[Gsoc] UIcontrol export

nikhil goel nikhil goel

[Gsoc] UIcontrol export

Thanks for accepting my proposal, I am very excited to work on improving UI for Scilab. I have a few questions:

  • Is there anything else I need to add apart from what was written in the proposal?
  • How should I update the mentors about my progress?
If there are no suggestions I will continue to work on the proposal as proposed.

Looking forward to working with you!

Best,
Nikhil

Re: UIcontrol export

Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for asking ; about your UIControl proposal, as you open the subject at the end ; you will
still need to work after all UIControl implementation.

I suggest you to setup a wiki.scilab.org page to track your target, deadlines and uicontrol coverage
progress. A good example to follow is https://wiki.scilab.org/GSoC_2016_Caio_SOUZA :) .

Le mercredi 17 mai 2017 à 09:54 +0530, nikhil goel a écrit :

> Thanks for accepting my proposal, I am very excited to work on improving UI for Scilab. I have a
> few questions:
>
> Is there anything else I need to add apart from what was written in the proposal?
> How should I update the mentors about my progress?
> If there are no suggestions I will continue to work on the proposal as proposed.
>
> Looking forward to working with you!
>
> Best,
> Nikhil
nikhil goel nikhil goel

Re: UIcontrol export

Hello,

Yes, I am planning on working on improving uicontrols if I am able to finish the project before time.

I have created the first draft for the page https://wiki.scilab.org/nikhilgoel199797%40gmail.com#preview
I will edit and add all necessary information about the project on the page as I proceed with my project.

Is there anything else I need to do right now?

Thanks
Nikhil

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Clément David <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for asking ; about your UIControl proposal, as you open the subject at the end ; you will
still need to work after all UIControl implementation.

I suggest you to setup a wiki.scilab.org page to track your target, deadlines and uicontrol coverage
progress. A good example to follow is https://wiki.scilab.org/GSoC_2016_Caio_SOUZA :) .

Le mercredi 17 mai 2017 à 09:54 +0530, nikhil goel a écrit :
> Thanks for accepting my proposal, I am very excited to work on improving UI for Scilab. I have a
> few questions:
>
> Is there anything else I need to add apart from what was written in the proposal?
> How should I update the mentors about my progress?
> If there are no suggestions I will continue to work on the proposal as proposed.
>
> Looking forward to working with you!
>
> Best,
> Nikhil
Caioc2 Caioc2

Re: UIcontrol export

Hi,

We are not in the official coding phase, but I think now is the best time to investigate  how exactly you are going to implement the proposed features, what possible roadblocks/limitations you see in the existing code that may affect your work, and so on.

This can help make the coding phase smoother and simpler, the process above also may help you write/propose ideas in the wiki page.

Best,
Caio SOUZA

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 2:06 PM, nikhil goel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

Yes, I am planning on working on improving uicontrols if I am able to finish the project before time.

I have created the first draft for the page https://wiki.scilab.org/nikhilgoel199797%40gmail.com#preview
I will edit and add all necessary information about the project on the page as I proceed with my project.

Is there anything else I need to do right now?

Thanks
Nikhil

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Clément David <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for asking ; about your UIControl proposal, as you open the subject at the end ; you will
still need to work after all UIControl implementation.

I suggest you to setup a wiki.scilab.org page to track your target, deadlines and uicontrol coverage
progress. A good example to follow is https://wiki.scilab.org/GSoC_2016_Caio_SOUZA :) .

Le mercredi 17 mai 2017 à 09:54 +0530, nikhil goel a écrit :
> Thanks for accepting my proposal, I am very excited to work on improving UI for Scilab. I have a
> few questions:
>
> Is there anything else I need to add apart from what was written in the proposal?
> How should I update the mentors about my progress?
> If there are no suggestions I will continue to work on the proposal as proposed.
>
> Looking forward to working with you!
>
> Best,
> Nikhil
nikhil goel nikhil goel

Re: UIcontrol export

Hello,

UIcontrols are not added in the canvas which is used to export the figure. Precisely line 159 of Export.java does this.
If we add uicontrols to the canvas which is exported, it will work.
Does this analysis looks correct?
I have been trying to add uicontrols to canvas but I am a bit stuck. It will be really helpful if you could give me any suggestions!

