Scilab 5 and non openGL X11 servers

Hi again,

I finally managed to compile Scilab 5.1.1 on our Linux Centos server.
It seems that Scilab is not able to cope with non OpenGL servers (a
warning is given that the drivers of the graphical card does not
support OpenGL). Are there plans to use a deprecated X11 mode ?

Here at work everybody uses the machine through VNC; so nobody
will be able to use Scilab 5. Too bad.

Re: Scilab 5 and non openGL X11 servers

Le jeudi 07 mai 2009 à 16:42 +0200, StŽéphane Mottelet a écrit :
> Hi again,
>
> I finally managed to compile Scilab 5.1.1 on our Linux Centos server.
How did you do that ?

> It seems that Scilab is not able to cope with non OpenGL servers (a
> warning is given that the drivers of the graphical card does not
> support OpenGL). Are there plans to use a deprecated X11 mode ?
Using the vesa driver should fix your problem.

> Here at work everybody uses the machine through VNC; so nobody
> will be able to use Scilab 5. Too bad.
Funny architecture, can I ask why ?

Sylvestre

Jonathan Blanchard Jonathan Blanchard

Re: Scilab 5 and non openGL X11 servers

Hi,

I had great success making Scilab work with the Mesa Xlib drivers with
vnc on Solaris. It should work very well in Linux and appear to work
for Sun's thin clients also.

Jonathan Blanchard

Sylvestre Ledru <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Le jeudi 07 mai 2009 à 16:42 +0200, St?éphane Mottelet a écrit :
>> Hi again,
>>
>> I finally managed to compile Scilab 5.1.1 on our Linux Centos server.
> How did you do that ?
>
>> It seems that Scilab is not able to cope with non OpenGL servers (a
>> warning is given that the drivers of the graphical card does not
>> support OpenGL). Are there plans to use a deprecated X11 mode ?
> Using the vesa driver should fix your problem.
>
>> Here at work everybody uses the machine through VNC; so nobody
>> will be able to use Scilab 5. Too bad.
> Funny architecture, can I ask why ?

Easy. Many people in a University, and only one performant server
for computations. Do you know a better way (e.g. a Freeware X11 server
supporting OpenGL for the clients) ?

S.

> Sylvestre

Re: Scilab 5 and non openGL X11 servers

Ok, I forgot Mesa...

S.

Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :
Le jeudi 07 mai 2009 à 16:42 +0200, StŽéphane Mottelet a écrit :

Hi again,

I finally managed to compile Scilab 5.1.1 on our Linux Centos server.

How did you do that ?

It seems that Scilab is not able to cope with non OpenGL servers (a
warning is given that the drivers of the graphical card does not
support OpenGL). Are there plans to use a deprecated X11 mode ?

Using the vesa driver should fix your problem.

what do you mean by "using the vesa driver " ?

S.

Here at work everybody uses the machine through VNC; so nobody
will be able to use Scilab 5. Too bad.

Funny architecture, can I ask why ?

Re: Scilab 5 and non openGL X11 servers

Hello,

Le jeudi 14 mai 2009 à 09:44 +0200, StŽéphane Mottelet a écrit :

> Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :
> > Le jeudi 07 mai 2009 à 16:42 +0200, StŽéphane Mottelet a écrit :
> >
> > > Hi again,
> > >
> > > I finally managed to compile Scilab 5.1.1 on our Linux Centos server.
> > >
> > How did you do that ?
> >

> > > It seems that Scilab is not able to cope with non OpenGL servers (a
> > > warning is given that the drivers of the graphical card does not
> > > support OpenGL). Are there plans to use a deprecated X11 mode ?
> > >
> > Using the vesa driver should fix your problem.
> >

> what do you mean by "using the vesa driver " ?
It is described here:
http://wiki.scilab.org/Graphical_issues_with_Scilab_5.0#head-e55f5eb0441a1361d05ca35abab93ebc191c3b2e

Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :

Le jeudi 07 mai 2009 à 16:42 +0200, StŽéphane Mottelet a écrit :

Hi again,

I finally managed to compile Scilab 5.1.1 on our Linux Centos server.

How did you do that ?

It seems that Scilab is not able to cope with non OpenGL servers (a
warning is given that the drivers of the graphical card does not
support OpenGL). Are there plans to use a deprecated X11 mode ?

Using the vesa driver should fix your problem.

what do you mean by "using the vesa driver " ?

It is described here:
http://wiki.scilab.org/Graphical_issues_with_Scilab_5.0#head-e55f5eb0441a1361d05ca35abab93ebc191c3b2e

Sylvestre

Im am sorry, but there is no xorg.conf for Xvnc, which is not a "classical" Xserver.

