Scilab 6.0.0 has been released !

Dear Scilab developers,

Scilab 6.0.0 is now out [1]. Thanks to everyone who helped build this brand new version !

We still have bugs and want to start adding features using Scilab 6 brand new capabilities. For the
upcoming 6.0.1 release, we will continue the bug fixes and help improvement started on the 6.0
branch. Do not hesitate to set up the git branch and push your changes !

As a mid-term target, we also planned some work for 6.1.0 and we have some idea about our next
revision. For exemple (incomplete list):
* help browser improvement (targetting a best indexation and removing javahelp dependency)
* using analysis for execution speedup
* more demos and help dedicated pages
* import() like python and javascript
* graphical improvement (treeview in uicontrols, uicontrol graphic export)

Do you have other ideas, requests for the near future ?

[1]: http://www.scilab.org/community/news/scilab6
[2]: https://wiki.scilab.org/CategorySep

Thanks for your involvement,

Eric Dubois Eric Dubois

Re: Scilab 6.0.0 has been released !

Thanks for this great achievement and for asking our opinion on Scilab future.

For me the priority should be to improve execution speed, which lags behind state of art similar software, in particular since Julia (http://julialang.org/), which is a valuable competitor for the kind of applications I develop, has been released.

Almost as important, it should be urgent I think to make readxls work with Excel versions beyond 2003: yes, you can always save an Excel file created in recent versions into an Excel 2003 one but a) it is still less straigthforward than importing directly the original file b) it prevents automatic treatment, such as importing automatically data from internet each time they are updated and running automated treatments on them.

Two less important avenues:
- updating the mfile2sci program, which has some shortcomings and which has not been updated to more recent Matlab releases;
- making toolboxes developped over time by various Scilab developpers work with Scilab-6.0.0 (for instance Xls link that does insatll properly even with Scilab 5.5.2).

Best regards

Éric

[...]

Antoine Monmayrant Antoine Monmayrant

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? Scilab 6.0.0 has been released !

Thanks for this good news.
I think ironing out the most annoying bugs (like comments stopping code execution from scinotes) is crucial now that 6.0 is out of beta.
That being said, I see the following as major improvements for the next version to come:
- improve the help content. That's were Scilab is really behind comparable softwares (octave, matlab, ...). Most of the time, the help page for a given function looks more like some notes hastily taken by someone who already know how to use the function instead of a proper help page.- make uman part of scilab by default (I already briefly discuss this with Samuel). When one uses scilab in the command line, having a decent help system in the command line is key.
- uicontrols: there is a lot of work to do. The help pages are really terrible and confusing. Try 'help layout' to see what I mean: I had to browse java help pages to try to understand what the differences are between the different layouts and how to tune them. There are many bugs, missing functionalities and incoherences related to uicontrols.
- better/new graphic export functions. As such, it's almost impossible to export in a vectorial format (svg, pdf or eps) a graph containing a complex contourf or grayplot. Could we get a hybrid export: bitmap for the complex grayplot embedded in a svg/pdf/eps file where all the rest (axes, labels, ticks) are vectorial?
- transparency support in graphics: again, what can be achieved with scilab cannot compete with matplotlib and the likes.
- proper debug & breakpoint support in scinotes.

That's all I can think of for the moment.

Cheers,

Antoine

Le Jeudi, Février 16, 2017 09:23 CET, Clément David <[hidden email]> a écrit:

> Dear Scilab developers,
>
> Scilab 6.0.0 is now out [1]. Thanks to everyone who helped build this brand new version !
>
> We still have bugs and want to start adding features using Scilab 6 brand new capabilities. For the
> upcoming 6.0.1 release, we will continue the bug fixes and help improvement started on the 6.0
> branch. Do not hesitate to set up the git branch and push your changes !
>
> As a mid-term target, we also planned some work for 6.1.0 and we have some idea about our next
> revision. For exemple (incomplete list):
> * help browser improvement (targetting a best indexation and removing javahelp dependency)
> * using analysis for execution speedup
> * more demos and help dedicated pages
> * import() like python and javascript
> * graphical improvement (treeview in uicontrols, uicontrol graphic export)
>
> Do you have other ideas, requests for the near future ?
>

> [1]: http://www.scilab.org/community/news/scilab6
> [2]: https://wiki.scilab.org/CategorySep
>
> Thanks for your involvement,
>
> –
> Clément
Amanda Osvaldo Amanda Osvaldo

Re: Scilab 6.0.0 has been released !

