[Scilab-users] Can't get current directory

Gerard Awanou Gerard Awanou

[Scilab-users] Can't get current directory

Hi

I am running Scilab 6.1 on mac OS Catalina and I am getting the annoying message
"Can't get current directory".

How do I fix this?

Claus Futtrup Claus Futtrup

Heinz Nabielek-3 Heinz Nabielek-3

Re: Can't get current directory

Gérard,

I added SciLab into Security&Privacy/Privacy/Full Disk Access.

Works fine. But furious about the way the newer Mac OSses make life ever more difficult......

Does anybody have a better suggestion?
Heinz

> On 24.01.2021, at 21:03, Gerard Awanou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I am running Scilab 6.1 on mac OS Catalina and I am getting the annoying message
> "Can't get current directory".
>
> How do I fix this?

Gerard Awanou Gerard Awanou

Re: Can't get current directory

I am using the GUI. It starts with the message

Startup execution:

Then, I try to go to a specific directory

cd Desktop

I then got the error message

"/Users/gerardawanou/Desktop"
Can't get current directory.

I did give Scilab full disc acsess

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 2:52 PM Heinz Nabielek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gérard,

I added SciLab into Security&Privacy/Privacy/Full Disk Access.

Works fine. But furious about the way the newer Mac OSses make life ever more difficult......

Does anybody have a better suggestion?
Heinz

> On 24.01.2021, at 21:03, Gerard Awanou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I am running Scilab 6.1 on mac OS Catalina and I am getting the annoying message
> "Can't get current directory".
>
> How do I fix this?

Heinz Nabielek-3 Heinz Nabielek-3

Re: Can't get current directory

Perfect for me...

--> pwd
 ans  =  "/Users/heinz"

--> cd Desktop
 ans  =   "/Users/heinz/Desktop"

jbaudais jbaudais

Le 24/01/2021 à 22:05, Gerard Awanou a écrit :
> Then, I try to go to a specific directory
> cd Desktop
> I then got the error message
> "/Users/gerardawanou/Desktop"
> Can't get current directory.
> I did give Scilab full disc acsess

If it was access problem, the message would be :
Can't go to directory Desktop: Permission denied

I can't reproduce your error message. What does
--> cd /Users/gerardawanou/
give?

-- Jean-Yves

Re: Can't get current directory

First of all, can you give the build date of your version of Scilab ([a,b]=getversion()) ? Since the end of december the dmg archive of Scilab is notarized by Apple and it could change the way that disk access is granted or not.

Moreover, as indicated in https://www.utc.fr/~mottelet/scilab_for_macOS.html

Problems with macOS Catalina

macOS Catalina introduces new security controls. For example, apps are now required to ask your permission before accessing parts of the drive where documents and personal files are kept. If Scilab does not show files in the FileBrowser component, you will have to enable the command-line interpreter /bin/sh (which is run just after you double-click on Scilab's icon) in the "Privacy" tab in the System Preferences Control Panel. This small video shows how to find the /bin folder by using the keys combination Command-Shift-G and then drag and drop /bin/sh in the list of authorized applications.

this is not just a matter of full disk access, /bin/sh should also be authorized. However, settings can also be different if you have disabled the System Integrity protection.

S.

Le 24/01/2021 à 22:05, Gerard Awanou a écrit :
I am using the GUI. It starts with the message

Startup execution:

Then, I try to go to a specific directory

cd Desktop

I then got the error message

"/Users/gerardawanou/Desktop"
Can't get current directory.

I did give Scilab full disc acsess

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 2:52 PM Heinz Nabielek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gérard,

I added SciLab into Security&Privacy/Privacy/Full Disk Access.

Works fine. But furious about the way the newer Mac OSses make life ever more difficult......

Does anybody have a better suggestion?
Heinz

> On 24.01.2021, at 21:03, Gerard Awanou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I am running Scilab 6.1 on mac OS Catalina and I am getting the annoying message
> "Can't get current directory".
>
> How do I fix this?

Gerard Awanou Gerard Awanou

Re: Can't get current directory

Hi

 cd /Users/gerardawanou/

gives

ans  =

  "/Users/gerardawanou"

[a,b]=getversion()

gives

a  =

  "scilab-branch-6.1"
 b  =

  "GCC"  "x64"  "release"  "Jan 19 2021"  "19:28:01"

Adding bin/sh solves the problem. Sorry I thought that would be equivalent to full disc access.

Thank you very much.

Gerard

Hi,