Localization behavior

Sylvestre Ledru Sylvestre Ledru

Localization behavior

Hello,

We are thinking about how the localization should be handle in Scilab.

At the moment, when Scilab is launched, each time, we are loading the
locale of the system and if we have the matching translation, we load
it. Otherwise, we switch back to english.
This behaviour is the standard one under Linux but we might want the
user to keep his favorite language when he starts Scilab.

We have one potential solution :

Under Windows, on the installation, the user choose his language and we
save it in the configuration (registry base).

Under Linux, we detect it each time the user starts Scilab which
language is the default one on the system.
However, by calling the function setdefaultlanguage("xx_XX"), we are
saving the language he wants into the Scilab configuration file.

How does it sound ?
Cheers,
Sylvestre

Enrico Segre Enrico Segre

Re: Localization behavior

Sylvestre,
do you realize that you're consulting the community for a truly
irrelevant point (how one session preference is saved), whereas for
ongoing development with a much larger impact (gui reimplemenation in
java) you simply let questions fall?
Enrico

Sylvestre Ledru Sylvestre Ledru

Re: Localization behavior

It was not exactly the kind of message I was expecting ! ;)

We are not talking about the GUI (and rendering) devs because, as you
said, it is a reimplementation.
Except a few details, at the moment, we aim to achieve the same level of
features as Scilab 4.1.2 in Scilab 5.0. Therefore, we don't see much to
discuss here.
However, I think you noticed that, we are ready and open to answer to
any questions/remarks you might have on the current dev and
implementation choices.

We are a bit late on the version and consequently a *bit* busy; but I
assure you will consult much more the community in the future devs.

Cheers,
Sylvestre

Le mercredi 30 janvier 2008 à 15:29 +0200, Enrico Segre a écrit :
> Sylvestre,
> do you realize that you're consulting the community for a truly
> irrelevant point (how one session preference is saved), whereas for
> ongoing development with a much larger impact (gui reimplemenation in
> java) you simply let questions fall?
> Enrico

Vincent COUVERT-3 Vincent COUVERT-3

Re: Localization behavior

As a Scilab user, the behavior I would have for Scilab is :
 - if I do not precise the locale I want to use: Scilab uses the default
locale of my system
 - if I do not want to use the locale of my system, I precise in a
Scilab configuration file which locale I want to use

We have to remember that the locale settings must be read before Scilab
GUIs are created but after all Scilab functions are loaded (to have
access to localization functions).

Vincent

Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> We are thinking about how the localization should be handle in Scilab.
>
> At the moment, when Scilab is launched, each time, we are loading the
> locale of the system and if we have the matching translation, we load
> it. Otherwise, we switch back to english.
> This behaviour is the standard one under Linux but we might want the
> user to keep his favorite language when he starts Scilab.
>
> We have one potential solution :
>
> Under Windows, on the installation, the user choose his language and we
> save it in the configuration (registry base).
>
> Under Linux, we detect it each time the user starts Scilab which
> language is the default one on the system.
> However, by calling the function setdefaultlanguage("xx_XX"), we are
> saving the language he wants into the Scilab configuration file.
>
> How does it sound ?
> Cheers,
> Sylvestre

Vincent COUVERT
Centre de Recherche INRIA Paris-Rocquencourt
Domaine de Voluceau - B.P. 105
78153 Le Chesnay Cedex
Equipe Projet SCILAB
Bâtiment 1B - Bureau 013
Email : [hidden email]
Tél : +33 (0)1 39 63 54 46
Fax : +33 (0)1 39 63 55 94

Laurent Vaylet Laurent Vaylet

Re: Localization behavior

Many many weeks ago, in a far far away city called Lyon, when i was a
consultant, we used to design software that way:

The first time the application was launched, the user was given a choice
through a popup menu : french or english (independently of the OS
language) ? This setting was saved in a file and retrieved at the next
startup. At any moment, the user could decide to switch language through
a menu item and the new setting applied immediately for both GUI and
help files (and perhaps unit system). Would it be possible with Scilab ?

Anyway, i agree with Vincent on the fact that functions must be loaded
first and independently of this setting.

Laurent