Scilab-5 and rendering a plot under linux

Collette Yann-3 Collette Yann-3

Scilab-5 and rendering a plot under linux

I've still a lot of problem to render a plot under linux
mandriva-2008.0. I'm an unlucky owner of an ati radean 9200 PRO graphic
card.
I've tried to install the latest ati driver obtained from ati.amd.com
and scilab-5 hangs when I tried to plot a simple curve (see bug
So I decided to switch to the x.org ati driver.
First try: I removed the Load "glx" and Load "dri" options with the
"radeon" driver.
When I enter the command plot(X,Y), an empty plot windows pops up and an
error message appears in the console (something like "can't find GLX ...").
Second try: I added the Load "glx" option and then, the plot windows
appears and a loop  of error messages (related to java) appears in the
console. The list of messages ended with:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java
heap space

I join a log of the error messages (the log is gzipped and weight 11Mo
ungzipped !).

Yann COLLETTE

log.txt.gz (926K) Download Attachment
Simone Mannori Simone Mannori

Bonjour,

unfortunately the Scilab 5 Java graphics pipeline crash with all the
Linux ATI 3D driver (binary and open source) that we have tested.

Jean-Baptiste Silvy is in direct contact with ATI and JOGL developers:
we want to find a way to fix this bug (probably an ATI-Linux driver
issue) as soon is possible.

In the meanwhile you have two alternatives :

- if you disable all the DRI acceleration features, the MESA software
only emulation works. Very, Very slow but Scilab 5 works ;

- install the binary version under Windows. Under Windows Scilab 5 works
with ATI cards perfectly. I personally tested also integrated cards
(ATI, Intel and SIS) with success.

Unfortunately for Linux users, the average quality of the ATI Linux
driver is not at the same level of the Windows version.

With NVIDIA Scilab 5 works perfectly (Linux, Windows).

I have four laptops with ATI cards (three PCs, one Mac), so I am very
well motivated for this job.

Simone Mannori - Scilab/Scicos Embedded Applications Eng.

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 11:04 +0100, Collette Yann wrote:

> Hello,
> I've still a lot of problem to render a plot under linux
> mandriva-2008.0. I'm an unlucky owner of an ati radean 9200 PRO graphic
> card.
> I've tried to install the latest ati driver obtained from ati.amd.com
> and scilab-5 hangs when I tried to plot a simple curve (see bug
> http://www.scilab.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla_bug_II/show_bug.cgi?id=2657).
> So I decided to switch to the x.org ati driver.
> First try: I removed the Load "glx" and Load "dri" options with the
> "radeon" driver.
> When I enter the command plot(X,Y), an empty plot windows pops up and an
> error message appears in the console (something like "can't find GLX ...").
> Second try: I added the Load "glx" option and then, the plot windows
> appears and a loop  of error messages (related to java) appears in the
> console. The list of messages ended with:
> Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java
> heap space
> I join a log of the error messages (the log is gzipped and weight 11Mo
> ungzipped !).
> Yann COLLETTE

ycollet ycollet

Re: Scilab-5 and rendering a plot under linux

Thanks for the comment. I have tried under windows and it works fine for
me too.

YC

Simone Mannori a écrit :

> Bonjour,
> unfortunately the Scilab 5 Java graphics pipeline crash with all the
> Linux ATI 3D driver (binary and open source) that we have tested.
> Jean-Baptiste Silvy is in direct contact with ATI and JOGL developers:
> we want to find a way to fix this bug (probably an ATI-Linux driver
> issue) as soon is possible.
> In the meanwhile you have two alternatives :
> - if you disable all the DRI acceleration features, the MESA software
> only emulation works. Very, Very slow but Scilab 5 works ;
> - install the binary version under Windows. Under Windows Scilab 5 works
> with ATI cards perfectly. I personally tested also integrated cards
> (ATI, Intel and SIS) with success.
> Unfortunately for Linux users, the average quality of the ATI Linux
> driver is not at the same level of the Windows version.
> With NVIDIA Scilab 5 works perfectly (Linux, Windows).
> I have four laptops with ATI cards (three PCs, one Mac), so I am very
> well motivated for this job.
> Simone Mannori - Scilab/Scicos Embedded Applications Eng.
> On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 11:04 +0100, Collette Yann wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I've still a lot of problem to render a plot under linux
>> mandriva-2008.0. I'm an unlucky owner of an ati radean 9200 PRO graphic
>> card.
>> I've tried to install the latest ati driver obtained from ati.amd.com
>> and scilab-5 hangs when I tried to plot a simple curve (see bug
>> http://www.scilab.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla_bug_II/show_bug.cgi?id=2657).
>> So I decided to switch to the x.org ati driver.
>> First try: I removed the Load "glx" and Load "dri" options with the
>> "radeon" driver.
>> When I enter the command plot(X,Y), an empty plot windows pops up and an
>> error message appears in the console (something like "can't find GLX ...").
>> Second try: I added the Load "glx" option and then, the plot windows
>> appears and a loop  of error messages (related to java) appears in the
>> console. The list of messages ended with:
>> Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java
>> heap space
>> I join a log of the error messages (the log is gzipped and weight 11Mo
>> ungzipped !).
>> Yann COLLETTE

