Migrating To Visual Studio 2008 on Windows

Allan CORNET-2 Allan CORNET-2

Migrating To Visual Studio 2008 on Windows

Hi,

We are going to migrate Scilab solutions to Visual studio 2008 on Windows.

You can learn how to do build Scilab 5 with Visual studio 2008 here: http://wiki.scilab.org/Compiling_Scilab_5.x_under_Windows

We advise you to uninstall Intel compilers and VS 2005 before installing VS 2008 (Pro or Express).

What's new in Visual C++ 2008 is listed here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb384632.aspx

For Scilab, the main improvements are:
-- Visual studio 2008 express is easier to install (Visual C++ Express Edition now includes the Windows SDK )
-- Easier to build a x64 version
-- Scilab can be compiled more quickly with the support of several cores
-- Better support for Windows Vista and Windows 2008 Server.
-- C compiler supports Intel Core 2 duo optimizations.

We expect to migrate to Visual Studio 2008 Solution on Monday, 17th march 2008.

We will commit new Scilab solutions and you will need to update your prerequirements for Scilab too.

Best Regards

Allan CORNET

Allan CORNET
Scilab Consortium
http://www.scilab.org
INRIA - Unité de Recherche de Rocquencourt
Domaine de Voluceau - B.P. 105
78153 Le Chesnay Cedex

Projet Scilab
Bâtiment 1B - Bureau 009
Email : [hidden email]

Francois Vogel-2 Francois Vogel-2

Re: [svn] Migrating To Visual Studio 2008 on Windows

Hi,

Allan CORNET said on 13/03/2008 10:51:
> We advise you to uninstall Intel compilers and VS 2005 before installing
> VS 2008 (Pro or Express).

Why that?

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb384632.aspx

says (question #16):

"Will the Visual Studio Express Editions install side-by-side with the
versions of Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions?
Yes, side-by-side compatibility with other versions of Visual Studio
2005 including Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions and Visual Studio
2008."

Do you have any different practical experience?

> For Scilab, the main improvements are:
> -- Scilab can be compiled more quickly with the support of several cores

Btw, that was already the case with VS2005 express.

Francois

Allan CORNET-2 Allan CORNET-2

RE: [svn] Migrating To Visual Studio 2008 on Windows

We have migrated to Visual studio 2008 (Pro and Express)

To migrate your development tools :

1 ]  uninstall Intel Compilers (C and Fortran)

2 ] uninstall Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 (Pro or Express)

3] Install Visual studio 2008 Pro or Express

4] Install Intel fortran 10.1.019

5] Install Intel C 10.1.020

6]  http http://wiki.scilab.org/Compiling_Scilab_5.x_under_Windows

Best Regards

Allan CORNET

Allan CORNET-2 Allan CORNET-2

Re: [svn] Migrating To Visual Studio 2008 on Windows

I only propose a way to do.

By pratical experience with Visual studio 2003 and 2005 , I think that it is
better to remove previous versions of Visual studio.

But you can try if you have time to spend ...

:)

Allan CORNET

> We advise you to uninstall Intel compilers and VS 2005 before installing
> VS 2008 (Pro or Express).

Why that?

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb384632.aspx

says (question #16):

"Will the Visual Studio Express Editions install side-by-side with the
versions of Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions?
Yes, side-by-side compatibility with other versions of Visual Studio
2005 including Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions and Visual Studio
2008."

Do you have any different practical experience?

> For Scilab, the main improvements are:
> -- Scilab can be compiled more quickly with the support of several cores

Btw, that was already the case with VS2005 express.

Francois

Francois Vogel-2 Francois Vogel-2

Re: Migrating To Visual Studio 2008 on Windows

I have finally followed your advice and have uninstalled VS2005 before
trying with the new VS2008.

I have managed to compile Scilab 5 from trunk with VS 2008 Express
(f2c solution) after having worked around a problem introduced
yesterday in strops.f

Since I was not so sure about the success of the process I have kept a
directory with a working Scilab 5 from last week's trunk aside of the
newly checked out version compiled with VS2008.

After having uninstalled VS2005, it turns out that the Scilab that I
compiled last week with VS2005 does no longer launch, despite there is
no change in that directory.

Did perhaps the VS2005 uninstall remove some registry key that Scilab
needs to launch?
Any other hint, perhaps?

Thanks,
Francois

Allan CORNET said on 17/03/2008 09:46:

> Hi,
>

> We have migrated to Visual studio 2008 (Pro and Express)
>

> To migrate your development tools :
>

> 1 ]  uninstall Intel Compilers (C and Fortran)
>
> 2 ] uninstall Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 (Pro or Express)
>

> 3] Install Visual studio 2008 Pro or Express
>
> 4] Install Intel fortran 10.1.019
>
> 5] Install Intel C 10.1.020
>

> 6]  http http://wiki.scilab.org/Compiling_Scilab_5.x_under_Windows
>

> Best Regards
>

> Allan CORNET

Moreover, how can I now build the help system under VS2008?

Previously I was used to build the BuildHelp solution as a separate
project but it doesn't seem to work with VS2008, or is it the new
java-stuff that fails?

1>------ Build started: Project: BuildHelp, Configuration: Debug Win32
------
1>Performing Makefile project actions
1>Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.21022.08
1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
1>^C
1>Building the scilab manual master document
1>Terminer le programme de commandes (O/N) ?
1>Build log was saved at gnagnagnagnagna
1>BuildHelp - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Note ^C in the middle. If I don't it seems to wait for my input forever.