Thanks.
Nikhil

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 6:09 AM, Caio Souza <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

We are not in the official coding phase, but I think now is the best time to investigate  how exactly you are going to implement the proposed features, what possible roadblocks/limitations you see in the existing code that may affect your work, and so on.

This can help make the coding phase smoother and simpler, the process above also may help you write/propose ideas in the wiki page.

Best,
Caio SOUZA

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 2:06 PM, nikhil goel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

Yes, I am planning on working on improving uicontrols if I am able to finish the project before time.

I have created the first draft for the page https://wiki.scilab.org/nikhilgoel199797%40gmail.com#preview
I will edit and add all necessary information about the project on the page as I proceed with my project.

Is there anything else I need to do right now?

Thanks
Nikhil

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Clément David <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for asking ; about your UIControl proposal, as you open the subject at the end ; you will
still need to work after all UIControl implementation.

I suggest you to setup a wiki.scilab.org page to track your target, deadlines and uicontrol coverage
progress. A good example to follow is https://wiki.scilab.org/GSoC_2016_Caio_SOUZA :) .

Le mercredi 17 mai 2017 à 09:54 +0530, nikhil goel a écrit :
> Thanks for accepting my proposal, I am very excited to work on improving UI for Scilab. I have a
> few questions:
>
> Is there anything else I need to add apart from what was written in the proposal?
> How should I update the mentors about my progress?
> If there are no suggestions I will continue to work on the proposal as proposed.
>
> Looking forward to working with you!
>
> Best,
> Nikhil
Caioc2 Caioc2

Re: UIcontrol export

Hi,

Could you send your current work to codereview, so I can take a look, dont mind about it being unfinished you can override/improve it in later patches.

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 8:29 AM, nikhil goel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

UIcontrols are not added in the canvas which is used to export the figure. Precisely line 159 of Export.java does this.
If we add uicontrols to the canvas which is exported, it will work.
Does this analysis looks correct?
I have been trying to add uicontrols to canvas but I am a bit stuck. It will be really helpful if you could give me any suggestions!

Thanks.
Nikhil

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 6:09 AM, Caio Souza <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

We are not in the official coding phase, but I think now is the best time to investigate  how exactly you are going to implement the proposed features, what possible roadblocks/limitations you see in the existing code that may affect your work, and so on.

This can help make the coding phase smoother and simpler, the process above also may help you write/propose ideas in the wiki page.

Best,
Caio SOUZA

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 2:06 PM, nikhil goel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

Yes, I am planning on working on improving uicontrols if I am able to finish the project before time.

I have created the first draft for the page https://wiki.scilab.org/nikhilgoel199797%40gmail.com#preview
I will edit and add all necessary information about the project on the page as I proceed with my project.

Is there anything else I need to do right now?

Thanks
Nikhil

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Clément David <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for asking ; about your UIControl proposal, as you open the subject at the end ; you will
still need to work after all UIControl implementation.

I suggest you to setup a wiki.scilab.org page to track your target, deadlines and uicontrol coverage
progress. A good example to follow is https://wiki.scilab.org/GSoC_2016_Caio_SOUZA :) .

Le mercredi 17 mai 2017 à 09:54 +0530, nikhil goel a écrit :
> Thanks for accepting my proposal, I am very excited to work on improving UI for Scilab. I have a
> few questions:
>
> Is there anything else I need to add apart from what was written in the proposal?
> How should I update the mentors about my progress?
> If there are no suggestions I will continue to work on the proposal as proposed.
>
> Looking forward to working with you!
>
> Best,
> Nikhil
nikhil goel nikhil goel

Re: UIcontrol export

Hello,

I am sorry but since it was not working, I undo'd most of it.
Currently I have added a uicontrol(Checkbox) to visitor pattern and am trying to add it to canvas by writing the code in drawervisitor.java
Since IP reaches drawervisitor after all the properties have been set in swingscilabcheckbox.java, it's safe to assume that the final checkbox will be added to the canvas if I write the code in drawervisitor.
It's not much but if you'd like I'll send this code to codereview.