ycollet ycollet

In reply to this post by Simone Mannori
By the way: the last driver I tried was "radeon" which is shipped via
xorg and it's not a driver made by ATI.
The problem is nearly the same with this driver. It doesn't make scilab
hang, but scilab seems to be trapped into an infinite loop ...

YC

Simone Mannori a écrit :

> Bonjour,
> unfortunately the Scilab 5 Java graphics pipeline crash with all the
> Linux ATI 3D driver (binary and open source) that we have tested.
> Jean-Baptiste Silvy is in direct contact with ATI and JOGL developers:
> we want to find a way to fix this bug (probably an ATI-Linux driver
> issue) as soon is possible.
> In the meanwhile you have two alternatives :
> - if you disable all the DRI acceleration features, the MESA software
> only emulation works. Very, Very slow but Scilab 5 works ;
> - install the binary version under Windows. Under Windows Scilab 5 works
> with ATI cards perfectly. I personally tested also integrated cards
> (ATI, Intel and SIS) with success.
> Unfortunately for Linux users, the average quality of the ATI Linux
> driver is not at the same level of the Windows version.
> With NVIDIA Scilab 5 works perfectly (Linux, Windows).
> I have four laptops with ATI cards (three PCs, one Mac), so I am very
> well motivated for this job.
> Simone Mannori - Scilab/Scicos Embedded Applications Eng.
> On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 11:04 +0100, Collette Yann wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I've still a lot of problem to render a plot under linux
>> mandriva-2008.0. I'm an unlucky owner of an ati radean 9200 PRO graphic
>> card.
>> I've tried to install the latest ati driver obtained from ati.amd.com
>> and scilab-5 hangs when I tried to plot a simple curve (see bug
>> http://www.scilab.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla_bug_II/show_bug.cgi?id=2657).
>> So I decided to switch to the x.org ati driver.
>> First try: I removed the Load "glx" and Load "dri" options with the
>> "radeon" driver.
>> When I enter the command plot(X,Y), an empty plot windows pops up and an
>> error message appears in the console (something like "can't find GLX ...").
>> Second try: I added the Load "glx" option and then, the plot windows

> I've still a lot of problem to render a plot under linux
> mandriva-2008.0. I'm an unlucky owner of an ati radean 9200 PRO
> graphic card.
> I've tried to install the latest ati driver obtained from ati.amd.com
> and scilab-5 hangs when I tried to plot a simple curve (see bug
> http://www.scilab.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla_bug_II/show_bug.cgi?id=2657).
> So I decided to switch to the x.org ati driver.
> First try: I removed the Load "glx" and Load "dri" options with the
> "radeon" driver.
> When I enter the command plot(X,Y), an empty plot windows pops up and
> an error message appears in the console (something like "can't find
> GLX ...").
> Second try: I added the Load "glx" option and then, the plot windows
> appears and a loop  of error messages (related to java) appears in the
> console. The list of messages ended with:
> Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
> Java heap space
> I join a log of the error messages (the log is gzipped and weight 11Mo
> ungzipped !).
> Yann COLLETTE

Ah ah ! Something has changed since this morning.
Here are the messages I see in the bash console when I start scilab
(these messages where not here this morning):

Could not enable OpenGL pipeline for default config on screen 0
org.scilab.modules.gui.bridge.CallScilabBridge.setEventHandlerEnabled(Unknown
Source)
Set the EventHandler status  of figure 0 to false
Set the EventHandler of figure 0 to
Set the EventHandler status  of figure 0 to false

Now, When  do a plot(X,Y), here is the window I see (without any
infinite loop) (see included image).
All the points of the curve are here ... but in disorder :-)