Hi, since they opened the subject of new updates, I am sending these suggestions.

They are the accumulation of at least 6 years of know-how, I tried to make them simple and small, so if you have any doubts and want to deepen some topic, just make the question.

Basically I focused on the ability to extend SciLAB and usability.

The ability to extend is very important because it allows you to go beyond calculation and give new resources to SciLAB quickly.

I believe that many of the problems presented here can be solved by link and call macros and by creating new macros.

I particularly avoid creating modules in C / C ++ because I believe that this escapes the mathematical domain of the problem, since it requires a longer time to debug.

The complete list it's attached in this e-mail.

On Thu, 2017-02-16 at 09:23 +0100, Clément David wrote:
[...]

SciLAB.odt (33K) Download Attachment

Q/A about features

Hello Amanda,

Thanks for this very long list of nice ideas and/or questions.
I guess you already know this wiki page: https://wiki.scilab.org/GSoC_project_proposal
You may add some ideas and open new pages to describe them.
But thinking about is quite easy. Doing things is nicer :)

I would like just answer to some of your questions:
* Salvar o ambiente
I have not found in the manual, is there any way to save all the variables and macros that are in memory in an HDF5 file to then load it again?
This allows a person to stop what he is doing and continue later from where he left off.

This is possible from the console menu File => Save/Load environment.."
This includes opened figures, that are also saved and restored.

* Interaction with users
I believe it's important to give more openness to users.

Starting with a button to allow reporting a bug from SciLAB itself and send an evaluation about usability.
Maybe even the documentation should be open for users to re-write

Each embedded help page has a "Report a bug" link available at its top, pointing to the Bugzilla online bug tracker. The only issue with this link is that it appears also for pages of external modules, whose bugs trackers are not on bugzilla.
The "uman" module proposes other facilities around the documentation, bug reporting, archives of mailing lists, etc.
The online help pages allow any logged visitor to make some online comments about the page, in his/her chosen language. This service has been designed as for the PHP documentation. It is poorly used for Scilab pages, but nothing prevents using it more intensively.
Any user knowing well Scilab features can already contribute to improve help pages, through GIT and the Scilab codereview: https://codereview.scilab.org/
If not already done, you can create your own Scilab account and logging on help pages, the wiki, bugzilla, codeReview, etc.

* % keyword as comment:
For better compatibility with Octave and MatLAB.
Just let me know why Scilab should be Matlab compatible. Matlabers have already Octave, that clones Matlab, and that have a rather official policy to be such a clone. And now it has a nice IDE!

So, i would be really interested knowing the interest to build and use the twin of a clone, whereas there are so many original things to do and build, without being so servile.
Then, why not joining more simply the Octave community?
When time to time newbies ask on Scilab mailing list "why using Scilab rather than Matlab", i feel that answers are most often very rare and poor. So, the reasons making Matlab lobbyists so shy to answer to this kind of questions is still really a mystery to me. But i am still curious ! :))

* Colors and arrays with names instead of numbers
.../...

I am not sure that i have caught what you meant. But please have a look to the rather straightforward following:

--> m = rand(4,3)

 m  =
   0.3616361   0.3321719   0.2693125
   0.2922267   0.5935095   0.6325745
   0.5664249   0.5015342   0.4051954
   0.4826472   0.4368588   0.9184708

--> m(m<0.2 | m>0.5) = %nan
 m  =
   0.3616361   0.3321719   0.2693125
   0.2922267   Nan         Nan
   Nan         Nan         0.4051954
   0.4826472   0.4368588   Nan

.../...

