SciNotes 5.4.1 crashes on any file action (Win7 64 bit)

David Tate David Tate

SciNotes 5.4.1 crashes on any file action (Win7 64 bit)

I just installed SciLab for the first time.  I'm using version 5.4.1 for Windows, 64-bit, under Windows 7 Pro.

The application seems to run fine, and console actions work correctly.  I can open the SciNotes editor, and enter text.  I can execute the contents (e.g. "Execute file with echo").  But if I try any action involving File I/O (e.g. Save, Save As, or select a backup file) both SciNotes and SciLab instantly close, and I lose all of my work.  I do not even get a file dialog -- the apps close instantly.  "Save file and execute" gives the same behavior.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing, making sure that I ran the install package as Administrator.  No change.

Help?

David Tate
Calixte DENIZET Calixte DENIZET

Hi David,

Could you start Scilab from a terminal (enter the command WScilex.exe
in the good directory) ? Try an I/O action in Scinotes and check if you
have a java exception or something else in the terminal which would help
us to find the issue.

Best regards,

Calixte

Le 2013-06-28 18:09, David Tate a écrit :

> I just installed SciLab for the first time.  I'm using version 5.4.1
> for
> Windows, 64-bit, under Windows 7 Pro.
> The application seems to run fine, and console actions work
> correctly.  I
> can open the SciNotes editor, and enter text.  I can execute the
> contents
> (e.g. "Execute file with echo").  But if I try any action involving
> File I/O
> (e.g. Save, Save As, or select a backup file) both SciNotes and
> SciLab
> instantly close, and I lose all of my work.  I do not even get a file
> dialog
> -- the apps close instantly.  "Save file and execute" gives the same
> behavior.
> I tried uninstalling and re-installing, making sure that I ran the
> install
> package as Administrator.  No change.
> Help?
> David Tate
> View this message in context:
> http://mailinglists.scilab.org/SciNotes-5-4-1-crashes-on-any-file-action-Win7-64-bit-tp4026913.html
> Sent from the Scilab users - Mailing Lists Archives mailing list
> archive at Nabble.com.
> users mailing list
> http://lists.scilab.org/mailman/listinfo/users
David Tate David Tate

Calixte,

I opened a console window, went to c:\Program Files\scilab-5.4.1\bin, and ran WScilex.exe from the command line.  Scilab opened as usual.  From the Scilab console, I opened SciNotes, typed a comment, and attempted a "Save As" using the File menu.  Scilab crashed, and no message appeared in the console window.  I don't see any log files either, at least not in the \bin or \scilab-5.4.1 directory.

Is that what you wanted me to try?

It is possible that my company disables some Java functions.  Is there a way I can test whether the necessary Java features are working on my machine?
David Tate David Tate

Re: SciNotes 5.4.1 crashes on any file action (Win7 64 bit)

Also, it looks like the problem isn't just with SciNotes.  Any file action from the Scilab console also crashes the program.  The file browser displays correctly, and I can open a .sci file by double-clicking in the file browser tree, but if I click the "open a file" icon on the command bar, or attempt a file action on the open SciNotes window, Scilab crashes.

David
Calixte DENIZET Calixte DENIZET

In reply to this post by David Tate
Hi David,

On 01/07/2013 16:03, David Tate wrote:
> Calixte,
> I opened a console window, went to c:\Program Files\scilab-5.4.1\bin, and
> ran WScilex.exe from the command line.  Scilab opened as usual.  From the
> Scilab console, I opened SciNotes, typed a comment, and attempted a "Save
> As" using the File menu.  Scilab crashed, and no message appeared in the
> console window.  I don't see any log files either, at least not in the \bin
> or \scilab-5.4.1 directory.

Check if a file hs_err_pid_foo.log exists in the directory where you
launched WScilex.
Could you try to start Scilex.exe and at prompt you enter scinotes ?
Save something and observe if you have a backtrace or a log file
(hs_err_pid...).
I just tried under WIn 7 64-b as guest in VirtualBox and I didn't manage
to reproduce the bug. It is probably a bug with the Java object
JFileChooser and you probably have something on your computer which
causes it... so we need to find the cause.

Calixte

> Is that what you wanted me to try?
> It is possible that my company disables some Java functions.  Is there a way
> I can test whether the necessary Java features are working on my machine?
> View this message in context: http://mailinglists.scilab.org/SciNotes-5-4-1-crashes-on-any-file-action-Win7-64-bit-tp4026913p4026929.html
> Sent from the Scilab users - Mailing Lists Archives mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> users mailing list
> http://lists.scilab.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Calixte Denizet
Software Development Engineer
-----------------------------------------------------------
Scilab Enterprises
143bis rue Yves Le Coz - 78000 Versailles, France

David Tate David Tate

Re: SciNotes 5.4.1 crashes on any file action (Win7 64 bit)

I launched Scilex from the command line and gave the scinotes command.  The SciNotes window opened; I typed a couple of lines and selected "Save As" from the file menu.  The program crashed with the following error message in the command window:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

c:\Program Files\scilab-5.4.1\bin>scilex
Scilab 5.4.1 (Mar 29 2013, 17:58:03)

-->scinotes

-->log4cxx: No appender could be found for logger (ConfigRepository).
log4cxx: Please initialize the log4cxx system properly.
===========================================

That may explain why I'm not seeing any log files.

David

Calixte DENIZET Calixte DENIZET

On 01/07/2013 16:57, David Tate wrote:

> I launched Scilex from the command line and gave the scinotes command.  The
> SciNotes window opened; I typed a couple of lines and selected "Save As"
> from the file menu.  The program crashed with the following error message in
> the command window:
> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
> Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
> c:\Program Files\scilab-5.4.1\bin>scilex
> Scilab 5.4.1 (Mar 29 2013, 17:58:03)
> -->scinotes
> -->log4cxx: No appender could be found for logger (ConfigRepository).
> log4cxx: Please initialize the log4cxx system properly.
> ===========================================
> That may explain why I'm not seeing any log files.