YC

>> I've still a lot of problem to render a plot under linux
>> mandriva-2008.0. I'm an unlucky owner of an ati radean 9200 PRO
>> graphic card.
>> I've tried to install the latest ati driver obtained from ati.amd.com
>> and scilab-5 hangs when I tried to plot a simple curve (see bug
>> http://www.scilab.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla_bug_II/show_bug.cgi?id=2657).
>> So I decided to switch to the x.org ati driver.
>> First try: I removed the Load "glx" and Load "dri" options with the
>> "radeon" driver.
>> When I enter the command plot(X,Y), an empty plot windows pops up and
>> an error message appears in the console (something like "can't find
>> GLX ...").
>> Second try: I added the Load "glx" option and then, the plot windows
>> appears and a loop  of error messages (related to java) appears in
>> the console. The list of messages ended with:
>> Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
>> Java heap space
>> I join a log of the error messages (the log is gzipped and weight
>> 11Mo ungzipped !).
>> Yann COLLETTE
> Hello,
> Ah ah ! Something has changed since this morning.
> Here are the messages I see in the bash console when I start scilab
> (these messages where not here this morning):
> Could not enable OpenGL pipeline for default config on screen 0
> org.scilab.modules.gui.bridge.CallScilabBridge.setEventHandlerEnabled(Unknown
> Source)
> Set the EventHandler status  of figure 0 to false
> Set the EventHandler of figure 0 to
> Set the EventHandler status  of figure 0 to false
> Now, When  do a plot(X,Y), here is the window I see (without any
> infinite loop) (see included image).
> All the points of the curve are here ... but in disorder :-)
> YC

Email : [hidden email]
Tél : +33 (0)1 39 63 54 46
Fax : +33 (0)1 39 63 55 94
==============================================

COLLETTE Yann COLLETTE Yann

Re: Scilab-5 and rendering a plot under linux

The good news is that the plot command started to work under ATI (I have
switched to the xorg radeon driver instead of the proprietary ATI driver).

YC

Vincent COUVERT a écrit :

> These NullPointerException should no more occur, I fixed this bug
> yesterday evening.
> Vincent
> Collette Yann a écrit :
>> Collette Yann a écrit :
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've still a lot of problem to render a plot under linux
>>> mandriva-2008.0. I'm an unlucky owner of an ati radean 9200 PRO
>>> graphic card.
>>> I've tried to install the latest ati driver obtained from
>>> ati.amd.com and scilab-5 hangs when I tried to plot a simple curve
>>> (see bug
>>> http://www.scilab.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla_bug_II/show_bug.cgi?id=2657).
>>> So I decided to switch to the x.org ati driver.
>>> First try: I removed the Load "glx" and Load "dri" options with the
>>> "radeon" driver.
>>> When I enter the command plot(X,Y), an empty plot windows pops up
>>> and an error message appears in the console (something like "can't
>>> find GLX ...").
>>> Second try: I added the Load "glx" option and then, the plot windows
>>> appears and a loop  of error messages (related to java) appears in
>>> the console. The list of messages ended with:
>>> Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
>>> Java heap space
>>>
>>> I join a log of the error messages (the log is gzipped and weight
>>> 11Mo ungzipped !).
>>>
>>> Yann COLLETTE
>> Hello,
>> Ah ah ! Something has changed since this morning.
>> Here are the messages I see in the bash console when I start scilab
>> (these messages where not here this morning):
>> Could not enable OpenGL pipeline for default config on screen 0
>>        at
>> Source)
>> Set the EventHandler status  of figure 0 to false
>> Set the EventHandler of figure 0 to
>> Set the EventHandler status  of figure 0 to false
>> Now, When  do a plot(X,Y), here is the window I see (without any
>> infinite loop) (see included image).
>> All the points of the curve are here ... but in disorder :-)
>> YC
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simone Mannori Simone Mannori

Bonjour Yann,

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 08:45 +0100, COLLETTE Yann wrote:
> The good news is that the plot command started to work under ATI (I have
> switched to the xorg radeon driver instead of the proprietary ATI driver).

A very good news ! Have you activated the 3D acceleration ?

May you so kind to send us the results of :

- glxinfo

- /sbin/lspci

- glxgears

- a copy of "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" ?

- any other "special trick" a/o configuration options used on you
  setup ...