* Pool of formulas

.../...
Why not let SciLAB run ODF and MathML files and convert them to functions automatically?

Something like

exec “formula.odf”

exec “formula.mml”

In the case of MathML, because it is an XML format, SciLAB itself already has the infrastructure to load and convert to a macro.

AFAIU, definitely not. Your formulae hold some formal expressions, not numerical ones/codes.
Scilab is made for Numerical computing, not for formal computing like Maxima.

HTH

Amanda Osvaldo Amanda Osvaldo

Re: Q/A about features

Hello Samuel, it's good to see you have appreciated the suggestions.

I will put the suggestions in the wiki, but before I want to discuss the ideas here to enrich and mature.

I have not answered just below your words because my email client is not working well. :-P

* Salvar o ambiente

(Save the environment)

Yes, in the client I can do it.
But how to do in the CLI in text mode?
It's to automate many operations and to expand the work in text mode.

* Interaction with users

Yes, including I have reported issues in bugzilla.
But I don't know if a user takes more than 2 minutes to be able to report something, I believe he can desist.

* % keyword as comment:

The need it's simple.
Not always a software can do everything.

So to improve the job sometimes it needs to switch to a software to other in differents steps of the job.

Think about the differences in modules, hardware consumption, and cost.

In common they always will have the same scripts. So better compatibility make this exchange smoother.

For example:
I can convert images to HDF5 with Octave.
Run a personalized module in SciLAB
Make the heavy job in a cluster with MatLAB.
And Finish in SciLAB with the personalized module.

And no always what macro will run in each software it's clear. So it's necessary that the 3 share the same scripts.

* Colors and arrays with names instead of numbers

Is about to reduce the number of steps and gain productivity. Including for more complex selections.

Using the %nan i need:
1. to write the selection operation
2. make a array copy
3. put %nan in the selection
4. display the array
5. restore the original array

It's 5 steps. :-O
If the selection it's always the same so why do not reduce the visualization to a only single step ?

Repeat this 100 times on the same day it's a nightmare.

And more, the idea to put colors and words can be used to introduce sense in the numbers.
A matrix may have not only one word, but many.

For example: Normal, Caution, Danger, Error.
The colors can have the same meaning.

I don't know If I'm being clear

* Pool of formulas

It's a dilemma.

It I have a good engineering team but they can not or do not know how to make a good SciLAB implementation, I will need another good team for the implementation.
And more, when the engineering team finished the work, they need to wait for the implementation team start and finish the implementation.

It without say about the documentation.

Why I need two teams to do the job if I can do all with one team and in less time?

It's a dilemma of how to reduce the financial cost for projects.
And MathML it's a answer. :-D

-- Amanda Osvaldo

On Thu, 2017-02-23 at 00:03 +0100, Samuel Gougeon wrote:
[...]

Hi Amanda,

Le 23/02/2017 à 12:59, Amanda Osvaldo a écrit :
.../...
(Save the environment)

Yes, in the client I can do it.
But how to do in the CLI in text mode?
It's to automate many operations and to expand the work in text mode.

You shall use:

save mySessionFile
load mySessionFile

* Interaction with users

Yes, including I have reported issues in bugzilla.
But I don't know if a user takes more than 2 minutes to be able to report something, I believe he can desist.

The application has no function to guess or read users minds and post a report accordingly.
It has not yet any embedded A.I. to do so.

* % keyword as comment:

The need it's simple.

Simplicity is not necessarily relevance nor justification.

Not always a software can do everything.

O wise words :)

So to improve the job sometimes it needs to switch to a software to other in differents steps of the job.

Think about the differences in modules, hardware consumption, and cost.

In common they always will have the same scripts.

Obviously not. Other language, other scripts.

So better compatibility make this exchange smoother.

For example:
I can convert images to HDF5 with Octave.
Run a personalized module in SciLAB
Make the heavy job in a cluster with MatLAB.
And Finish in SciLAB with the personalized module.

