Re: Re: Scilab 4.1.2 does not work

Osvaldo Carvalho Osvaldo Carvalho

Re: Re: Scilab 4.1.2 does not work

One day about one month ago some basic functions of Scilab suddenly stoped to work: opening, saving and executing files. I am using Scilab 4.1.2 with Windows Vista Home Premium. I've tried both to downgrade to Scilab 4.1.1 and to upgrade to the Beta version, without success. I am in a desperate situation, in the middle of the third consecutive semester using Scilab for an introductory course on computer programming for 150 students. Can someone help me?

Best regards,

Osvaldo

Simone Mannori Simone Mannori

Re: Re: Scilab 4.1.2 does not work

Bonjour,

- un-install ALL the Scilab from your PC;
- install a clean Scilab 4.1.2 using the default options

Do you have installed the Vista service pack 1 ?

Are you using a good antivirus ? (e.g. AVG ?)

Simone Mannori - Scilab Consortium
Scilab/Scicos Embedded Applications

//**---------------------------------------------------------------------

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 00:32 -0300, Osvaldo Sergio Farhat de Carvalho
wrote:

> Hello,
> One day about one month ago some basic functions of Scilab suddenly
> stoped to work: opening, saving and executing files. I am using Scilab
> 4.1.2 with Windows Vista Home Premium. I've tried both to downgrade to
> Scilab 4.1.1 and to upgrade to the Beta version, without success. I am
> in a desperate situation, in the middle of the third consecutive
> semester using Scilab for an introductory course on computer
> programming for 150 students. Can someone help me?
> Best regards,
> Osvaldo

Allan CORNET-2 Allan CORNET-2

Re: Re: Scilab 4.1.2 does not work

In reply to this post by Osvaldo Carvalho

What did you modify on your windows vista , one month ago ?

Can you try to describe with more details your problem ?  (try to attach some screenshots to your answer)

Allan

De : Osvaldo Sergio Farhat de Carvalho [mailto:[hidden email]]
Envoyé : mercredi 4 juin 2008 05:32
À : [hidden email]
Objet : [scilab-Users] Re: Re: Scilab 4.1.2 does not work

Best regards,

Osvaldo

Osvaldo Carvalho Osvaldo Carvalho

Re: Re: Scilab 4.1.2 does not work

In reply to this post by Simone Mannori

Bonjour Simone,

Simone Mannori <[hidden email]> wrote on 04/06/2008 03:27:10:

> - un-install ALL the Scilab from your PC;
> - install a clean Scilab 4.1.2 using the default options

I did this many times, including, as I said, installing a clean 4.1.1 and also a clean Beta.

> Do you have installed the Vista service pack 1 ?

Probably, since my Vista has automatic updates. Since all my troubles started at the same time, I also guess it should be caused by some incompatibility between Scilab and some Vista service pack. They are all related to file handling.

> Are you using a good antivirus ? (e.g. AVG ?)

Yes, I'm using McAfee.

> Simone Mannori - Scilab Consortium
> Scilab/Scicos Embedded Applications

Merci bien.

Osvaldo
> //**---------------------------------------------------------------------
> On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 00:32 -0300, Osvaldo Sergio Farhat de Carvalho
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > One day about one month ago some basic functions of Scilab suddenly
> > stoped to work: opening, saving and executing files. I am using Scilab
> > 4.1.2 with Windows Vista Home Premium. I've tried both to downgrade to
> > Scilab 4.1.1 and to upgrade to the Beta version, without success. I am
> > in a desperate situation, in the middle of the third consecutive
> > semester using Scilab for an introductory course on computer
> > programming for 150 students. Can someone help me?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Osvaldo
> >

Osvaldo Carvalho Osvaldo Carvalho

Re: Re: Scilab 4.1.2 does not work

In reply to this post by Osvaldo Carvalho

As an example, see the following screenshots:
Screen1: Scilab after a directory change

Screen 2: Scipad, launched after the directory change, with a (no matter which) program:

Screeen 3: Scipad after saving the file:

Screen 4: Trying to open another file:

After this, Scipad ignores the opening comand, and remains with the same screen:

while Scipad blocks!

After a second trial, Scipad did open the TabelaDeSenos.sce file, but Scilab remained blocked.

This is just one of many aspects of this problem. Similar behaviours occur when I try to exec some files. Sometimes I can't even open a single file!

I hope this may help you.

Merci beaucoup,

Osvaldo

Francois Vogel-2 Francois Vogel-2

Re: Re: Scilab 4.1.2 does not work

Selon Osvaldo Sergio Farhat de Carvalho <[hidden email]>:
> After this, Scipad ignores the opening comand, and remains with the same
> screen:
> while Scipad blocks!

Ah, *that* bug. Well known (and fixed for two months).

> This is just one of many aspects of this problem. Similar behaviours occur
> when I try to exec some files. Sometimes I can't even open a single file!

This is perhaps different. Or not.
Try the workaround that I explain in bug 2672, and come back if this still