Thanks in advance for your effort :)

M. Simone Mannori - Scilab/Scicos Embedded Applications

//**---------------------------------------------------------

> YC
> Vincent COUVERT a écrit :
> > These NullPointerException should no more occur, I fixed this bug
> > yesterday evening.
> > Vincent
> > Collette Yann a écrit :
> >> Collette Yann a écrit :
> >>> Hello,
> >>>
> >>> I've still a lot of problem to render a plot under linux
> >>> mandriva-2008.0. I'm an unlucky owner of an ati radean 9200 PRO
> >>> graphic card.
> >>> I've tried to install the latest ati driver obtained from
> >>> ati.amd.com and scilab-5 hangs when I tried to plot a simple curve
> >>> (see bug
> >>> http://www.scilab.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla_bug_II/show_bug.cgi?id=2657).
> >>> So I decided to switch to the x.org ati driver.
> >>> First try: I removed the Load "glx" and Load "dri" options with the
> >>> "radeon" driver.
> >>> When I enter the command plot(X,Y), an empty plot windows pops up
> >>> and an error message appears in the console (something like "can't
> >>> find GLX ...").
> >>> Second try: I added the Load "glx" option and then, the plot windows
> >>> appears and a loop  of error messages (related to java) appears in
> >>> the console. The list of messages ended with:
> >>> Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
> >>> Java heap space
> >>>
> >>> I join a log of the error messages (the log is gzipped and weight
> >>> 11Mo ungzipped !).
> >>>
> >>> Yann COLLETTE
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Ah ah ! Something has changed since this morning.
> >> Here are the messages I see in the bash console when I start scilab
> >> (these messages where not here this morning):
> >> Could not enable OpenGL pipeline for default config on screen 0
> >> Set the EventHandler status  of figure 0 to false
> >> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
> >>        at
> >> org.scilab.modules.gui.bridge.CallScilabBridge.setEventHandlerEnabled(Unknown
> >> Source)
> >> Set the EventHandler of figure 0 to
> >> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
> >>        at
> >> org.scilab.modules.gui.bridge.CallScilabBridge.setEventHandler(Unknown
> >> Source)
> >> Set the EventHandler status  of figure 0 to false
> >> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
> >>        at
> >> Source)
> >> Set the EventHandler status  of figure 0 to false
> >> Set the EventHandler of figure 0 to
> >> Set the EventHandler status  of figure 0 to false
> >> Now, When  do a plot(X,Y), here is the window I see (without any
> >> infinite loop) (see included image).
> >> All the points of the curve are here ... but in disorder :-)
> >> YC
> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

COLLETTE Yann COLLETTE Yann

Re: Scilab-5 and rendering a plot under linux

I will send these complete info tonight but yes, GL is activated (Load
"glx" is uncommented in my xorg.conf).
the graphics card has a radeon 9200 PRO (got from lspci).
I have leave commented the DRI option (Load "dri").

YC

Simone Mannori a écrit :

> Bonjour Yann,
> On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 08:45 +0100, COLLETTE Yann wrote:
>> The good news is that the plot command started to work under ATI (I have
>> switched to the xorg radeon driver instead of the proprietary ATI driver).
> A very good news ! Have you activated the 3D acceleration ?
> May you so kind to send us the results of :
> - glxinfo
> - /sbin/lspci
> - glxgears
> - a copy of "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" ?
> - any other "special trick" a/o configuration options used on you
>   setup ...
> Thanks in advance for your effort :)
> M. Simone Mannori - Scilab/Scicos Embedded Applications
> //**---------------------------------------------------------

Simone Mannori Simone Mannori

Bonjour Yann,

thanks for the quick reply ...

> I will send these complete info tonight but yes, GL is activated (Load
> "glx" is uncommented in my xorg.conf).

GooD :)

> the graphics card has a radeon 9200 PRO (got from lspci).

I like this card: it was my first RTAI-LAB card ;)

> I have leave commented the DRI option (Load "dri").
.... no, no, no. I think that you need this option active to access to
the DRI OpenGL hardware acceleration.

Thanks again

Simone

"I trust you..., but I will check you three times."
   Ronald Reagan about Russian disarmament (1987).

