After some private discussion by direct mail, Samuel pointed that I have to open the discussion to
ask for your needs / advises for the release frequency ; thanks Samuel for that. Please find also
attached a Scilab version timeline for reference.
To clarify the discussion, I will use the convention major.minor.revision (6.0.0 == 6 major, 0
minor, 0 revision) where :
* a revision only contains bug fixes and should be script compatible but might deprecate functions
* a minor version remove deprecated functions
* a major version is a Scilab partial rewrite
IMHO an expected (with no strict application) period should be :
* 6-9 months “revision” cycle
* 18-24 months “minor” cycle (2 to 3 revisions)
* much more for a “major”
Do you have an opinion on the Scilab release period ? Which period will simplify your developments ?