Re: Arabic Translation

Sylvestre Ledru Sylvestre Ledru

Re: Arabic Translation

Hello Laween,

> I am want to start the translation of the help(HTML) of Scilab to
> Arabic. So the question is :-
>    Can I translate Scilab from the address (
> http://www.scilab.org/download/4.1.2/man-eng-scilab-4.1.2.zip),
>   then send it back to you??
>   or it is not possible?
Of course it is possible and we would be happy to have Scilab in Arabic.

The documentation format in Scilab has been changed to the standard
docbook. It is available in Scilab 5.
You can checkout the sources from the svn and get the help pages from
it.

Please note that we are also translating Scilab itself.
We use Launchpad from the Ubuntu project:
https://translations.launchpad.net/scilab/

However, I think this would need some work for the "from right to left"
alphabet.

Sylvestre
PS: I am replying to your email on the Scilab localization mailing list.
http://www.scilab.org/contactus/index_contactus.php?page=mailing_lists
Please subscribe on it ;)

Le mardi 24 juin 2008 à 14:31 +0200, Laween Maher a écrit :
> Text direction Right to Left is not a problem for me.
It is a problem for me ;) I have to find out if we can technically
manage this case.

> But if you mean that there is a newer Doc version, then I will only
> start it for the new one. Hope it is OK.
It is OK. You must work on the trunk/svn if you want to be sure to have
the latest version.

> I don't use CVN?
What is CVN ?
> Are other HTML techniques allowed?? I mean simply take last Subversion
> and translate it using Front page.
Front page ? :| Well, to be clear, no. :p

Let me explain:
If you have a look to Scilab current help system for example: in
modules/gui/help/
( http://viewvc.scilab.org/bin/cgi/viewvc.cgi/trunk/scilab/modules/gui/help/ )
you will see XML files for french & english.
It is these files that you need to update for the arabic localization.
They are basic XML files that you can open with any text editor
(Microsoft notepad (C), Microsoft wordpad (C), GNU emacs, vi, nano,
Eclipse, Microsoft Visual Studio (C), etc)

> Later I need to get last changes in the English version and So I can
> make the same changes in the Arabic version also.
Exactly!

Sylvestre