Scilab 5 under Solaris 10

Langella Raphael Langella Raphael

Scilab 5 under Solaris 10

Hi,
I tried to install french localization with scilab 5.1.1 under Solaris 10. So I typed "make localization" and start scilab with "-l fr", and I get the following error:

Warning: Localization issue. Doesn't support the locale 'fr_FR#
# An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xfbab20d0, pid=13500, tid=1
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (11.0-b16 mixed mode, sharing solaris-sparc)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libc.so.1+0x320d0]  strlen+0x50
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /export/home/exploit/hs_err_pid13500.log
#
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

The jdk is supposed to come with localization for all languages. What's going on?

Raphaël Langella

Re: Scilab 5 under Solaris 10

Hello Raphael,

> Hi,
> I tried to install french localization with scilab 5.1.1 under Solaris 10. So I typed "make localization" and start scilab with "-l fr", and I get the following error:
>
> Warning: Localization issue. Doesn't support the locale 'fr_FR#
> # An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
> #
> #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xfbab20d0, pid=13500, tid=1
> #
> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (11.0-b16 mixed mode, sharing solaris-sparc)
> # Problematic frame:
> # C  [libc.so.1+0x320d0]  strlen+0x50
> #
> # An error report file with more information is saved as:
> # /export/home/exploit/hs_err_pid13500.log
> #
> # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
> #   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
> # The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
> # See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
>
> The jdk is supposed to come with localization for all languages. What's going on?
Could you provide the native trace which should be in:
/export/home/exploit/hs_err_pid13500.log

Do you confirm it is working fine in English ?

What happens when you try:
LANG=fr_FR ./bin/scilab ?
or
LANG=fr_FR ./bin/scilab -nwni ?

--
Sylvestre Ledru
-------------------------

Langella Raphael Langella Raphael

> Could you provide the native trace which should be in:
> /export/home/exploit/hs_err_pid13500.log

Here it is.

> Do you confirm it is working fine in English ?

It does.

> What happens when you try:
> LANG=fr_FR ./bin/scilab ?
> or
> LANG=fr_FR ./bin/scilab -nwni ?

it says :

couldn't set locale correctly

and starts in english

hs_err_pid13500.log (24K) Download Attachment

RE: Scilab 5 under Solaris 10

Le lundi 12 octobre 2009 à 15:09 +0200, Langella Raphael a écrit :

> [...]
OK, that means you haven't probably build the locale on your computer. I
am not familiar enough with Solaris but under Debian/Ubuntu, it is
dpkg-reconfigure locales

(but I agree that it should not crash anyway)

Sylvestre Ledru
-------------------------
The Scilab Consortium
Digiteo
Domaine de Voluceau
Rocquencourt - B.P. 105
78153 Le Chesnay Cedex
France

Langella Raphael Langella Raphael

> Le lundi 12 octobre 2009 à 15:09 +0200, Langella Raphael a écrit :

OK, after proper locale installation on the system, it doesn't crash anymore. But the software is still in english! I guess localization isn't finished yet. Only part of the help was in french.
By the way, I still have tiny, ugly, unreadable font for the help. I posted about that a while ago but didn't get any answer. Isn't there something that can be done about that?

Raphaël

RE: Scilab 5 under Solaris 10

> > > It does.

> > > it says :
> > >
> > > couldn't set locale correctly
> > >
> > > and starts in english
> > OK, that means you haven't probably build the locale on your
> > computer. I am not familiar enough with Solaris but under
> > Debian/Ubuntu, it is dpkg-reconfigure locales
> >
> > (but I agree that it should not crash anyway)
>
> OK, after proper locale installation on the system, it doesn't crash anymore. But the software is still in english!
does "make localization" returns any errors ?

> I guess localization isn't finished yet. Only part of the help was in french.
The french localization (among others) is close to 100 % and the help
system is not at all the same as the localization of the application
itself. It is probably a problem with the gettext library under Solaris
which fails.

> By the way, I still have tiny, ugly, unreadable font for the help. I posted about that a while ago but didn't get any answer. Isn't there something that can be done about that?
Sorry about that. We are receiving tonne of emails and we can miss some
of them. Could you report a bug (with screenshots, configuration, os) ?
It is the best way to have your problem processed.

Sylvestre Ledru
-------------------------
The Scilab Consortium
Digiteo
Domaine de Voluceau
Rocquencourt - B.P. 105
78153 Le Chesnay Cedex
France

Langella Raphael Langella Raphael

> > OK, after proper locale installation on the system, it
> doesn't crash anymore. But the software is still in english!
> does "make localization" returns any errors ?

Actually, yes it did. I forgot about that :

-- Building for fr_FR --
/Produits/publics/sparc.SunOS.5.9/ggettext/0.17/bin/msgcat: warning: Input files contain messages in different encodings, UTF-8 among others.
                                                                     Converting the output to UTF-8.
2626 translated messages, 81 fuzzy translations, 10 untranslated messages.

> > By the way, I still have tiny, ugly, unreadable font for
> the help. I posted about that a while ago but didn't get any
> answer. Isn't there something that can be done about that?
> Sorry about that. We are receiving tonne of emails and we can
> miss some of them. Could you report a bug (with screenshots,
> configuration, os) ?
> It is the best way to have your problem processed.

Done. Bug n°4939.

Thanks

Collette yann-2 Collette yann-2

Re: Scilab 5 under Solaris 10

Do you have a /usr/lib/locale directory,
Look inside if there is a fr_FR directory. If not, as a root user, do a
symlink between fr_FR.utf8 (which should exist) and fr_FR.

YC

--
Yann COLLETTE