Plotting three dimensional vectors

Jerry Nelson Jerry Nelson

Plotting three dimensional vectors

Good afternoon,

I am trying to visualize two simple vectors in three dimensions, and not
having much luck. So I thought I would try to create a picture to help.
I'm not having much luck there either.

I would like to create a plot of the two vectors x=(2, 4, 9) and y=(1,
3, 5), and to display them both on the same graphic with the axis'
displayed as well. I have searched through the manual, the help system,
and the demos to no avail. There is a lot of information there, but with
no starting point, I am just getting further confused.

If I'm not asking too much, it would be nice to display each vector in a
different color, and to define the axis dimensions (in other words set
the x-axis to -5 to 10, the y-axis to 0 to 10, and the z-axis to -10 to 10)

Thanks for any help,
Jerry

Re: Plotting three dimensional vectors

Hi,

This can be done, but not directly. You have to plot the (x,y)
component first using xarrows, get the handle of the segs entity then
add a third column to the
data field :

xarrows(nx,ny)
h=gce();
h.data=[h.data nz(:)];

nx, ny, nz are 2 x n matrices containing the origin of vectors on the
first line and the extremity on the second line.

S.

Jerry Nelson <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Good afternoon,
>
> I am trying to visualize two simple vectors in three dimensions, and
> not having much luck. So I thought I would try to create a picture
> to help. I'm not having much luck there either.
>
> I would like to create a plot of the two vectors x=(2, 4, 9) and
> y=(1, 3, 5), and to display them both on the same graphic with the
> axis' displayed as well. I have searched through the manual, the
> help system, and the demos to no avail. There is a lot of
> information there, but with no starting point, I am just getting
> further confused.
>
> If I'm not asking too much, it would be nice to display each vector
> in a different color, and to define the axis dimensions (in other
> words set the x-axis to -5 to 10, the y-axis to 0 to 10, and the
> z-axis to -10 to 10)
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Jerry

Jerry Nelson Jerry Nelson

Re: Plotting three dimensional vectors

Hi Stepane,

Thanks for the response. It was quite timely as I was just getting ready
to reply back to my post. I've still been playing around, and I have a
bit of a solution. Since I'm dealing with vectors that originate at the
origin, I've come up with a macro that will plot the vector as a simple
line. That definition is:
         function []=myplot3d(a, b, c)
         plot3d([0;a],[0;b],[0;c], flag=[5 2 4]);
         g=gca();
         g.grid=[1 1 1]
         g.rotation_angles=[10 25];
         g.labels_font_color=5;
         g.parent.background=4;
         g.background=color(210,210,210);
         g.parent.figure_size= [800,600];
         g.box="on";
         g.labels_font_size=4;
         g.x_label.text="x-axis";
         g.y_label.text="y-axis";
         g.z_label.text="z-axis";
         endfunction
This allows me to visualize things much better. I am still trying to
figure out how to have the three axis's show up, and I wouldn't mind
being able to have the line in a color other than black so I can have
two distinguishable vectors on the same graphic. Your solution looks
like it might do what I'm trying to do, so I will definitely look into
it too. Either way I will report back with any successes.

Thanks again,
Jerry

Stephane Mottelet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This can be done, but not directly. You have to plot the (x,y) component
> first using xarrows, get the handle of the segs entity then add a third
> column to the
> data field :
>
> xarrows(nx,ny)
> h=gce();
> h.data=[h.data nz(:)];
>
> nx, ny, nz are 2 x n matrices containing the origin of vectors on the
> first line and the extremity on the second line.
>
> S.
>

> Jerry Nelson <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Good afternoon,
>>
>> I am trying to visualize two simple vectors in three dimensions, and
>> not having much luck. So I thought I would try to create a picture to
>> help. I'm not having much luck there either.
>>
>> I would like to create a plot of the two vectors x=(2, 4, 9) and y=(1,
>> 3, 5), and to display them both on the same graphic with the axis'
>> displayed as well. I have searched through the manual, the help
>> system, and the demos to no avail. There is a lot of information
>> there, but with no starting point, I am just getting further confused.
>>
>> If I'm not asking too much, it would be nice to display each vector in
>> a different color, and to define the axis dimensions (in other words
>> set the x-axis to -5 to 10, the y-axis to 0 to 10, and the z-axis to
>> -10 to 10)
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>> Jerry

Celso Co Celso Co

RE: Plotting three dimensional vectors

Jerry, Please try my attachment. It may help. Regards, cels

vector.sce (1K) Download Attachment
Jerry Nelson Jerry Nelson

Re: Plotting three dimensional vectors

Cels,

This is almost exactly what I am looking for, and pretty neat too. Not
only does it help me visualize the vectors, your code gives offers me a
bit of a tutorial on how things work here. I appreciate your effort very
much!

Jerry

Celso Co wrote:

> Jerry, Please try my attachment. It may help. Regards, cels

Celso Co Celso Co

RE: Plotting three dimensional vectors

Jerry, You are welcome. cels,