> YC
> Simone Mannori a écrit :
> > Bonjour Yann,
> > On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 08:45 +0100, COLLETTE Yann wrote:
> >> The good news is that the plot command started to work under ATI (I have
> >> switched to the xorg radeon driver instead of the proprietary ATI driver).
> >
> > A very good news ! Have you activated the 3D acceleration ?
> > May you so kind to send us the results of :
> > - glxinfo
> > - /sbin/lspci
> > - glxgears
> >
> > - a copy of "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" ?
> > - any other "special trick" a/o configuration options used on you
> >   setup ...
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your effort :)
> > M. Simone Mannori - Scilab/Scicos Embedded Applications
> > //**---------------------------------------------------------

COLLETTE Yann COLLETTE Yann

Re: Scilab-5 and rendering a plot under linux

>> I have leave commented the DRI option (Load "dri").
> .... no, no, no. I think that you need this option active to access to
> the DRI OpenGL hardware acceleration.
Yes I know, but that's also a huge source of problems for some cards.
But I will try scilab-5 with dri tonight.

YC

ycollet ycollet

In reply to this post by Collette Yann-3

I've just performed some test with the ati and radeon driver.
If I disable the dri option (Load "dri") everything works fine for ati
and radeon.
If I enable the dri option, the plot command makes scilab hangs with the
radeon driver and the ati driver.
So, the problem seems to be located somewhere around the xorg dri driver ?

I can see a window when I enter "plot", but the plot is still not rendered.

YC

Simone Mannori Simone Mannori

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 19:07 +0100, Collette Yann wrote:
> Hello,
> I've just performed some test with the ati and radeon driver.
> If I disable the dri option (Load "dri") everything works fine for ati
> and radeon.

OK. Good to know.

> If I enable the dri option, the plot command makes scilab hangs with the
> radeon driver and the ati driver.
> So, the problem seems to be located somewhere around the xorg dri driver ?
Probably. We are investigating in this direction.

Send us - please - the debugging information that I asked in the
previous email.

Thanks in advance for you collaboration.

M. Simone Mannori

ycollet ycollet

Re: Scilab-5 and rendering a plot under linux

glxgears works fine (but a lot more slower than with dri enabled).

YC

Simone Mannori a écrit :

> On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 19:07 +0100, Collette Yann wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I've just performed some test with the ati and radeon driver.
>> If I disable the dri option (Load "dri") everything works fine for ati
>> and radeon.
> OK. Good to know.
>> If I enable the dri option, the plot command makes scilab hangs with the
>> radeon driver and the ati driver.
>> So, the problem seems to be located somewhere around the xorg dri driver ?
> Probably. We are investigating in this direction.
> Send us - please - the debugging information that I asked in the
> previous email.
> Thanks in advance for you collaboration.
> M. Simone Mannori

glxinfo.txt.gz (1K) Download Attachment
lspci.txt.gz (652 bytes) Download Attachment
xorg.conf.gz (1K) Download Attachment
Xorg.0.log.gz (12K) Download Attachment
Simone Mannori Simone Mannori

Bonjour,

thanks for the"debug" files :).

For the moment, only NVDIA users can benefit of the hardware
acceleration :(

If you need just to "plot" some functions the MESA software emulation
will suffice.

Other applications, like Scicos, need a more "quick" graphics.

Probably the bug is cached somewhere DRI OpenGL driver and JOGL low
level routine. These two "things" are not part of Scilab 5 developed
code.

We are in direct contact with ATI and JOGL developers and we are looking
for a solution for the Linux NON-NVIDIA users.

Under Windows, all (and I say ALL) the 3D cards that I tested are
correctly working:
- NVIDIA
- ATI
- intel
- SIS

Unfortunately, under Linux, only NVIDIA has produced a DRI driver with
the quality level required by JOGL.

Thanks again for you collaboration: probably I will open a Wiki page
here

to give some support to the "unfortunate" Linux users (like myself :( ).

M. Simone Mannori - Scilab/Scicos Embedded Applications Eng.

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 08:18 +0100, Collette Yann wrote:

> Hello,
> glxgears works fine (but a lot more slower than with dri enabled).
> YC
> Simone Mannori a écrit :
> > On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 19:07 +0100, Collette Yann wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I've just performed some test with the ati and radeon driver.
> >> If I disable the dri option (Load "dri") everything works fine for ati
> >> and radeon.
> > OK. Good to know.
> >
> >> If I enable the dri option, the plot command makes scilab hangs with the
> >> radeon driver and the ati driver.
> >> So, the problem seems to be located somewhere around the xorg dri driver ?
> >>
> > Probably. We are investigating in this direction.
> > Send us - please - the debugging information that I asked in the
> > previous email.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for you collaboration.
> > M. Simone Mannori