License of Scilab 5

Sylvestre Ledru Sylvestre Ledru

License of Scilab 5

Hello,

A big step for Scilab! It took a while, but here we are.

The INRIA and the Scilab Consortium have finally decided to change the
license of Scilab to CeCILL [1] [2].

The CeCILL (from "CEA CNRS INRIA Logiciel Libre") license is a free (as
beer and speech) license.
This license has been designed for both french and international laws
and to be "GPL-Compatible" [3].

Thanks to this change, we send a strong signal of openness and free
software orientation.
By this action, we also intend to extend the use of Scilab by other free
projects/software and facilitate the integration of Scilab in free
Linux/BSD distributions.

PS: Technically speaking, we will soon release the Alpha version of
Scilab 5. This version will be released under the term of the CeCILL
license. However, we are aware of a few licenses issues which will be
dealt with later.

[1] http://www.cecill.info/index.en.html
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CeCILL
[3] http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/#CeCILL

Francois Vogel-2 Francois Vogel-2

Re: License of Scilab 5

Sylvestre Ledru said on 07/02/2008 15:32:
> The INRIA and the Scilab Consortium have finally decided to change the
> license of Scilab to CeCILL [1] [2].

So you abandoned the dual licensing scheme. Please confirm.

Moreover which CeCILL are you talking about here? Cecill-A ? please
clarify.

> PS: Technically speaking, we will soon release the Alpha version of
> Scilab 5. This version will be released under the term of the CeCILL
> license. However, we are aware of a few licenses issues which will be
> dealt with later.

Scipad must be among those. Please confirm.

Several contributors have sent a formal letter to the Scilab
Consortium about the license change recently and we would like to get
a formal answer from the Consortium (and not from Sylvestre Ledru).
This can also be brought to the public place if the Consortium likes
it better.

Francois

Sylvestre Ledru Sylvestre Ledru

Re: [Scilab-Dev] Re: License of Scilab 5

Le vendredi 08 février 2008 à 08:25 +0100, François Vogel a écrit :
> Sylvestre Ledru said on 07/02/2008 15:32:
> > The INRIA and the Scilab Consortium have finally decided to change
> the
> > license of Scilab to CeCILL [1] [2].
>
> So you abandoned the dual licensing scheme. Please confirm.
As you said, not an answer for Sylvestre Ledru.

> Moreover which CeCILL are you talking about here? Cecill-A ? please
> clarify.
In fact, there is no CeCILL-A. The first one is called CeCILL.
http://www.cecill.info/licences.en.html

Sylvestre