But just, Matlab and Scilab are not compatible. Adding % comments would not make then compatible.
It is not a matter of more or less compatibility.

And no always what macro will run in each software it's clear. So it's necessary that the 3 share the same scripts.

So, you wish to build a kind of computing esperanto.
Could you please give us a pointer to your wish certainly posted on Octave mailing list or bug tracker to support "//" as comment as well? Look at this Octave session:
>> // a comment
parse error:
  syntax error
>>> // a comment
    ^
What a shame! And a potential loose of manpower! Don't you think?
And try with "#" that is another symbol used for comments in other widespread languages.
The same! So bad is the world.

* Colors and arrays with names instead of numbers

Is about to reduce the number of steps and gain productivity. Including for more complex selections.

Using the %nan i need:
1. to write the selection operation
2. make a array copy
3. put %nan in the selection
4. display the array
5. restore the original array

It's 5 steps. :-O
If the selection it's always the same so why do not reduce the visualization to a only single step ?

Repeat this 100 times on the same day it's a nightmare.

And more, the idea to put colors and words can be used to introduce sense in the numbers.
A matrix may have not only one word, but many.

For example: Normal, Caution, Danger, Error.
The colors can have the same meaning.

I don't know If I'm being clear

It was not very clear the first time i read (and reread) it, but now it's ok (likely). In:

--> consoleSetProfile(“my-color-profile”);

--> disp(data)
1. 2. 20.
1. 2. 17.
7. 6.
18.

the most important is consoleSetProfile(“my-color-profile”); where the prerequisite is to have set your specifications (i guess).

Excepted for the colors, you can do this in Scilab by defining your own Disp() that will preprocess your input data before calling disp() or mprintf() to actually display them.

About colors in the console, your skills and time are certainly welcome to process this report:
http://bugzilla.scilab.org/10142

* Pool of formulas

It's a dilemma.

It I have a good engineering team but they can not or do not know how to make a good SciLAB implementation, I will need another good team for the implementation.

Yah, in life, some things may be modular. In computing sciences too.

And more, when the engineering team finished the work, they need to wait for the implementation team start and finish the implementation.

It without say about the documentation.

Why I need two teams to do the job if I can do all with one team and in less time?

Yes, why do we need two teams to do two jobs of complexities 1 & 1, while we would need one single team twice bigger to do a single job of complexity exp(1+1) in exp(1+1)^2 /(1+1) more time?
(i have no pointer to give about this patatheory, but i think it could be relevant to answer to your need.
BTW, it is an open and free one with no copyright, to relieve your budget).

It's a dilemma of how to reduce the financial cost for projects.

Not really. Just think about manpower sinkholes.

And MathML it's a answer. :-D
Could you give more details? I do not see how it could be so. AFAIK, this language does not include any formal interpreter nor formal to numerical converter. Does it?

Amanda Osvaldo Amanda Osvaldo

Re: Q/A about features

Hi Samuel.

(Save the environment)

Thanks Very Much. :-D

* Interaction with users

No, much more simple XD

It is possible to put a form for the user to send some evaluation.

For example, we could put a form on the help menu asking what it considers to be a priority in the next updates.

Something like this image:

* % keyword as comment:

It's not for a perfect match, it's just to keep more simple the process. :-O

* Colors and arrays with names instead of numbers

Your interpretation is correct.
I think in a prepocess for disp because it can work in CLI text.

The link you have will help me much with it. :-D

* Pool of formulas

Not all formulas are easy, exists formulas with more than 2 pages that has been written by many persons.
And when the update is ready, it is necessary to compare with the previous version and manually write the update or even the entire macro.

Teams can be made from people from social and biological sciences that don't know to implement.
Or even the team may not have access to additional macros to test the formula for security and intellectual property reasons.

In both cases, automate the running and test process is necessary to reduce the human work.

MathML is a XML stantard.
You can write in Libre Office Math (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjpe7a52s18) and the SciLAB's XML macro can convert the XML to code and execute then with execstr.

