SEP 67: lines(0) default

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
sylvestre sylvestre
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SEP 67: lines(0) default

Hello,

Here is a proposal for Scilab 5.4.0.
To sum up, we would like to have lines being to set to 0 by default in
Scilab.
To make sure we can go back to the previous behavior, we add a new
argument to lines: lines(-1)

As usual, don't hesitate to comment.
Sylvestre



SEP_067_lines_default_value.odt (27K) Download Attachment
Serge Steer-3 Serge Steer-3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SEP 67: lines(0) default

Le 29/06/2011 16:46, Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> Here is a proposal for Scilab 5.4.0.
> To sum up, we would like to have lines being to set to 0 by default in
> Scilab.
> To make sure we can go back to the previous behavior, we add a new
> argument to lines: lines(-1)
>
> As usual, don't hesitate to comment.
> Sylvestre
>
>
>  
I do not agree to disable the line control by default, many times I was
obliged to kill a Scilab session because after I have disabled the line
control  I mistakely asked for the display of a huge matrix. In such
case the display can take several minutes....


But it should be a good idea to have a default value for the number of
lines larger than the number of  lines currently visible in the console.
(let say about 3 or 4 pages)

Serge
sylvestre sylvestre
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SEP 67: lines(0) default

Le jeudi 30 juin 2011 à 10:22 +0200, Serge Steer a écrit :

> Le 29/06/2011 16:46, Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > Here is a proposal for Scilab 5.4.0.
> > To sum up, we would like to have lines being to set to 0 by default in
> > Scilab.
> > To make sure we can go back to the previous behavior, we add a new
> > argument to lines: lines(-1)
> >
> > As usual, don't hesitate to comment.
> > Sylvestre
> >
> >
> >  
> I do not agree to disable the line control by default, many times I was
> obliged to kill a Scilab session because after I have disabled the line
> control  I mistakely asked for the display of a huge matrix. In such
> case the display can take several minutes....
>
>
>
> But it should be a good idea to have a default value for the number of
> lines larger than the number of  lines currently visible in the console.
> (let say about 3 or 4 pages)
In the last few releases of the 5.3.X family, console performances have
dramatically improved. It is less an issue than it used to be...
However, I understand your point. While 3 or 4 pages seems a bit small,
we could consider a bigger value here (10 or 20)... and this value could
be configured in the future Scilab Preferences.

Sylvestre



Serge Steer-3 Serge Steer-3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SEP 67: lines(0) default

Le 30/06/2011 10:47, Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :

> Le jeudi 30 juin 2011 à 10:22 +0200, Serge Steer a écrit :
>  
>> Le 29/06/2011 16:46, Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :
>>    
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Here is a proposal for Scilab 5.4.0.
>>> To sum up, we would like to have lines being to set to 0 by default in
>>> Scilab.
>>> To make sure we can go back to the previous behavior, we add a new
>>> argument to lines: lines(-1)
>>>
>>> As usual, don't hesitate to comment.
>>> Sylvestre
>>>
>>>
>>>  
>>>      
>> I do not agree to disable the line control by default, many times I was
>> obliged to kill a Scilab session because after I have disabled the line
>> control  I mistakely asked for the display of a huge matrix. In such
>> case the display can take several minutes....
>>
>>
>>
>> But it should be a good idea to have a default value for the number of
>> lines larger than the number of  lines currently visible in the console.
>> (let say about 3 or 4 pages)
>>    
> In the last few releases of the 5.3.X family, console performances have
> dramatically improved. It is less an issue than it used to be...
>  
You are right, I just tested it. Good!
> However, I understand your point. While 3 or 4 pages seems a bit small,
> we could consider a bigger value here (10 or 20)... and this value could
> be configured in the future Scilab Preferences.
>
>  
Ok!
Serge