[Scilab-users] Accessing sound device using java api from scilab

amonmayr amonmayr

[Scilab-users] Accessing sound device using java api from scilab

Hi all,

For a small demo project, I am trying to show both the temporal signal and the spectrum of the sound recorded by the microphone of my laptop.
I managed to hack together a proof of principle that relies on the linux command "arecord" and uses "unix_g" scilab function.
I would be happy to go for a more portable way of recording the sound from scilab.
I know there is a java api for sound: As anyone here ever worked with it or tried to call it from scilab?

I've never tried to call a java api from within scilab.
If you have any ressource and/or tutorial on the sound java api or on calling a java api from scilab, it would be of great help.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Accessing sound device using java api from scilab

Hello Antoine,

Le 30/10/2019 à 10:14, Antoine Monmayrant a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> For a small demo project, I am trying to show both the temporal signal and the spectrum of the sound recorded by the microphone of my laptop.
> I managed to hack together a proof of principle that relies on the linux command "arecord" and uses "unix_g" scilab function.
> I would be happy to go for a more portable way of recording the sound from scilab.
> I know there is a java api for sound: As anyone here ever worked with it or tried to call it from scilab?
>
> I've never tried to call a java api from within scilab.
> If you have any ressource and/or tutorial on the sound java api or on calling a java api from scilab, it would be of great help.

FYI : i am currently supervising a students project about this, for the
whole academic year.
I submitted this project planning to enhance and extend Scilab sound
capabilities, and it
was actually assigned to a group of 5 students in School of engineering.

Implementing a sound recorder through the standard microphone is one of
the addressed topics.
It is set as a priority for the mid-term evaluation of the project, in
january.
The priority is also to get a fully portable solution, and without C/C++
code and compilation
using any Scilab API, that would require to be reviewed and recompiled
for each new Scilab 6.x release.
We know how this makes external modules quickly obsolete and unusable.
On this aspect, porting the portaudio and sndfile modules to Scilab 6
has been considered.
But after being assessed, it looks too hard to do. BTW, it would not
remedy to the need to
recompile. So, it is not a priority of the project.

Using Java in open source projects requires more care today than one
year ago, due to
major changes in Oracle Licenses policy since early 2019. But java is
still a first way to be
explored, indeed.
Scilab help pages of JIMS have nice examples to start using the JVM from
Scilab:
https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.0.2/en_US/section_158670c44b251b5b028c4e3178ff4ed0.html

Chin Luh Tan Chin Luh Tan

Re: Accessing sound device using java api from scilab

Hi  Samuel,

I agreed that porting the portaudio might not be priority as from what i understand,  it is quite hard to make it non blocking recording.

Infact we just made a module base on java for non blocking recording,  and it was planned to released in a week or 2.

There are more room to improve,  perhap your team could use it as fundamental and improved it to a better module?

Thanks

Regards.
Chin Luh

---- On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 20:18:52 +0800 [hidden email] wrote ----

Hello Antoine,

Le 30/10/2019 à 10:14, Antoine Monmayrant a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> For a small demo project, I am trying to show both the temporal signal and the spectrum of the sound recorded by the microphone of my laptop.
> I managed to hack together a proof of principle that relies on the linux command "arecord" and uses "unix_g" scilab function.
> I would be happy to go for a more portable way of recording the sound from scilab.
> I know there is a java api for sound: As anyone here ever worked with it or tried to call it from scilab?
>
> I've never tried to call a java api from within scilab.
> If you have any ressource and/or tutorial on the sound java api or on calling a java api from scilab, it would be of great help.

FYI : i am currently supervising a students project about this, for the
whole academic year.
I submitted this project planning to enhance and extend Scilab sound
capabilities, and it
was actually assigned to a group of 5 students in School of engineering.

Implementing a sound recorder through the standard microphone is one of
the addressed topics.
It is set as a priority for the mid-term evaluation of the project, in
january.
The priority is also to get a fully portable solution, and without C/C++
code and compilation
using any Scilab API, that would require to be reviewed and recompiled
for each new Scilab 6.x release.
We know how this makes external modules quickly obsolete and unusable.
On this aspect, porting the portaudio and sndfile modules to Scilab 6
has been considered.
But after being assessed, it looks too hard to do. BTW, it would not
remedy to the need to
recompile. So, it is not a priority of the project.

Using Java in open source projects requires more care today than one
year ago, due to
major changes in Oracle Licenses policy since early 2019. But java is
still a first way to be
explored, indeed.
Scilab help pages of JIMS have nice examples to start using the JVM from
Scilab:
https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.0.2/en_US/section_158670c44b251b5b028c4e3178ff4ed0.html

amonmayr amonmayr

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? Accessing sound device using java api from scilab

Hello Samuel,

I'll be really happy if you can keep me up to date with the evolution of this project.
If you want someone to beta-test the macros or there documentation, I'll be happy to assist.

