Scilab 6.1.0 is available!

Dear Scilab-ers,

A brand new Scilab 6.1.0 is released today!

This version includes further improvement atop Scilab 6.0 for better stability and increased algorithm performance. It also includes a reworked display for more compact and meaningful value printing; web tools for HTTP, JSON support; better debug support and various algorithm rewrite/extension.

This first iteration of the 6.1 branch fixes up to 245 bugs and implements missing features from the 6.0.2 version. We would like to give a special thanks to Samuel and Stephane who have been very active this year.

If you find any critical issue or instability that might need a 6.1.x release please alert us. If you are a toolbox maintainer, please rebuild your code, upgrade it when needed and publish it to atoms.scilab.org.

For the complete list of changes and bugs fixed, please take a look at the CHANGES  file.

--

Clément on behalf of the Scilab team

Re: [Scilab-users] Scilab 6.1.0 is available!

Hello Heinz,

The macOS version is still in progress, we don't have any access to a macOS machine anymore and there are hard issues reported by Stephane (a hard crash in GUI mode, the required JVM installation, a non-signed packaging, at least...). So yes, we rely on the community (and especially Stephane) to ship a macOS binary; if you are willing to help, please contact him and keep in mind that it is a very complex task.

Note: this was also the case for Scilab 6.0.0 to 6.0.2.

SylvainCorlay SylvainCorlay

Re: Scilab 6.1.0 is available!

Congratulations on the release.

I am the author of the conda package for scilab, and unfortunately, it does not seem that 6.1.0 can be successfully packaged for conda-forge with the new requirement for the <filesystem> C++17 header, which requires GCC 8.

Conda-forge is still based on GCC 7, which is fairly recent, with C++17 enabled by default. Would you consider not using the <filesystem> from the C++17 standard so that Scilab can be made available to a wider audience?

Another blocker to the packaging of Scilab is the outdated version of java that is required by the GUI. Is there any plan to support a more recent version of OpenJDK?

Best,

Sylvain Corlay

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 2:10 PM Clément David <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hello Sylvain,

First, thank you for your work on the conda packaging. The c++17 requirements is only needed for a single file that is used to implement fullpath() (named fullpath.cpp). The used API is reduced to std::filesystem::weakly_canonical and std::filesystem::absolute [1]. I guess using a light patch might relax the use of the filesystem header, for example, something like [2].

About the Java8 requirement, I guess you could ./configure --without-xcos as a first approach. I started porting the Java code out of javax.xml.bind [3] but that's very repetitive and error prone work.

[1]: https://codereview.scilab.org/#/c/21041/25/scilab/modules/fileio/src/cpp/fullpath.cpp
[2]: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45867379/why-does-gcc-not-seem-to-have-the-filesystem-standard-library
[3]: https://codereview.scilab.org/#/c/20630/

Hi Clément,

Regarding the Java, we already skip xcos in the build but we were really hoping that we could start including it with this version.

For the filesystem thingy, I will be patching the source as part of the conda recipe to use <experimental/filesystem> instead and see how it goes - although it would be really nice if we could support more compilers out of the box.

Sylvain

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 2:25 PM Clément David <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Sylvain,

First, thank you for your work on the conda packaging. The c++17 requirements is only needed for a single file that is used to implement fullpath() (named fullpath.cpp). The used API is reduced to std::filesystem::weakly_canonical and std::filesystem::absolute [1]. I guess using a light patch might relax the use of the filesystem header, for example, something like [2].

About the Java8 requirement, I guess you could ./configure --without-xcos as a first approach. I started porting the Java code out of javax.xml.bind [3] but that's very repetitive and error prone work.

[1]: https://codereview.scilab.org/#/c/21041/25/scilab/modules/fileio/src/cpp/fullpath.cpp
[2]: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45867379/why-does-gcc-not-seem-to-have-the-filesystem-standard-library
[3]: https://codereview.scilab.org/#/c/20630/

Patching the source to use <experimental/filesystem> resolves that particular issue with C++17 in GCC7.

