[Scilab-users] An error occurred during export: Unable to create export file, not enough memory. Decreasing the number of elements or the size of the figure should fix this error

Heinz Nabielek-3 Heinz Nabielek-3

[Scilab-users] An error occurred during export: Unable to create export file, not enough memory. Decreasing the number of elements or the size of the figure should fix this error

Scilab created graphs can be quickly imported into documents via the Clipboard, but their quality is poor with jagged lines and wobbly fonts.

High quality graphs can be created when exporting to pdf. However, with my 155,000 data points, I end up with an error message:

"An error occurred during export: Unable to create export file, not enough memory. Decreasing the number of elements or the size of the figure should fix this error".

Any easy way to get around short of returning to the Clipboard?
Heinz

Re: An error occurred during export: Unable to create export file, not enough memory. Decreasing the number of elements or the size of the figure should fix this error

Le 10/04/2019 à 20:07, Heinz Nabielek a écrit :
> Scilab created graphs can be quickly imported into documents via the Clipboard, but their quality is poor with jagged lines and wobbly fonts.
>
> High quality graphs can be created when exporting to pdf. However, with my 155,000 data points, I end up with an error message:
>
> "An error occurred during export: Unable to create export file, not enough memory. Decreasing the number of elements or the size of the figure should fix this error".
>
> Any easy way to get around short of returning to the Clipboard?

You may try increasing the Java heap memory used for graphics:
preferences() => General: Java Heap Memory
Increase the number of dedicated MBytes, quit and restart Scilab

Re: An error occurred during export: Unable to create export file, not enough memory. Decreasing the number of elements or the size of the figure should fix this error

> Le 10 avr. 2019 à 20:07, Heinz Nabielek <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Scilab created graphs can be quickly imported into documents via the Clipboard, but their quality is poor with jagged lines and wobbly fonts.
>
> High quality graphs can be created when exporting to pdf. However, with my 155,000 data points, I end up with an error message:
>
> "An error occurred during export: Unable to create export file, not enough memory. Decreasing the number of elements or the size of the figure should fix this error".
>
> Any easy way to get around short of returning to the Clipboard?

Make it full screen !

On 10.04.2019, at 20:21, Stéphane Mottelet <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Le 10 avr. 2019 à 20:07, Heinz Nabielek <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Scilab created graphs can be quickly imported into documents via the Clipboard, but their quality is poor with jagged lines and wobbly fonts.
>>
>> High quality graphs can be created when exporting to pdf. However, with my 155,000 data points, I end up with an error message:
>>
>> "An error occurred during export: Unable to create export file, not enough memory. Decreasing the number of elements or the size of the figure should fix this error".
>>
>> Any easy way to get around short of returning to the Clipboard?
>
> Make it full screen !

Great. Thanks a lot - I should have thought of it myself.

I can easily make the title fonts larger, but how do I make legend and axes texts and inscriptions proportionally larger-- I had never managed that "children" thing of our graphic objects...

Heinz

On 10.04.2019, at 21:17, Heinz Nabielek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10.04.2019, at 20:21, Stéphane Mottelet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Le 10 avr. 2019 à 20:07, Heinz Nabielek <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>
>>> Scilab created graphs can be quickly imported into documents via the Clipboard, but their quality is poor with jagged lines and wobbly fonts.
>>>
>>> High quality graphs can be created when exporting to pdf. However, with my 155,000 data points, I end up with an error message:
>>>
>>> "An error occurred during export: Unable to create export file, not enough memory. Decreasing the number of elements or the size of the figure should fix this error".
>>>
>>> Any easy way to get around short of returning to the Clipboard?
>>
>> Make it full screen !
>

> Great. Thanks a lot - I should have thought of it myself.
>
> I can easily make the title fonts larger, but how do I make legend and axes texts and inscriptions proportionally larger-- I had never managed that "children" thing of our graphic objects...

I should add: at the moment, I am working on a polarplot...

fmiyara fmiyara

Re: An error occurred during export: Unable to create export file, not enough memory. Decreasing the number of elements or the size of the figure should fix this error

Heinz,

The first thing I would consider is if really it is relavant to plot 155 000 data points, taking into account that neither the screen nor any printing system can present such a resolution.

If you have 155 000 points they are
most likely contaminated with noise. You could approximate them with a lsq_splin using few break points, probably around 20, and then use this spline to obtain about 1000 points or less.

If you need, instead, to show in your plot the noise you can do this: divide the domain of the function in a number of bins of a width more or less equivalent to the pixel or printed dot (there will be in general no more than about 1000 bins), then find the min and max within each bin and retain them, then plot again.

Finally, you can export using svg and as was suggested some time ago (sorry I don't recall by whom), open it in Inkscape, a
free open source software (there is also a portable version, so no need to install it). Then export it as wmf (Windows metafile). Then you can paste in word processors and you retain the full quality, the fonts are fonts, not just a bundle of random pixels. It tried this and works very well.

You can also edit the image within the word processor, if a final touch up is convenient (change font tyope or size, line color, etc.).

Regards,

Federico Miyara

On 10/04/2019 15:07, Heinz Nabielek wrote:
Scilab created graphs can be quickly imported into documents via the Clipboard, but their quality is poor with jagged lines and wobbly fonts.

High quality graphs can be created when exporting to pdf. However, with my 155,000 data points, I end up with an error message:

"An error occurred during export: Unable to create export file, not enough memory. Decreasing the number of elements or the size of the figure should fix this error".

Any easy way to get around short of returning to the Clipboard?
Heinz

Libre de virus. www.avast.com

Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan

Re: {EXT} An error occurred during export: Unable to create export file, not enough memory. Decreasing the number of elements or the size of the figure should fix this error

Hello Heinz,

I would personally export a PNG.
The size of the picture (in pixels) is proportional to the size on screen
so you can increase or decrease the window to set the final resolution.

You can precisely set the resolution with:

figure = gcf();

figure.axes_size = [800,600]; // or whatever

xs2png(figure, "foo.png"); // or file > export to

General