Cheers,

Antoine

Le Mercredi, Octobre 30, 2019 13:18 CET, Samuel Gougeon <[hidden email]> a écrit:

> Hello Antoine,
>
> Le 30/10/2019 à 10:14, Antoine Monmayrant a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> > For a small demo project, I am trying to show both the temporal signal and the spectrum of the sound recorded by the microphone of my laptop.
> > I managed to hack together a proof of principle that relies on the linux command "arecord" and uses "unix_g" scilab function.
> > I would be happy to go for a more portable way of recording the sound from scilab.
> > I know there is a java api for sound: As anyone here ever worked with it or tried to call it from scilab?
> >
> > I've never tried to call a java api from within scilab.
> > If you have any ressource and/or tutorial on the sound java api or on calling a java api from scilab, it would be of great help.
>

> FYI : i am currently supervising a students project about this, for the
> whole academic year.
> I submitted this project planning to enhance and extend Scilab sound
> capabilities, and it
> was actually assigned to a group of 5 students in School of engineering.
>
> Implementing a sound recorder through the standard microphone is one of
> the addressed topics.
> It is set as a priority for the mid-term evaluation of the project, in
> january.
> The priority is also to get a fully portable solution, and without C/C++
> code and compilation
> using any Scilab API, that would require to be reviewed and recompiled
> for each new Scilab 6.x release.
> We know how this makes external modules quickly obsolete and unusable.
> On this aspect, porting the portaudio and sndfile modules to Scilab 6
> has been considered.
> But after being assessed, it looks too hard to do. BTW, it would not
> remedy to the need to
> recompile. So, it is not a priority of the project.
>
> Using Java in open source projects requires more care today than one
> year ago, due to
> major changes in Oracle Licenses policy since early 2019. But java is
> still a first way to be
> explored, indeed.
> Scilab help pages of JIMS have nice examples to start using the JVM from
> Scilab:
> https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.0.2/en_US/section_158670c44b251b5b028c4e3178ff4ed0.html
>
> Regards
> Samuel

Claus Futtrup Claus Futtrup

Re: Accessing sound device using java api from scilab

Hi Samuel

 >FYI : i am currently supervising a students project about this

I  work in an industry with audio, and I'm very interested in this.
Please let us know how it ends. If there's any output midways, please
post links. :-)

Best regards,
Claus

On 30.10.2019 13:18, Samuel Gougeon wrote:

> Hello Antoine,
>
> Le 30/10/2019 à 10:14, Antoine Monmayrant a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> For a small demo project, I am trying to show both the temporal
>> signal and the spectrum of the sound recorded by the microphone of my
>> laptop.
>> I managed to hack together a proof of principle that relies on the
>> linux command "arecord" and uses "unix_g" scilab function.
>> I would be happy to go for a more portable way of recording the sound
>> from scilab.
>> I know there is a java api for sound: As anyone here ever worked with
>> it or tried to call it from scilab?
>>
>> I've never tried to call a java api from within scilab.
>> If you have any ressource and/or tutorial on the sound java api or on
>> calling a java api from scilab, it would be of great help.
>

> FYI : i am currently supervising a students project about this, for
> the whole academic year.
> I submitted this project planning to enhance and extend Scilab sound
> capabilities, and it
> was actually assigned to a group of 5 students in School of engineering.
>
> Implementing a sound recorder through the standard microphone is one
> of the addressed topics.
> It is set as a priority for the mid-term evaluation of the project, in
> january.
> The priority is also to get a fully portable solution, and without
> C/C++ code and compilation
> using any Scilab API, that would require to be reviewed and recompiled
> for each new Scilab 6.x release.
> We know how this makes external modules quickly obsolete and unusable.
> On this aspect, porting the portaudio and sndfile modules to Scilab 6
> has been considered.
> But after being assessed, it looks too hard to do. BTW, it would not
> remedy to the need to
> recompile. So, it is not a priority of the project.
>
> Using Java in open source projects requires more care today than one
> year ago, due to
> major changes in Oracle Licenses policy since early 2019. But java is
> still a first way to be
> explored, indeed.
> Scilab help pages of JIMS have nice examples to start using the JVM
> from Scilab:
> https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.0.2/en_US/section_158670c44b251b5b028c4e3178ff4ed0.html
>

> Regards
> Samuel

fmiyara fmiyara

Re: Accessing sound device using java api from scilab

Samuel,

I too would appreciate direct recording from Scilab and also offer myself to test it!

I currently record using Audacity, perhaps some code from Audacity could be reused (it is GPL)

Regards,

Federico Miyara

Libre de virus. www.avast.com

Chin Luh Tan Chin Luh Tan

Re: Accessing sound device using java api from scilab

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce the release of Scilab Audio module for non blocking recording.

atomsInstall("bytecode_audio")

Hi Samuel,

the source code hosted in github as stated in the atoms page, feel free to have a look and perhaps we could work together with your group to make this module even more complete.

Thanks.

Regards,
CL

---- On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 17:14:37 +0800 Antoine Monmayrant <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Antoine Monmayrant Antoine Monmayrant

Re: Accessing sound device using java api from scilab

Hello,

I just installed it under 6.0.2.
It seems that the help is not built properly ( i.e. I cannot find anything using "help audio_getLine" or other functions).

Antoine

Le 06/11/2019 à 02:54, Chin Luh Tan a écrit :
[...]

Hello again,

For a more positive feedback, I just parsed some of the xml help files to run some examples and they seem to work.
I'll try to wrap my spectrum analyser demo around this.

Thanks a lot.

[...]

Chin Luh Tan Chin Luh Tan

Re: Accessing sound device using java api from scilab

In some cases, close help page and launch it again would help

thanks.

CL

---- On Wed, 06 Nov 2019 16:08:46 +0800 Antoine Monmayrant <[hidden email]> wrote ----