However, the Scilab build now fails with many occurrences of the error:

error: template with C linkage

- The scilab recipe update including the patches for <filesystem> is available here: https://github.com/conda-forge/scilab-feedstock/pull/11

Officially supporting older versions of GCC than GCC 8 (which is from May 2018) would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 2:28 PM Sylvain Corlay <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Clément,

Regarding the Java, we already skip xcos in the build but we were really hoping that we could start including it with this version.

For the filesystem thingy, I will be patching the source as part of the conda recipe to use <experimental/filesystem> instead and see how it goes - although it would be really nice if we could support more compilers out of the box.

Sylvain

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 2:25 PM Clément David <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Sylvain,

First, thank you for your work on the conda packaging. The c++17 requirements is only needed for a single file that is used to implement fullpath() (named fullpath.cpp). The used API is reduced to std::filesystem::weakly_canonical and std::filesystem::absolute [1]. I guess using a light patch might relax the use of the filesystem header, for example, something like [2].

About the Java8 requirement, I guess you could ./configure --without-xcos as a first approach. I started porting the Java code out of javax.xml.bind [3] but that's very repetitive and error prone work.

[1]: https://codereview.scilab.org/#/c/21041/25/scilab/modules/fileio/src/cpp/fullpath.cpp
[2]: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45867379/why-does-gcc-not-seem-to-have-the-filesystem-standard-library
[3]: https://codereview.scilab.org/#/c/20630/

Is there any update on the support of GCC 7 for Scilab 6.1?

This is a major blocker for us to package it for the conda ecosystem.

Best,

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 4:12 PM Sylvain Corlay <[hidden email]> wrote:
Patching the source to use <experimental/filesystem> resolves that particular issue with C++17 in GCC7.

However, the Scilab build now fails with many occurrences of the error:

error: template with C linkage

- The scilab recipe update including the patches for <filesystem> is available here: https://github.com/conda-forge/scilab-feedstock/pull/11

Officially supporting older versions of GCC than GCC 8 (which is from May 2018) would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 2:28 PM Sylvain Corlay <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Clément,

Regarding the Java, we already skip xcos in the build but we were really hoping that we could start including it with this version.

For the filesystem thingy, I will be patching the source as part of the conda recipe to use <experimental/filesystem> instead and see how it goes - although it would be really nice if we could support more compilers out of the box.

Sylvain

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 2:25 PM Clément David <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Sylvain,

First, thank you for your work on the conda packaging. The c++17 requirements is only needed for a single file that is used to implement fullpath() (named fullpath.cpp). The used API is reduced to std::filesystem::weakly_canonical and std::filesystem::absolute [1]. I guess using a light patch might relax the use of the filesystem header, for example, something like [2].

About the Java8 requirement, I guess you could ./configure --without-xcos as a first approach. I started porting the Java code out of javax.xml.bind [3] but that's very repetitive and error prone work.

[1]: https://codereview.scilab.org/#/c/21041/25/scilab/modules/fileio/src/cpp/fullpath.cpp
[2]: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45867379/why-does-gcc-not-seem-to-have-the-filesystem-standard-library
[3]: https://codereview.scilab.org/#/c/20630/

I took a look at the trace, it looks like g++ 7 is confused with the xml.h include ; as libxml2 is already protected with ifdef __cplusplus extern "C" you might just move the #include <xml.h> from XMLDocument.hxx:28 out of the extern "C".

Sorry about that but gcc-7 is not our target for official releases, Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora all ship gcc-8 with a more stable c++17 support. I could only help to debug issues on the conda side.

Indeed, this is what I ended up doing - and there are a couple of instances of the same error in various places.

This appears to be a legitimate error C++ even though this passes with GCC 8.

On the choice of dropping GCC<8, this seems a bit early, even if the latest flavors of Ubuntu, or Debian Sid already have GCC8 available. GCC6 and GCC7 are recent compilers and people target older distributions in their builds.

Best,

Sylvain Corlay