-- Amanda

On Thu, 2017-02-23 at 18:29 +0100, Samuel Gougeon wrote:
Hi Amanda,

Le 23/02/2017 à 12:59, Amanda Osvaldo a écrit :
.../...
(Save the environment)

Yes, in the client I can do it.
But how to do in the CLI in text mode?
It's to automate many operations and to expand the work in text mode.

You shall use:

save mySessionFile
load mySessionFile

* Interaction with users

Yes, including I have reported issues in bugzilla.
But I don't know if a user takes more than 2 minutes to be able to report something, I believe he can desist.

The application has no function to guess or read users minds and post a report accordingly.
It has not yet any embedded A.I. to do so.

* % keyword as comment:

The need it's simple.

Simplicity is not necessarily relevance nor justification.

Not always a software can do everything.

O wise words :)

So to improve the job sometimes it needs to switch to a software to other in differents steps of the job.

Think about the differences in modules, hardware consumption, and cost.

In common they always will have the same scripts.

Obviously not. Other language, other scripts.

So better compatibility make this exchange smoother.

For example:
I can convert images to HDF5 with Octave.
Run a personalized module in SciLAB
Make the heavy job in a cluster with MatLAB.
And Finish in SciLAB with the personalized module.

But just, Matlab and Scilab are not compatible. Adding % comments would not make then compatible.
It is not a matter of more or less compatibility.

And no always what macro will run in each software it's clear. So it's necessary that the 3 share the same scripts.

So, you wish to build a kind of computing esperanto.
Could you please give us a pointer to your wish certainly posted on Octave mailing list or bug tracker to support "//" as comment as well? Look at this Octave session:
>> // a comment
parse error:
  syntax error
    ^

Le 23/02/2017 à 20:20, Amanda Osvaldo a écrit :
* Interaction with users

No, much more simple XD

It is possible to put a form for the user to send some evaluation.

For example, we could put a form on the help menu asking what it considers to be a priority in the next updates.

Something like this image:

Technically, Bugzilla is ready and could already allow to vote for any bug fix or wish implementation.
But this feature is currently disabled.

* % keyword as comment:
It's not for a perfect match, it's just to keep more simple the process.

Improving the m2sci converter is a matter for the sub-community of former matlabers.
There is no reason to spend some time to change the language only for a part of the users,
and sometimes for worse or bad features.

* Pool of formulas
Not all formulas are easy, exists formulas with more than 2 pages that has been written by many persons.
And when the update is ready, it is necessary to compare with the previous version and manually write the update or even the entire macro.

Teams can be made from people from social and biological sciences that don't know to implement.
Or even the team may not have access to additional macros to test the formula for security and intellectual property reasons.

In both cases, automate the running and test process is necessary to reduce the human work.

MathML is a XML stantard.
You can write in Libre Office Math (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjpe7a52s18)
and the SciLAB's XML macro can convert the XML to code

Again, definitely not. It aims only to parse XML to build a DOM and things like this.
In no way it is built to interpret a literal formula and convert it into some executable code.
You may also have a look at prettyprint(). It works only one way (the easiest one),
has no reciprocal, and deals only with a limited subset of regular data types
(not functions or formulae).

Filter out fake ATOMS modules and forges

Le 22/02/2017 à 21:50, Amanda Osvaldo a écrit :

* File old and blank forges:

Would not it be better to file the Atoms that do not work or are simply blank?

It's frustrating ... and a waste of time ... finding a module that is just what I need and seeing that it has nothing. :P

https://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/python/source/help/

Definitely.
uman somewhat does it: http://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/uman
It was planned that ATOMS modules in the Tests category should not appear in the list.
But in the Scilab 6 ATOMS client, they still appear.
IMO, for ATOMS's manager, a configuration option shall be added to not show Test modules,
and be set to "on" by default (cancel Tests). But it must remain possible to display them,
in order to actually make tests ;)

Otherwise, authors should be careful about their own modules, their categories, their update or deprecation, and not creating duplicates instead of creating new versions.

SG