Problems getting started with Xcos

ejg ejg

Problems getting started with Xcos

I just spent several days figuring out how to install scilab including C compiler and all and become familiar with its use. Scilab is working fine for me now, but I have substantial problems with Xcos. They appear to be bugs to me but since they are so fundamental and seem to have existed for a long time and I can't find any related bug reports, I am willing to believe in operator error for now. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

1) The following is happening with installations on Windows (on 4 different machines under Windows 7 and 10). I tried various installations of scilab 5.5.2 and 6.0.0 both in 32bit and 64bit. For the compiler I use GCC with MinGW.

2) Simulations are running with both scilab and Xcos.

3) I seem to be unable to create supberblocks. When I select a group of blocks Xcos creates a superblock. But that block does not have the correct number of input and output ports. When I create the mask, there are no parameters to configure. The superblock is unusable. I can add rows in the mask, and the left column appears to have drop down lists for selecting parameters, but these are all empty; nothing to select. This is happening both with scilab 5.5.2 and 6.0.0 on all installations.

4) Xcos 6.0.0 seems unable to save its models. When saving, the file is created and in all cases I have seen is reported to be 4kB in size. When I try to open the file again no error is reported, but it's empty. They are empty as well if I try to open them in 5.5.2.

5) in Xcos 6.0.0 blocks do not rotate the icon along with the ports when using Ctrl+R. When moving a rotated block it snaps back to its original orientation. I do not observe this in 5.5.2.

Obviously I am working with 5.5.2 for now, but the inability to create superblocks is a real problem for building the complex models I will need to simulate.
arwooldridge arwooldridge

Re: Problems getting started with Xcos

Having similar problems with xcos on scilab 6.0.0 with windows 7 and 10.
1/ On saving a model and subsequent reopen, some routes get jumbled like spagetti. ( workaround fix: highlight the route and optimise with SC "O" subsequent save and open then works)

2/ Some text blocks when saved do not reappear on opening, or sometimes appear top left of window.

3/ Some models will not reopen after saving, blank window.

4/Some saved models halt with "invalid index" on simulation, no apparent reason or explanation. Models were previously working before saving.

5/Superblocks not functioning when created by converting selected group.

Tried on fresh install on different computer, this time Windows 7, Same bugs exhibited.

The combination and severity of these bugs make xcos unusable, at least in Windows for me.

Suspect problem in saving files correctly but cannot pin down further. Could it be spaces in filenames, long filenames or other Windows/Linux discrepancies? As far as I can gather Linux users are not having these problems.

Models built from scratch without saving appear to work OK, but this is not a workable solution!
ejg ejg

RE: Problems getting started with Xcos

Well, there seems to be a Windows connection. However, if it was a path issue Xcos would simply be unable to locate the file again, instead of opening it but messing it up.

Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 3:53 AM
To: ejg <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Problems getting started with Xcos

[...]

To unsubscribe from Problems getting started with Xcos, click here.
NAML

Re: Problems getting started with Xcos

Thanks for these information, as you wrote the save / load bug might be related to your system. Are
you using a specific system locale / languages ?

Le mardi 30 mai 2017 à 03:52 -0700, arwooldridge a écrit :

> Having similar problems with xcos on scilab 6.0.0 with windows 7 and 10.
> 1/ On saving a model and subsequent reopen, some routes get jumbled like
> spagetti. ( workaround fix: highlight the route and optimise with SC "O"
> subsequent save and open then works)
>
> 2/ Some text blocks when saved do not reappear on opening, or sometimes
> appear top left of window.
>
> 3/ Some models will not reopen after saving, blank window.
>
> 4/Some saved models halt with "invalid index" on simulation, no apparent
> reason or explanation. Models were previously working before saving.
>
> 5/Superblocks not functioning when created by converting selected group.
>
> Tried on fresh install on different computer, this time Windows 7, Same bugs
> exhibited.
>
> The combination and severity of these bugs make xcos unusable, at least in
> Windows for me.
>
> Suspect problem in saving files correctly but cannot pin down further. Could
> it be spaces in filenames, long filenames or other Windows/Linux
> discrepancies? As far as I can gather Linux users are not having these
> problems.
>
> Models built from scratch without saving appear to work OK, but this is not
> a workable solution!

