[Scilab-users] Comparison of SCILAB to other Analytical Applications

Beck, Michel Beck, Michel

[Scilab-users] Comparison of SCILAB to other Analytical Applications

Hi Jeff,

I work for a large Energy Company in North America and we are finally trying to get "scientific" in our choice of analytical software (for about 10-20 users).
Would you please point me to sources where I can find information on the Pros and Cons of SCILAB to fill in the attached "RFI"?.

Thank you very much.

Michel

Email Disclaimer

The information contained in or attached to this email is intended only for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, or retaining this email or any part of it. It may contain information which is confidential and/or covered by legal, professional or other privilege under applicable law. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email.

The views expressed in this email are not necessarily the views of Centrica plc, nor its North American subsidiaries, and the said companies and their respective directors, officers and employees make no representation, nor accept any liability, regarding its accuracy or completeness, unless expressly stated to the contrary.

Analytical Software Comparison v1mb121514.docx (218K) Download Attachment
Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan

On Mon, 2014-12-15 at 19:45 +0000, Beck, Michel wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> I work for a large Energy Company in North America and we are finally trying to get "scientific" in our choice of analytical software (for about 10-20 users).
> Would you please point me to sources where I can find information on the Pros and Cons of SCILAB to fill in the attached "RFI"?.

Speaking purely as a user of Scilab and a past user of Matlab:

* With Scilab you don't have to mess around with a license server.

* With Scilab you don't have to get budgetary approval for every new
"toolbox" (and if we're talking Matlab and 20 users, a toolbox costs as
much as a nice new car).

* Scilab integrates support for signal processing and control system
analysis much better than Matlab.

* The language that Scilab implements is much closer to being
object-oriented than competitors, without being obtrusive with it (it
still has it's quirks, but it's useful enough that I've made data-type
libraries in projects, e.g. for quaternion arithmetic).

It does have a downside that it has fewer flashy bells and whistles than
Matlab -- but most of the Matlab bells and whistles have more flash than
use, and Scilab seems to be finding good analogs for the really useful
ones.

--

Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Klaus Rohe Klaus Rohe

Re: Comparison of SCILAB to other Analytical Applications

May be this paper helps a little bit.

Kind regards

Klaus

FreeOpenSourceSoftwareAnAlternative2EngineeringStudents.pdf (105K) Download Attachment
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott

Re: Comparison of SCILAB to other Analytical Applications

To that I would add that Scilab works just fine on Windows -- or at
least it has in my experience (I'm using a Linux machine).