[Scilab-users] Bug?: plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04)

Antoine Monmayrant Antoine Monmayrant

[Scilab-users] Bug?: plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04)

Hi everyone,

Are you also affected by this bug? Which platform (OS) are you working on?

Cheers,

Antoine

dat_with_nans.txt (380 bytes) Download Attachment
bug_plot_nan.sce (174 bytes) Download Attachment
no_bug.png (19K) Download Attachment
bug.png (17K) Download Attachment
Antoine Monmayrant Antoine Monmayrant

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? ?==?utf-8?q? Bug?: plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04)

Update:

1) Here is a simpler minimal working example:

///////////////////////////////////////////////
x=1:100;
y=rand(x);
th=0.1;
rg=find(y<th);
ynan=y;
ynan(rg)=%nan;

scf();
plot(x,y,'k.-');
plot(x,ynan,'r.-');
///////////////////////////////////////////////

Antoine

> Hi everyone,
> Are you also affected by this bug? Which platform (OS) are you working on?
> Cheers,
> Antoine

Rafael Guerra Rafael Guerra

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? ?==?utf-8?q? Bug?: plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04)

Hi Antoine,

Rafael

-----Original Message-----
From: users [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Antoine Monmayrant
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:26 PM
To: Users mailing list for Scilab <[hidden email]>

Update:

1) Here is a simpler minimal working example:

///////////////////////////////////////////////
x=1:100;
y=rand(x);
th=0.1;
rg=find(y<th);
ynan=y;
ynan(rg)=%nan;

scf();
plot(x,y,'k.-');
plot(x,ynan,'r.-');
///////////////////////////////////////////////

Antoine

> Hi everyone,
> Are you also affected by this bug? Which platform (OS) are you working on?
> Cheers,
> Antoine

Denis Crété Denis Crété

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? ?==?utf-8?q? Bug?: plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04)

Hello Denis,

> De  CRETE Denis
> Envoyé : mercredi 17 mai 2017 14:20
> If %nan values are in the Y vector,
> plot2d behaves as if the following was performed before display:
> Y (isnan(Y))=(YM + Ym)/2

I'm not sure I understand what you're pointing out.
The following code works exactly as I expect:
----------
x = 1:5;
y=x.^2;
y(3)=%nan;
plot(x, y)
----------
i.e. the point at x=3 is simply missing, with a blank between x=2 and x=4.
Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan

-----Message d'origine-----
De : users [mailto:[hidden email]] De la part de Rafael Guerra
Envoyé : mercredi 18 octobre 2017 13:35
À : [hidden email]; Users mailing list for Scilab

Hi Antoine,

Rafael

-----Original Message-----
From: users [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Antoine Monmayrant
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:26 PM
To: Users mailing list for Scilab <[hidden email]>

Update:

1) Here is a simpler minimal working example:

///////////////////////////////////////////////
x=1:100;
y=rand(x);
th=0.1;
rg=find(y<th);
ynan=y;
ynan(rg)=%nan;

scf();
plot(x,y,'k.-');
plot(x,ynan,'r.-');
///////////////////////////////////////////////

Antoine

> Hi everyone,
> Are you also affected by this bug? Which platform (OS) are you working on?
> Cheers,
> Antoine

Denis Crété
Patrice MÉGRET Patrice MÉGRET

Re: Bug?: plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04)

In reply to this post by Antoine Monmayrant
Dear Antoine,

Correct behavior in Windows 10 and Scilab 6.0.0

Patrice

-----Message d'origine-----
De : users [mailto:[hidden email]] De la part de Antoine Monmayrant
Envoyé : mercredi 18 octobre 2017 13:23
À : [hidden email]
Objet : [Scilab-users] Bug?: plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04)

Hi everyone,

Are you also affected by this bug? Which platform (OS) are you working on?

Cheers,

Antoine
amonmayr amonmayr

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? ?==?utf-8?q? ?= )

In reply to this post by Denis Crété
Yep, you're right, it looks the same.
Did you fill a bug report?
On what machine/OS did you observe this bug?

Antoine

Le Mercredi, Octobre 18, 2017 14:23 CEST, CRETE Denis <[hidden email]> a écrit:

