Scilab 5.1.1, Help System and %helps

dmcomer dmcomer

Scilab 5.1.1, Help System and %helps

Hello,

I am working my way through the Scilab help file system with the goal
of adding my own toolbox, help system. I noticed in the Scilab manual
that there is suposed to be a variable %helps, which according to the
manual is supposed to be loaded by scilab.start. However, in 5.1.1
there is no such reference to %helps in scilab.start, and there is
not global variable %helps listed in whos. Is this an obsolete
concept? If so, how does one add help to the help file path?

Thanks,

Dave Comer

Dubois Dubois

Re: Scilab 5.1.1, Help System and %helps

Well, as far as I have understood, you have to build help files in a folder such as mytoolbox\help\en_US (for English help).

Your help files must respect Scilab xml forma. Ffor an example, see the file joined (you can find many more examples in my toolbox grocer, available at http://dubois.ensae.net/grocer.html) ; Pettersen toolbox -http://www.scilab.org/contrib/index_contrib.php?page=displayContribution&fileID=1145- can also be very helpful: anyway, it has helped me.

Then you have to insert in scilab.star the following commands :
helps_dirs='mytoolbox\help\en_US'
help_title='my beautiful toolbox'
xml2jar('javaHelp','mytoolbox\help\en_US','my beautiful toolbox')
add_help_chapter('my beautiful toolbox',SCI+'mytoolbox\/jar',%f);

And, with some effort, it should work.

I fear that it is not the best solution, but Scilab help on the subject is indeed rather tricky to undestand.

Cheers.

Eric.

2009/5/23 Dave Comer <[hidden email]>
Hello,

I am working my way through the Scilab help file system with the goal of adding my own toolbox, help system. I noticed in the Scilab manual that there is suposed to be a variable %helps, which according to the manual is supposed to be loaded by scilab.start. However, in 5.1.1 there is no such reference to %helps in scilab.start, and there is not global variable %helps listed in whos. Is this an obsolete concept? If so, how does one add help to the help file path?

Thanks,

Dave Comer

contrib.xml (3K) Download Attachment
dmcomer dmcomer

Re: Scilab 5.1.1, Help System and %helps

Eric,

Thanks so much for your  reply and information. I very much agree
with your comment on the support in the Scilab manual. I had started
with the examples in <SCI>\modules\helptools\examples.
your examples and procedure are great supplement. My guess is that
the Scilab team is very busy bringing up 5.x to par with the 4.x
versions with respect to the manual and new features support. In any
case, I do appreciate your help.

Dave Comer

At 11:27 AM 5/23/2009, you wrote:
>Well, as far as I have understood, you have to build help files in a
>folder such as mytoolbox\help\en_US (for English help).

<remainder truncated to save on bandwidth>