STRING_V2 => string

Pierre MARECHAL Pierre MARECHAL

STRING_V2 => string

Hi all,

"string" module has been removed and replaced by "STRING_V2" module.
(http://viewvc.scilab.org/bin/cgi/viewvc.cgi/?view=query&dir=&file=&file_match=exact&who=pmarecha&who_match=exact&querysort=date&hours=2&date=explicit&mindate=2008-02-04+15%3A00%3A00&maxdate=2008-02-04+18%3A00%3A00&limit_changes=100)

If you update your working copy
(svn://svn.scilab.org/scilab/trunk/scilab), you have to do a "make
distclean" in the SCI directory in order to re-compile Scilab :

[SHELL ~/scilab] make distclean
[SHELL ~/scilab] rm -rf modules/string
[SHELL ~/scilab] rm -rf modules/STRING_V2
[SHELL ~/scilab] svn update
[SHELL ~/scilab] ./configure <options>
[SHELL ~/scilab] make all

Best regards,

Pierre

Pierre MARECHAL
INRIA - Centre de Recherche de Paris - Rocquencourt
Domaine de Voluceau - B.P. 105
78153 Le Chesnay Cedex
Equipe-Projet Scilab
Bâtiment 1B - Bureau 008
Email : [hidden email]

Sylvestre Ledru Sylvestre Ledru

Re: STRING_V2 => string

By the way, this module is considered as stable now.
However, we still have some optimisations to do on some functions.

Sylvestre

Le lundi 04 février 2008 à 17:16 +0100, Pierre MARECHAL a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> "string" module has been removed and replaced by "STRING_V2" module.
> (http://viewvc.scilab.org/bin/cgi/viewvc.cgi/?view=query&dir=&file=&file_match=exact&who=pmarecha&who_match=exact&querysort=date&hours=2&date=explicit&mindate=2008-02-04+15%3A00%3A00&maxdate=2008-02-04+18%3A00%3A00&limit_changes=100)
>
> If you update your working copy
> (svn://svn.scilab.org/scilab/trunk/scilab), you have to do a "make
> distclean" in the SCI directory in order to re-compile Scilab :
>
> [SHELL ~/scilab] make distclean
> [SHELL ~/scilab] rm -rf modules/string
> [SHELL ~/scilab] rm -rf modules/STRING_V2
> [SHELL ~/scilab] svn update
> [SHELL ~/scilab] ./configure <options>
> [SHELL ~/scilab] make all
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pierre

COLLETTE Yann COLLETTE Yann

Genetic algorithms and scilab

Hello,

I've made a Genetic Algorithm Toolbox. To test it, you will need to
install some other packages:

- Some test problems :
http://www.scilab.org/contrib/index_contrib.php?page=displayContribution&fileID=1082
 There are not loader.sce and builder.sce because I'm still implementing
some test problems (a set of fortran functions from the La Cumparsita
data set and the minpack2. The first one is nearly finished, I need to
write the documentation for the other one).
- The toolbox to manage parameters (like with optimset and optimget):
http://www.scilab.org/contrib/index_contrib.php?page=displayContribution&fileID=1081
 There is a loader.sce file and a builder.sce ...
  It's easier to manage extra parameters via a list of parameters than
via a long command line. Using the param toolbox, I can leave on the
command line only the most important parameters. All the fine tuning is
done by setting up parameters values via the param toolbox.
- The Genetic Algorithm toolbox:
http://www.scilab.org/contrib/index_contrib.php?page=displayContribution&fileID=1080
 There is a loader.sce file and a builder.sce ...
 In this toolbox, I've implemented some well known algorithms:
   - the classical genetic algorithm which works on binary string
(tested in the second part of the demo file GAdemo.sce);
   - the evolutionnary algorithm which works directly on the variable
(tested in the first part of the demo file GAdemo.sce for a continuous
variable test problem and in the GAIsing2ddemo.sce for a combinatorial
test problem);
   - MOGA: the multi-objective genetic algorithm. A classical
multi-objective algorithm, be not really efficient. Tested in MOGAdemo.sce.
   - NSGA: the niched sharing genetic algorithm. A good improvement wrt
MOGA. Tested in NSGAdemo.sce.
   - NSGA2: the 2nd version of NSGA. Certainly the best multi-objective
algorithm so far. No extra parameters and quite efficient. See
NSGA2demo.sce for a demonstration.

The genetic algorithm is certainly the most flexible algorithm so far
(not the most efficient). You can solve a large spectrum of problems
with such a method.

My question is: what do I need to do to see a genetic algorithm being
included in scilab ?

I am also very interested by some feedback to improve all these packages ...

Your sincerely,

Yann COLLETTE

-- Disclaimer ------------------------------------
Ce message ainsi que les eventuelles pieces jointes constituent une correspondance privee et confidentielle a l'attention exclusive du destinataire designe ci-dessus. Si vous n'etes pas le destinataire du present message ou une personne susceptible de pouvoir le lui delivrer, il vous est signifie que toute divulgation, distribution ou copie de cette transmission est strictement interdite. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, nous vous remercions d'en informer l'expediteur par telephone ou de lui retourner le present message, puis d'effacer immediatement ce message de votre systeme.
***
This e-mail and any attachments is a confidential correspondence intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient or the agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by phone or by replying this message, and then delete this message from your system.
Sylvestre Ledru Sylvestre Ledru

Re: Genetic algorithms and scilab

[...]