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 9:35 PM, Caio Souza <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Could you send your current work to codereview, so I can take a look, dont mind about it being unfinished you can override/improve it in later patches.

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 8:29 AM, nikhil goel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

UIcontrols are not added in the canvas which is used to export the figure. Precisely line 159 of Export.java does this.
If we add uicontrols to the canvas which is exported, it will work.
Does this analysis looks correct?
I have been trying to add uicontrols to canvas but I am a bit stuck. It will be really helpful if you could give me any suggestions!

Thanks.
Nikhil

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 6:09 AM, Caio Souza <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

We are not in the official coding phase, but I think now is the best time to investigate  how exactly you are going to implement the proposed features, what possible roadblocks/limitations you see in the existing code that may affect your work, and so on.

This can help make the coding phase smoother and simpler, the process above also may help you write/propose ideas in the wiki page.

Best,
Caio SOUZA

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 2:06 PM, nikhil goel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

Yes, I am planning on working on improving uicontrols if I am able to finish the project before time.

I have created the first draft for the page https://wiki.scilab.org/nikhilgoel199797%40gmail.com#preview
I will edit and add all necessary information about the project on the page as I proceed with my project.

Is there anything else I need to do right now?

Thanks
Nikhil

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Clément David <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for asking ; about your UIControl proposal, as you open the subject at the end ; you will
still need to work after all UIControl implementation.

I suggest you to setup a wiki.scilab.org page to track your target, deadlines and uicontrol coverage
progress. A good example to follow is https://wiki.scilab.org/GSoC_2016_Caio_SOUZA :) .

Le mercredi 17 mai 2017 à 09:54 +0530, nikhil goel a écrit :
> Thanks for accepting my proposal, I am very excited to work on improving UI for Scilab. I have a
> few questions:
>
> Is there anything else I need to add apart from what was written in the proposal?
> How should I update the mentors about my progress?
> If there are no suggestions I will continue to work on the proposal as proposed.
>
> Looking forward to working with you!
>
> Best,
> Nikhil
Caioc2 Caioc2

Re: UIcontrol export

Yes, send it please.

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 1:55 PM, nikhil goel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Clément David <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for asking ; about your UIControl proposal, as you open the subject at the end ; you will
still need to work after all UIControl implementation.

I suggest you to setup a wiki.scilab.org page to track your target, deadlines and uicontrol coverage
progress. A good example to follow is https://wiki.scilab.org/GSoC_2016_Caio_SOUZA :) .

Le mercredi 17 mai 2017 à 09:54 +0530, nikhil goel a écrit :
> Thanks for accepting my proposal, I am very excited to work on improving UI for Scilab. I have a
> few questions:
>
> Is there anything else I need to add apart from what was written in the proposal?
> How should I update the mentors about my progress?
> If there are no suggestions I will continue to work on the proposal as proposed.

nikhil goel nikhil goel

Re: UIcontrol export

https://codereview.scilab.org/#/c/19276/
I'm editing code in drawervisitor.java currently

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 10:48 PM, Caio Souza <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Clément David <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for asking ; about your UIControl proposal, as you open the subject at the end ; you will
still need to work after all UIControl implementation.

I suggest you to setup a wiki.scilab.org page to track your target, deadlines and uicontrol coverage
progress. A good example to follow is https://wiki.scilab.org/GSoC_2016_Caio_SOUZA :) .

Le mercredi 17 mai 2017 à 09:54 +0530, nikhil goel a écrit :
> Thanks for accepting my proposal, I am very excited to work on improving UI for Scilab. I have a
> few questions:
>
> Is there anything else I need to add apart from what was written in the proposal?
> How should I update the mentors about my progress?
> If there are no suggestions I will continue to work on the proposal as proposed.

Re: UIcontrol export

Thanks Nikhil,

As Caio wrote, we usually use the codereview as a way to exchange and track development progress.
Pushing regularly your advancement will help us understanding the current blocking points.

So in one sentence : please push before asking for help :)