-modules java.xml.bind" to build.incl.xml
But still I have not got it properly working for jdk10, I hope I don't get failed in the  evaluations, I just need a bit more time, I guess I can fix it.
However the script for compiling scilab with jdk8 works well and good (which was the target for evaluation 1), I request my mentors to please keep this jdk10 issue in evaluation2, I will try my best to figure out its solution and send a full proper patch.

Regards
Divyanshu Kumar
NIT Raipur
--
Sent from Divyanshu's Tablet pc

Re: Scilab compilation with jdk10

Hello Divyanshu,

Thanks for these information, this really good to have a valid jdk8 build for the first evaluation
however keep in mind that the goal of this GSoC is to have a concrete and documented way to generate
an installer on Mac machines which will:
 - install Scilab on Mac
 - ship all dependencies, not relying on system extra setup
 - be compliant with an Apple App signature

IMHO as far as the Scilab installer ships a JRE8 and a JDK8 dependent Scilab binary, having an up to
date jdk10 build is not the easiest way to reach the goal. This effort is very valuable *but* it
will not help you achieve the second milestone which is "bundling the JRE with the application".

For the first evaluation, your mentors will check that your script is working and that's all :)

Thanks for your efforts,

Le vendredi 08 juin 2018 à 10:24 +0530, Divyanshu Kumar a écrit :

> I am happy to share that I did made a small progress with compiling Scilab with jdk10, problem is
> not difficult but just hard to find.
> These are a few  problems:
> javah was removed from jdk10
> Fix-> add no error when javah is not found in m4/java.m4
> jdk8 was specified as source and target in build.incl.xml (111:217) which stopped the compilation
> with newer version.
> Fix-> Remove source and target from this.
> But again java.xml.bind was depreciated from jdk9 onwards, so it was causing an error.
> Fix -> compilerarg line="--add-modules java.xml.bind" to build.incl.xml
> But still I have not got it properly working for jdk10, I hope I don't get failed in the
>  evaluations, I just need a bit more time, I guess I can fix it.
> However the script for compiling scilab with jdk8 works well and good (which was the target for
> evaluation 1), I request my mentors to please keep this jdk10 issue in evaluation2, I will try my
> best to figure out its solution and send a full proper patch.
> Today's blog: https://dvkcool.github.io/gsoc-2018/blog/806.html
>
> Regards
> Divyanshu Kumar
> NIT Raipur
> --
> Sent from Divyanshu's Tablet pc
Divyanshu Kumar Divyanshu Kumar

Re: Scilab compilation with jdk10

Thank you sir for your guidance,
I guess this effort will not help in goal completion, so I will be skipping the jdk10 part
And focus more on the prime objective.
Thanks a lot again.
Regards
Divyanshu Kumar