> My question is: what do I need to do to see a genetic algorithm being
> included in scilab ?
Having this stuff into Scilab could be interesting for users.

However, we can only do that if :
* you are OK to take care of this development (maintenance and
debugging)
* you understand that this dev will have to follow the release plan of
Scilab (ie: low rate of release)
* you add unitary tests for each function.

Cheers,
Sylvestre

Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :

> [...]
>

>> My question is: what do I need to do to see a genetic algorithm being
>> included in scilab ?
>>
> Having this stuff into Scilab could be interesting for users.
>
> However, we can only do that if :
> * you are OK to take care of this development (maintenance and debugging)

OK for me
> * you understand that this dev will have to follow the release plan of Scilab (ie: low rate of release)

What is a "low rate of release" ?
> * you add unitary tests for each function.

OK, I will have a look at the unitary tests in some scilab modules to
see how these tests work.
> Cheers,
> Sylvestre

-- Disclaimer ------------------------------------
Ce message ainsi que les eventuelles pieces jointes constituent une correspondance privee et confidentielle a l'attention exclusive du destinataire designe ci-dessus. Si vous n'etes pas le destinataire du present message ou une personne susceptible de pouvoir le lui delivrer, il vous est signifie que toute divulgation, distribution ou copie de cette transmission est strictement interdite. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, nous vous remercions d'en informer l'expediteur par telephone ou de lui retourner le present message, puis d'effacer immediatement ce message de votre systeme.
***
This e-mail and any attachments is a confidential correspondence intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient or the agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by phone or by replying this message, and then delete this message from your system.
Pierre MARECHAL Pierre MARECHAL

Re: Genetic algorithms and scilab

Hi Yann,

>> * you add unitary tests for each function.
> OK, I will have a look at the unitary tests in some scilab modules to
> see how these tests work.
You can also have look to the test_run() function :
-->help test_run

Pierre

Pierre MARECHAL
INRIA - Centre de Recherche de Paris - Rocquencourt
Domaine de Voluceau - B.P. 105
78153 Le Chesnay Cedex
Equipe-Projet Scilab
Bâtiment 1B - Bureau 008
Email : [hidden email]

Sylvestre Ledru Sylvestre Ledru

Re: Genetic algorithms and scilab

> > * you understand that this dev will have to follow the release plan of Scilab (ie: low rate of release)
> >
> What is a "low rate of release" ?
At the moment, we will keep the same release schema.
IE, one big release every 18 months (more or less) and a small one every
6 (but you may have noticed that we haven't respected this schedule
during the last few months ;)

> > * you add unitary tests for each function.
> >
> OK, I will have a look at the unitary tests in some scilab modules to
> see how these tests work.
It is straightforward.
In a .tst file, you write some Scilab code using your function (normal
use and special uses), for example:
http://viewvc.scilab.org/bin/cgi/viewvc.cgi/trunk/scilab/modules/string/tests/unit_tests/strindex.tst?revision=22167&view=markup
You run the test series on your module
( see:
http://wiki.scilab.org/Unitary_and_non_regression_testing_of_Scilab )

It is going to complain since you don't have any reference for your
test. But in the mean time, it is going to produce a .dia (for diary).
Rename it to .dia.ref and launch the test again. Your test will be
successfull.

We use them more and more. Thanks to these tests, if we change anything
in the "core" of Scilab, we can see very quickly the impact it will
have.
An user can also have quickly an idea of what we will broken on his
Scilab if he tests with exotic lib or platform.

Sylvestre

Francois Vogel-2 Francois Vogel-2

Sylvestre Ledru said on 05/02/2008 14:14:
  > However, we can only do that if :
> * you are OK to take care of this development (maintenance and
> debugging)
> * you understand that this dev will have to follow the release plan of
> Scilab (ie: low rate of release)
> * you add unitary tests for each function.

No other condition? Any license can be used for his contribution?
That's good news.

Francois

Le mardi 05 février 2008 à 22:02 +0100, François Vogel a écrit :

> Sylvestre Ledru said on 05/02/2008 14:14:
>   > However, we can only do that if :
> > * you are OK to take care of this development (maintenance and
> > debugging)
> > * you understand that this dev will have to follow the release plan of
> > Scilab (ie: low rate of release)
> > * you add unitary tests for each function.
>

> No other condition? Any license can be used for his contribution?
Yann has signed the developer agreement.

Sylvestre

COLLETTE Yann COLLETTE Yann

Fortran interface

Hello,

A little question regarding a C interfacing of a fortan function:
When I have a fortran variable A(n1,n2) as a parameter of a subroutine,
is it a double ** array in C or a double * ?

YC

[...]

Scilab and DDE

I've found some really interesting non-documented commands:

ddeopen, ddeclose, ddeexec, ddepoke, ddereq and ddeisopen.

I want to use these commands to open a DDE connection with Excel and put
some data inside excel, get some data from excel.
How to use these commands ?
How to retrieve the list of available DDE commands from excel ?