Re: Scilab 5 and non openGL X11 servers

> > > what do you mean by "using the vesa driver " ?
> > >
> > It is described here:
> > http://wiki.scilab.org/Graphical_issues_with_Scilab_5.0#head-e55f5eb0441a1361d05ca35abab93ebc191c3b2e
> >
> Im am sorry, but there is no xorg.conf for Xvnc, which is not a
> "classical" Xserver.
I am not familiar with such systems. However, I guess you have a X
server on the server itself. It is where you would have to do this
change.

Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :

It seems that Scilab is not able to cope with non OpenGL servers (a
warning is given that the drivers of the graphical card does not
support OpenGL). Are there plans to use a deprecated X11 mode ?

Using the vesa driver should fix your problem.

what do you mean by "using the vesa driver " ?

It is described here:
http://wiki.scilab.org/Graphical_issues_with_Scilab_5.0#head-e55f5eb0441a1361d05ca35abab93ebc191c3b2e

Im am sorry, but there is no xorg.conf for Xvnc, which is not a
"classical" Xserver.

I am not familiar with such systems. However, I guess you have a X
server on the server itself. It is where you would have to do this
change.

Sylvestre

I have tried this, but it does not change anything (glxinfo still complains about no
GLX extension on the X server, and Scilab does not want to plot anything).
The Xvnc Xserver has nothing to do with the *local* Xserver talking to
the graphics card.

S.
Jonathan Blanchard Jonathan Blanchard

Re: Scilab 5 and non openGL X11 servers

Hi,

Logically since there is no hardware with vnc there is normally no
opengl implementation. You must compile it yourself as the mesa Xlib
driver, sometime called software rendering.

See www.mesa3d.org in the compiling section see the instruction for
standalone mesa.

Jonathan Blanchard

2009/5/14 StŽéphane Mottelet <[hidden email]>:

> Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :
>

> It seems that Scilab is not able to cope with non OpenGL servers (a
> warning is given that the drivers of the graphical card does not
> support OpenGL). Are there plans to use a deprecated X11 mode ?
>

> Using the vesa driver should fix your problem.
>

> what do you mean by "using the vesa driver " ?
>

> It is described here:
> http://wiki.scilab.org/Graphical_issues_with_Scilab_5.0#head-e55f5eb0441a1361d05ca35abab93ebc191c3b2e
>

> Im am sorry, but there is no xorg.conf for Xvnc, which is not a
> "classical" Xserver.
>

> I am not familiar with such systems. However, I guess you have a X
> server on the server itself. It is where you would have to do this
> change.
>
> Sylvestre
>

> I have tried this, but it does not change anything (glxinfo still complains
> about no
> GLX extension on the X server, and Scilab does not want to plot anything).
> The Xvnc Xserver has nothing to do with the *local* Xserver talking to
> the graphics card.
>

> S.

Bizarre figure_size convention in 5.1.1

Hi again,

seems that the figure_size definition has changed in 5.1.1, this causes some
different behaviour between e.g. 4.1.2 and scilab>5.

In Scilab 5.1.1, at least under windows xp, the height of the figure given
by get(gcf(), figure_size)  is equal to the full height of the window,
taking
 into account the height  of the scilab toolbar and the height of the window
manager's window bar.

In Scilab 4.1.2, the height given by figure_size is equal to the height of
the canvas + the height of the Scilab toolbar.

In Matlab, the height of the window given by get(gcf,'Position') is equal to
the height of the canvas, which seems to be the most logical option (i.e.
platform independent).

S.

Stefan Du Rietz Stefan Du Rietz

Re: Bizarre figure_size convention in 5.1.1

I agree completely!

Stefan

On 2009-05-14 16:19, StŽéphane Mottelet wrote:
--------------------

> Hi again,
>
> seems that the figure_size definition has changed in 5.1.1, this causes
> some
> different behaviour between e.g. 4.1.2 and scilab>5.
>
> In Scilab 5.1.1, at least under windows xp, the height of the figure given
> by get(gcf(), figure_size)  is equal to the full height of the window,
> taking
> into account the height  of the scilab toolbar and the height of the window
> manager's window bar.
>
> In Scilab 4.1.2, the height given by figure_size is equal to the height of
> the canvas + the height of the Scilab toolbar.
>
> In Matlab, the height of the window given by get(gcf,'Position') is
> equal to
> the height of the canvas, which seems to be the most logical option (i.e.
> platform independent).
>
> S.

Re: Bizarre figure_size convention in 5.1.1

Hi all,

this as been bugzilled #4521, but I discovered that really big problems are
a consequence of this issue. I am currently developping a feature
which needs to identify the handle of an axis where a mouse
clik occured (with an event_handler function). Since the coordinates
recovered in the event handler function are integer coordinates in
the *real*canvas of the figure, it is impossible to compute the
real limits of the axis in pixel coordinates (using the axis_bounds
property), since the figure_size property is wrong (the height is
not equal to the height of the canvas).

I now there may be more critical bugs, but this one is really
problematic for people developping some stuff related
to graphics...

S.