Re: [Localization] Scilab polish UI

Yuri Chornoivan Yuri Chornoivan

Re: [Localization] Scilab polish UI

написане Tue, 01 Oct 2013 11:32:40 +0300, Raknor [via Scilab / Xcos -
Mailing Lists Archives] <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>
> I'm new in lunchpad.
>
> How can I improve poorly translated words in my language and add new
> ones?

Hi,

1. Got to this page

https://launchpad.net/~scilab.team

and join the team.

2. Wait until you are approved.

3. Go to this page:

https://translations.launchpad.net/scilab

4. Click on your language and fix the translations using LP search
capabilities for separate catalogs.

Remember that due to LP being buggy you can easily run into 502 or 404
errors and will not receive notifications about updated catalogs due to
Scilab team decision to switch to "Restricted" policy for translations.

There are several FOSS solutions for translations and LP/Rosetta is now
the worst of them.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yuri
Sylvestre Ledru-4 Sylvestre Ledru-4

On 01/10/2013 10:44, Yuri Chornoivan wrote:
> написане Tue, 01 Oct 2013 11:32:40 +0300, Raknor [via Scilab / Xcos -
> Mailing Lists Archives] <[hidden email]
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4027517&i=0>>:
[...]
> There are several FOSS solutions for translations and LP/Rosetta is now
> the worst of them.
Which one would you recommend ?

Yuri Chornoivan Yuri Chornoivan

Re: [Localization] Scilab polish UI

написане Tue, 01 Oct 2013 11:46:58 +0300, Sylvestre Ledru-4 [via Scilab /
Xcos - Mailing Lists Archives] <[hidden email]>:

> On 01/10/2013 10:44, Yuri Chornoivan wrote:
>> написане Tue, 01 Oct 2013 11:32:40 +0300, Raknor [via Scilab / Xcos -
>> Mailing Lists Archives] <[hidden email]
>> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4027517&i=0>>:
> [...]
>>
>> There are several FOSS solutions for translations and LP/Rosetta is now
>> the worst of them.
> Which one would you recommend ?
>
> Thanks
> Sylvestre

The most versatile and flexible is Transifex [1]. Advantages:

1. Adopted by many FOSS projects (e.g. Fedora, Xfce). It is free for any
free project.

2. Advanced interface for translators and developers.

3. Fine separation by teams and inside teams (administrators, reviewers,
translators).

4. Fast and reliable. There were no breakages without warning for 3 years.
And I do not remember the case with lost translations.

5. Inbuilt fuzzy matching, translation memory per project, glossaries and
discussions about translations.

6. Inbuilt system for reporting translation bugs.

7. Instant uploading of translation catalogs. No need to wait in the queue
for off-line translations, they are instantly will be here.

8. Notification system for whole project and for separate catalogs.

9. All translation can be downloaded in their places with one tx-client
command. tx-client in a milti-platform application.

10. Zero efforts on administration. Indifex does this.

11. Uncomplicated interface. Those who worked with Wordbee and other
commercial CATs will appreciate this. ;)

https://www.transifex.com/features/translation-management/

Disadvantages:

1. No direct integration with git. Translation manager or dedicated
developer should push translation in repo by himself.

2. Poor branches management. It is not deadly easy to translate stable and
development branches at the same time.

3. No direct attribution for translators. It is impossible to know who
translated what without Transifex cloud.

4. No word-by-word fuzzy matching in online editor.

Weblate [2]. Advantages:

1. Direct integration into git. Ready to release translations will be
instantly committed to repo with no efforts from developers.

2. Proper attribution of translations. Anybody will know who translated
what from git log.

3. Very fast online editor.

Disadvantages:

1. Need efforts to support Scilab native instance and server.

2. Somewhat ascetic due to the limited number of developers.

Zanata [3]:

1. Red Hat's translation system on well-tested Java solutions (well, not
officially, but...).

2. No need to waste time on administration. Everybody can register
projects on https://translate.zanata.org/

3. Word-by-word comparison for fuzzy matches.

Disadvantages:

Same as Transifex 1-3.

Pootle [4]. Advantages:

1. Adopted by many FOSS projects (LO, Apache OO.o, etc.)

2. Ability to download all catalogs as one zip archive.

Disadvantages:

Same as Transifex 1-3.

[1] https://www.transifex.com/

[2] http://weblate.org/en/