Perrichon Pierre Perrichon Pierre

Re: Problems getting started with Xcos

Hello,
Confirmed

Before printing, think about ENVIRONMENTAL responsabity

Thanks for these information, as you wrote the save / load bug might be related to your system. Are you using a specific system locale / languages ?

Le mardi 30 mai 2017 à 03:52 -0700, arwooldridge a écrit :

> Having similar problems with xcos on scilab 6.0.0 with windows 7 and 10.
> 1/ On saving a model and subsequent reopen, some routes get jumbled
> like spagetti. ( workaround fix: highlight the route and optimise with SC "O"
> subsequent save and open then works)
>
> 2/ Some text blocks when saved do not reappear on opening, or
> sometimes appear top left of window.
>
> 3/ Some models will not reopen after saving, blank window.
>
> 4/Some saved models halt with "invalid index" on simulation, no
> apparent reason or explanation. Models were previously working before saving.
>
> 5/Superblocks not functioning when created by converting selected group.
>
> Tried on fresh install on different computer, this time Windows 7,
> Same bugs exhibited.
>
> The combination and severity of these bugs make xcos unusable, at
> least in Windows for me.
>
> Suspect problem in saving files correctly but cannot pin down further.
> Could it be spaces in filenames, long filenames or other Windows/Linux
> discrepancies? As far as I can gather Linux users are not having these
> problems.
>
> Models built from scratch without saving appear to work OK, but this
> is not a workable solution!

arwooldridge arwooldridge

Re: Problems getting started with Xcos

Hi,

Using English UK language and Locale/Region.

Re paths was only thinking it may be looking for other paths to other files needed.

On 30/05/2017 14:08, Perrichon Pierre [via Scilab / Xcos - Mailing Lists Archives] wrote:
Hello,
Confirmed

Before printing, think about ENVIRONMENTAL responsabity

Thanks for these information, as you wrote the save / load bug might be related to your system. Are you using a specific system locale / languages ?

Le mardi 30 mai 2017 à 03:52 -0700, arwooldridge a écrit :

> Having similar problems with xcos on scilab 6.0.0 with windows 7 and 10.
> 1/ On saving a model and subsequent reopen, some routes get jumbled
> like spagetti. ( workaround fix: highlight the route and optimise with SC "O"
> subsequent save and open then works)
>
> 2/ Some text blocks when saved do not reappear on opening, or
> sometimes appear top left of window.
>
> 3/ Some models will not reopen after saving, blank window.
>
> 4/Some saved models halt with "invalid index" on simulation, no
> apparent reason or explanation. Models were previously working before saving.
>
> 5/Superblocks not functioning when created by converting selected group.
>
> Tried on fresh install on different computer, this time Windows 7,
> Same bugs exhibited.
>
> The combination and severity of these bugs make xcos unusable, at
> least in Windows for me.
>
> Suspect problem in saving files correctly but cannot pin down further.
> Could it be spaces in filenames, long filenames or other Windows/Linux
> discrepancies? As far as I can gather Linux users are not having these
> problems.
>
> Models built from scratch without saving appear to work OK, but this
> is not a workable solution!

To unsubscribe from Problems getting started with Xcos, click here.
NAML

arwooldridge arwooldridge

Re: Problems getting started with Xcos

Found a workaround for the superblock save problem.
Scilab previously reported haveacompiler()   F when Visual Studio was in fact installed.
Used the script in https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37685427/scilab-with-visual-studio-2015
Now haveacompiler() reports T
Superblocks now appear to work and save.
but does not prevent the other bugs mentioned occuring.
arwooldridge arwooldridge

Re: Problems getting started with Xcos

Well spoke too soon, on restart, and execute the script,  cannot now reproduce havaeacompiler T
now get:
--> configure_msvc
 ans  =

--> findmsvccompiler
 ans  =

 msvc140express

--> haveacompiler
 ans  =

arve_f arve_f

Re: Problems getting started with Xcos

I have a similar problem as your problem no.4, some of my Xcos 6.0.0 block
diagram files can be edited, and saved, and simulations can be run without
problems, but next time Xcos is opened the block diagram has disappeared.
The file size is not zero, so it seems like the file has some data. I have
only tested it on Windows 10.
Any ideas how to solve this problem?