> This seems to be the same problem I discussed with Christophe (although he observed a correct behaviour) :
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Objet: Scilab 6's plot2d displays %nan on the horizontal line in the mid-range of vertical axis
> Hello Denis,
> > De  CRETE Denis
> > Envoyé : mercredi 17 mai 2017 14:20
> > If %nan values are in the Y vector,
> > plot2d behaves as if the following was performed before display:
> > Y (isnan(Y))=(YM + Ym)/2
> I'm not sure I understand what you're pointing out.
> The following code works exactly as I expect:
> ----------
> x = 1:5;
> y=x.^2;
> y(3)=%nan;
> plot(x, y)
> ----------
> i.e. the point at x=3 is simply missing, with a blank between x=2 and x=4.
> Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan
> -----Message d'origine-----
> De : users [mailto:[hidden email]] De la part de Rafael Guerra
> Envoyé : mercredi 18 octobre 2017 13:35
> À : [hidden email]; Users mailing list for Scilab
> Objet : Re: [Scilab-users] ?==?utf-8?q? ?==?utf-8?q? Bug?: plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04)
> Hi Antoine,
> I observe the "No bug" behavior (i.e., gaps when plotting nans) in both Scilab 5.5.2 and Scilab 6.0.0 installations on Win7 64-bit PC.
> Regards,
> Rafael
> -----Original Message-----
> From: users [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Antoine Monmayrant
> Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:26 PM
> To: Users mailing list for Scilab <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Scilab-users] ?==?utf-8?q? ?==?utf-8?q? Bug?: plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04)
> Update:
> 1) Here is a simpler minimal working example:
> ///////////////////////////////////////////////
> x=1:100;
> y=rand(x);
> th=0.1;
> rg=find(y<th);
> ynan=y;
> ynan(rg)=%nan;
> scf();
> plot(x,y,'k.-');
> plot(x,ynan,'r.-');
> ///////////////////////////////////////////////
> 2) This might be due to some graphic drivers, but I think I am up to date on that front. How can I check it's related to a graphic driver or not?
> Antoine
> Le Mercredi, Octobre 18, 2017 13:22 CEST, "Antoine Monmayrant" <[hidden email]> a écrit:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I think I stumble upon a weird bug when plotting data with nan values: instead of a gap in the plot line, I have segments that go go towards the center of my plots.
> > This bug is present on Ubuntu 17.04, but not on Ubuntu 16.04 and it affects both scilab 5.5.2 and 6.0.
> > I attached the expected plot ('no_bug.png', what I get with 16.04), the bugged one ('bug.png') and the minimum working example ('bug_plot_nan.sce') with the original dataset with nans ('dat_with_nans.txt').
> > Are you also affected by this bug? Which platform (OS) are you working on?
> > Cheers,
> > Antoine
> users mailing list
> http://lists.scilab.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> users mailing list
> http://lists.scilab.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> users mailing list
> http://lists.scilab.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Denis Crété Denis Crété

Re: Bug?: plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04)

In reply to this post by Antoine Monmayrant
Hello Antoine
I used a Lenovo T420 with Ubuntu 16.04 (I need to check when I am back on this machine, and I'll try to find what is the graphic driver), and Scilab 6.0.
With this machine, but under Windows and Scilab 5.5.2, this did not happen = it used to be correct, with open gap at the %Nan value.
I can't try this machine and SciLab 6 under Windows, as Windows is not on this machine anymore.
I also tried the following code:
// Code
X=1:5;
Y=X.^2; Y(3)=%nan;
 plot2d(X',Y')
// End of code
- with an HP Z440 + Windows 7 Pro + SciLab 6.0 : both plot and plot2d are correct
- with an HP Z420 + Windows 7 Pro + SciLab 5.5.2 : both plot and plot2d are correct
I did not fill a bug report.

I notice a different behaviour between "your bug" and "my bug": in your bug/no_bug PNGs, Nan points are plot in the center (both x-wise and y-wise) of the graph, whereas in my observation (sorry, I do not have the true result, I can produce it when I am back on the Linux machine) only the y coordinate is "fake" data in the mid-range of Y, but at the right value of X...
HTH
Denis

-----Message d'origine-----
De : users [mailto:[hidden email]] De la part de Antoine Monmayrant
Envoyé : mercredi 18 octobre 2017 16:47
À : Users mailing list for Scilab
Objet : Re: [Scilab-users] ?==?utf-8?q? ?==?utf-8?q? ?= )

Yep, you're right, it looks the same.
Did you fill a bug report?
On what machine/OS did you observe this bug?

Antoine

Le Mercredi, Octobre 18, 2017 14:23 CEST, CRETE Denis <[hidden email]> a écrit:

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------
> Objet: Scilab 6's plot2d displays %nan on the horizontal line in the
> mid-range of vertical axis
> Hello Denis,
> > De  CRETE Denis
> > Envoyé : mercredi 17 mai 2017 14:20
> > If %nan values are in the Y vector,
> > plot2d behaves as if the following was performed before display:
> > Y (isnan(Y))=(YM + Ym)/2
> I'm not sure I understand what you're pointing out.
> The following code works exactly as I expect:
> ----------
> x = 1:5;
> y=x.^2;
> y(3)=%nan;
> plot(x, y)
> ----------
> i.e. the point at x=3 is simply missing, with a blank between x=2 and x=4.
> Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan
> -----Original Message-----
> From: users [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
> Antoine Monmayrant
> Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:26 PM
> To: Users mailing list for Scilab <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Scilab-users] ?==?utf-8?q? ?==?utf-8?q? Bug?: plot with
> nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04)
> Update:
> plot(x,y,'k.-');
> plot(x,ynan,'r.-');
> ///////////////////////////////////////////////
> Antoine
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Are you also affected by this bug? Which platform (OS) are you working on?
> > Cheers,
> > Antoine
> users mailing list
> http://lists.scilab.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> users mailing list
> http://lists.scilab.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> users mailing list
> http://lists.scilab.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Denis Crété
amonmayr amonmayr