It is very weird... I greped "log4cxx" and for "ConfigRepository" in
Scilab's source tree and there is absolutely nothing !!
What is your exact configuration ? Do you launch Scilab in a particular
environment or from a remote server ?
And maybe you're right: the interesting debug messages are trapped by
the logger.

Calixte

> David
> View this message in context: http://mailinglists.scilab.org/SciNotes-5-4-1-crashes-on-any-file-action-Win7-64-bit-tp4026913p4026933.html
> users mailing list
> http://lists.scilab.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Calixte Denizet
Software Development Engineer
-----------------------------------------------------------
Scilab Enterprises
143bis rue Yves Le Coz - 78000 Versailles, France

David Tate David Tate

Re: SciNotes 5.4.1 crashes on any file action (Win7 64 bit)

A quick Google gives this, from apache.org:

"Log4cxx is a fast and flexible framework for logging application messages. It is the C++ port of the log4j Java logging library."

My configuration is as simple as it can be.  I installed the Scilab binaries to my local hard drive using all of the default settings, and I run it in my normal Win 7 environment -- no virtual machines, no remote servers, no custom directory structure.

Interestingly, if I start to Google for "initialize the log4cxx system", the search query auto-completes, and there are quite a few hits.  This seems to be a fairly common bug in many different programs.

David

Calixte DENIZET Calixte DENIZET

On 01/07/2013 18:10, David Tate wrote:

> A quick Google gives this, from apache.org:
> "Log4cxx is a fast and flexible framework for logging application messages.
> It is the C++ port of the log4j Java logging library."
> http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4cxx/
> My configuration is as simple as it can be.  I installed the Scilab binaries
> to my local hard drive using all of the default settings, and I run it in my
> normal Win 7 environment -- no virtual machines, no remote servers, no
> custom directory structure.
> Interestingly, if I start to Google for "initialize the log4cxx system", the
> search query auto-completes, and there are quite a few hits.  This seems to
> be a fairly common bug in many different programs.

The problem is to determinate from where this message comes... Do you
have any Java applications running on your system ?

> David
> View this message in context: http://mailinglists.scilab.org/SciNotes-5-4-1-crashes-on-any-file-action-Win7-64-bit-tp4026913p4026936.html
> users mailing list
> http://lists.scilab.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Calixte Denizet
Software Development Engineer
-----------------------------------------------------------
Scilab Enterprises
143bis rue Yves Le Coz - 78000 Versailles, France

David Tate David Tate

Calixte DENIZET wrote
Do you have any Java applications running on your system ?
I have Java 7 update 25 installed, and the test applet at www.java.com reports that my installation is working.

So far as I know, I do not have any other Java applications running.

David
David Tate David Tate

More data:

I can successfully create and save a data file from the console using the save() command.  I can save variable values to a new file and retrieve them using the load() command.  However, if I select "Open a file..." from the console File menu, or "Save" or "Save As" from the SciNotes file menu, everything crashes. If I select "Working directories..." -> "Add a directory", it crashes.

This might be relevant: under the File menu in SciNotes, there are items "Open file in..." and "Save file in...".  These are supposed to be hierarchical menus (with a little right arrow), but when I hover on them they do not expand.

Does that help pinpoint the problem?

David
Calixte DENIZET Calixte DENIZET

On 03/07/2013 15:30, David Tate wrote:

> More data:
> I can successfully create and save a data file from the console using the
> save() command.  I can save variable values to a new file and retrieve them
> using the load() command.  However, if I select "Open a file..." from the
> console File menu, or "Save" or "Save As" from the SciNotes file menu,
> everything crashes. If I select "Working directories..." ->  "Add a
> directory", it crashes.
> This might be relevant: under the File menu in SciNotes, there are items
> "Open file in..." and "Save file in...".  These are supposed to be
> hierarchical menus (with a little right arrow), but when I hover on them
> they do not expand.
> Does that help pinpoint the problem?
HI David,

unfortunatelly that does not help me to understand your problem. I don't
understand why log4cxx is here... and the logger class name
(ConfigRepository) doesn't help me too... In using web search engine, I
found that a class with this name exists in Websphere but you said that
no other Java apps were running on your system. So for now I'm thinking
about the bug, but I have absolutely no idea.
For your information, save(), load() commands are not plugged to a
JFileChooser. In my mind it's a pure Java problem... this why I need to
have  a backtrace.

Calixte

> David
> View this message in context: http://mailinglists.scilab.org/SciNotes-5-4-1-crashes-on-any-file-action-Win7-64-bit-tp4026913p4026951.html
> users mailing list
> http://lists.scilab.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Calixte Denizet
Software Development Engineer
-----------------------------------------------------------
Scilab Enterprises
143bis rue Yves Le Coz - 78000 Versailles, France

David Tate David Tate

Calixte DENIZET wrote
In using web search engine, I found that a class with this name exists in Websphere but you said that
no other Java apps were running on your system.
It occurs to me that I'm not positive that I know how to be certain whether any other Java apps are running.  Is there a diagnostic I can run?

David
taveira taveira

Re: SciNotes 5.4.1 crashes on any file action (Win7 64 bit)

I have the same problem and would like to know if anyone could solve it.
It looks like the post has not been terminated.
Thank you.

Taveira

Sent from: http://mailinglists.scilab.org/Scilab-users-Mailing-Lists-Archives-f2602246.html