F.

François Vogel said on 18/03/2008 13:01:

> Hi,
>
> I have finally followed your advice and have uninstalled VS2005 before
> trying with the new VS2008.
>
> I have managed to compile Scilab 5 from trunk with VS 2008 Express (f2c
> solution) after having worked around a problem introduced yesterday in
> strops.f
>
> Since I was not so sure about the success of the process I have kept a
> directory with a working Scilab 5 from last week's trunk aside of the
> newly checked out version compiled with VS2008.
>
> After having uninstalled VS2005, it turns out that the Scilab that I
> compiled last week with VS2005 does no longer launch, despite there is
> no change in that directory.
>
> Did perhaps the VS2005 uninstall remove some registry key that Scilab
> needs to launch?
> Any other hint, perhaps?
>
> Thanks,
> Francois
>

> Allan CORNET said on 17/03/2008 09:46:
>> Hi,
>>

>> We have migrated to Visual studio 2008 (Pro and Express)
>>

>> To migrate your development tools :
>>

>> 1 ]  uninstall Intel Compilers (C and Fortran)
>>
>> 2 ] uninstall Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 (Pro or Express)
>>

>> 3] Install Visual studio 2008 Pro or Express
>>
>> 4] Install Intel fortran 10.1.019
>>
>> 5] Install Intel C 10.1.020
>>

>> 6]  http http://wiki.scilab.org/Compiling_Scilab_5.x_under_Windows
>>

>> Best Regards
>>

>> Allan CORNET

Pierre MARECHAL Pierre MARECHAL

Re: Migrating To Visual Studio 2008 on Windows

Hi François,

The help building is again available and you can build it by 2 ways :
    - The BuildHelp solution (as before)
    - The scilab command : -->xmltojar();

Remark : it's quite long ( 10/15 minutes )

For the time being, the "jar" tool (included in the JDK) is needed in
your path.

Pierre

François Vogel a écrit :

> Moreover, how can I now build the help system under VS2008?
>
> Previously I was used to build the BuildHelp solution as a separate
> project but it doesn't seem to work with VS2008, or is it the new
> java-stuff that fails?
>
> 1>------ Build started: Project: BuildHelp, Configuration: Debug Win32
> ------
> 1>Performing Makefile project actions
> 1>Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.21022.08
> 1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
> 1>^C
> 1>Building the scilab manual master document
> 1>Terminer le programme de commandes (O/N) ?
> 1>Build log was saved at gnagnagnagnagna
> 1>BuildHelp - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
>

> Note ^C in the middle. If I don't it seems to wait for my input forever.
>

> F.
Pierre MARECHAL
INRIA - Centre de Recherche de Paris - Rocquencourt
Domaine de Voluceau - B.P. 105
78153 Le Chesnay Cedex
Equipe-Projet Scilab
Bâtiment 1B - Bureau 008
Email : [hidden email]

Francois Vogel-2 Francois Vogel-2

Re: Migrating To Visual Studio 2008 on Windows

Tsk tsk tsk...

With svn version up-to-date:

1>------ Build started: Project: BuildHelp, Configuration: Debug Win32
------
1>Performing Makefile project actions
1>'K:\Francois\Developpement\Scilab-svn\scilex' n'est pas reconnu en
tant que commande interne
1>ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.
1>'K:\Francois\Developpement\Scilab-svn\scilex' n'est pas reconnu en
tant que commande interne
1>ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.
1>Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from
"Performing Makefile project actions"
1>Build log was saved at
"file://k:\Francois\Developpement\Scilab-svn\modules\helptools\src\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>BuildHelp - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped
==========

Remark: it's quite quick (1 second at most)

And I can't launch Scilab today: it complains it cannot find the main
java class.

Francois

Pierre MARECHAL said on 20/03/2008 16:34:

> Hi François,
>
> The help building is again available and you can build it by 2 ways :
>    - The BuildHelp solution (as before)
>    - The scilab command : -->xmltojar();
>
> Remark : it's quite long ( 10/15 minutes )
>
> For the time being, the "jar" tool (included in the JDK) is needed in
> your path.
>
> Pierre
>

> François Vogel a écrit :
>> Moreover, how can I now build the help system under VS2008?
>>
>> Previously I was used to build the BuildHelp solution as a separate
>> project but it doesn't seem to work with VS2008, or is it the new
>> java-stuff that fails?
>>
>> 1>------ Build started: Project: BuildHelp, Configuration: Debug Win32
>> ------
>> 1>Performing Makefile project actions
>> 1>Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.21022.08
>> 1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>> 1>^C
>> 1>Building the scilab manual master document
>> 1>Terminer le programme de commandes (O/N) ?
>> 1>Build log was saved at gnagnagnagnagna
>> 1>BuildHelp - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
>>

>> Note ^C in the middle. If I don't it seems to wait for my input forever.
>>

>> F.

Francois Vogel Francois Vogel

Re: Migrating To Visual Studio 2008 on Windows

Hi all,

Today it builds till the end and the result can even be launched.

And the man pages can also be built. As you mentioned, it's a very
loooonnnng process. Perhaps some more feedback in the VS output window
would be a good idea, I thought it was stuck.

Francois