JOGL java OpenGL library

Johan Wesselink Johan Wesselink

JOGL java OpenGL library

I build scilab from the scilab branch master under lubuntu.
This went well except for the JOGL2 library.

I noticed that almost all modern distros come with its own version of this library.
The library is currently redistributed. However, there is a library problem in which
a dynamic library doesn't return the correct string. If I remember correctly this is the latest MesagGL library. The redistributed version is no longer compatible with the latest mesa library.

This is a well known problem and all distributions package scilab using the
new version.
They are aware that search path for the library in Java is modfied from
javax.opengl to com.jogamp.
Every distribution uses a patch which patches a set of java files and adapts the configure.ac

I am very curious if there is an incentive to integrate this modification into the current
master branch and link to a new version of JOGL2. This will make it much easier to
compile scilab from scratch.

I do this because I am interested on working on XCOS.. This is a very cool tool
which still needs a lot of work.

Sincerely
Johan Wesselink

Re: JOGL java OpenGL library

Hello Johan,

Yep the patch is already in review [1] however we should rebuild jogl2 to ship it within our
thirdparties. Currently to build Scilab for yourself with the latest jogl2 version from your
distribution, apply it before building.

[1]: https://codereview.scilab.org/#/c/17530/

Le mercredi 25 juillet 2018 à 22:09 -0300, Johan Wesselink a écrit :

> I build scilab from the scilab branch master under lubuntu.
> This went well except for the JOGL2 library.
>
> I noticed that almost all modern distros come with its own version of this library.
> The library is currently redistributed. However, there is a library problem in which
> a dynamic library doesn't return the correct string. If I remember correctly this is the latest
> MesagGL library. The redistributed version is no longer compatible with the latest mesa library.
>
> This is a well known problem and all distributions package scilab using the
> new version.
> They are aware that search path for the library in Java is modfied from
> javax.opengl to com.jogamp.
> Every distribution uses a patch which patches a set of java files and adapts the configure.ac
>
> I am very curious if there is an incentive to integrate this modification into the current
> master branch and link to a new version of JOGL2. This will make it much easier to
> compile scilab from scratch.
>
> I do this because I am interested on working on XCOS.. This is a very cool tool
> which still needs a lot of work.
>
> Sincerely
> Johan Wesselink
Johan Wesselink Johan Wesselink

Re: JOGL java OpenGL library

Thanks Clément,

I made the modifications by hand in the different files. Not that many files!
Had a quick look at the patch set it does exactly the same as mine as far as I can see.

I can now compile an working Scilab from the master branch.However, I noticed that there is still a selection bug in the plot window.
The red markers are correct. However, the rubber box is drawn upside down.
I don't know if this is also fixed in this patch set. But it is a really old bug which is not any longer present in Scilab 6.0.1
So at one moment in time it was fixed. I am curious if I introduced this bug myself because I linked against an external
version of JOGL2 which may or may not contain this bug. In other words is this bug fixed JOGL2 library you are using?

Thanks,

Johan