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? ?==?utf-8?q? Bug?: plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04)

In reply to this post by Antoine Monmayrant
Thank you all for your answers.
It does look like a graphic bug that is only affecting some Linux machines.
It seems graphic direver related to me.
I'll fill a bug report.

xend();
driver(previous_driver);
stat=unix("xdg-open "+fpath);
xs2png(h,TMPDIR+'/bug_plot_nan.png');
/////////////////////////////////////////////////

> Hi everyone,
> Are you also affected by this bug? Which platform (OS) are you working on?
> Cheers,
> Antoine

bug_plot_nan.png (21K) Download Attachment
nobug_plot_nan.png (23K) Download Attachment
amonmayr amonmayr

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? ?==?utf-8?q? ?= Bug?: plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04

It seems the bug report was 4 years ago: https://bugzilla.scilab.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13060
I added my test script and plots.

Antoine

Le Jeudi, Octobre 19, 2017 10:21 CEST, "Antoine Monmayrant" <[hidden email]> a écrit:

> Thank you all for your answers.
> It does look like a graphic bug that is only affecting some Linux machines.
> I refined my test script to compare the obtained plots when plotting on the screen and directly in a file ('driver').
> It seems graphic direver related to me.
> I'll fill a bug report.
> Cheers,
> driver(previous_driver);
> stat=unix("xdg-open "+fpath);
> xs2png(h,TMPDIR+'/bug_plot_nan.png');
> /////////////////////////////////////////////////
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Are you also affected by this bug? Which platform (OS) are you working on?
> > Cheers,
> > Antoine

Denis Crété Denis Crété

Re: ?= ?==?utf-8?q? Bug?: plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04

Today, I checked again with the Lenovo T420 + Ubuntu 16.04 + SciLab 6 ... and I could NOT reproduce the bug (that I did observe with the same equipment and same code 5 months ago). Most probably, an (automatic) update of Ubuntu may have fixed the problem. But I don't know the name of the file tracking the changes in the update... If anyone knows, and can give me instructions, I would be happy to do it if it helps.
Denis

-----Message d'origine-----
De : users [mailto:[hidden email]] De la part de Antoine Monmayrant
Envoyé : jeudi 19 octobre 2017 10:30
À : Users mailing list for Scilab
Objet : Re: [Scilab-users] ?==?utf-8?q? ?==?utf-8?q? ?= Bug?: plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04

I added my test script and plots.

Antoine

> Thank you all for your answers.
> It does look like a graphic bug that is only affecting some Linux machines.
> It seems graphic direver related to me.
> I'll fill a bug report.
> Cheers,
> driver(previous_driver);
> stat=unix("xdg-open "+fpath);
> xs2png(h,TMPDIR+'/bug_plot_nan.png');
> /////////////////////////////////////////////////
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Are you also affected by this bug? Which platform (OS) are you working on?
> > Cheers,
> > Antoine

Denis Crété
PabloF PabloF

Re: ?= ?==?utf-8?q? Bug?: plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04

Hi:

In my Ubuntu 17.04 machine and Scilab 6, plot is working as expected.

De: users <[hidden email]> en nombre de CRETE Denis <[hidden email]>
Enviado: jueves, 19 de octubre de 2017 11:54 a.m.
Para: Users mailing list for Scilab
Asunto: Re: [Scilab-users] ?= ?==?utf-8?q? Bug?: plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04

Denis

-----Message d'origine-----
De : users [[hidden email]] De la part de Antoine Monmayrant
Envoyé : jeudi 19 octobre 2017 10:30
À : Users mailing list for Scilab

I added my test script and plots.

Antoine

> Thank you all for your answers.
> It does look like a graphic bug that is only affecting some Linux machines.
> It seems graphic direver related to me.
> I'll fill a bug report.
> Cheers,
> driver(previous_driver);
> stat=unix("xdg-open "+fpath);
> xs2png(h,TMPDIR+'/bug_plot_nan.png');
> /////////////////////////////////////////////////

> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Are you also affected by this bug? Which platform (OS) are you working on?
> > Cheers,
> > Antoine

Richard llom Richard llom

Re: Bug? plot with nan values (Linux Ubuntu 17.04

On my Linux machine it is also working as expected.

System:    Host: cray3 Kernel: 4.12.4-1-CHAKRA x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE
Plasma 5.10.5 Distro: Chakra
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: A88XM-PLUS v: Rev X.0x
serial: N/A
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: 3003 date: 03/04/2017
CPU:       Quad core AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G (-MCP-)
cache: 8192 KB
           clock speeds: max: 4200 MHz 1: 1700 MHz 2: 1700 MHz 3: 1700 MHz
4: 1700 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Fiji [Radeon R9 FURY /
NANO Series]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.3 ) driver: amdgpu Resolution:
2560x1440@143.86hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD FIJI (DRM 3.15.0 /
4.12.4-1-CHAKRA, LLVM 4.0.1)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 17.1.5

Sent from: http://mailinglists.scilab.org/Scilab-users-Mailing-Lists-Archives-f2602246.html