[Scilab-users] Context error in Xcos Scilab 6.1.0

Perrichon Perrichon

[Scilab-users] Context error in Xcos Scilab 6.1.0

Hello,

I try to understand and find a reason why my projects done with xcos scilab 5.5.2 not run i 6.1.0

So I isolate at least one reason in a basic test program (see attached files)

Here, zcos file are lunched into scilab 5.5.2 or 6.10, with the A.sce file which test the version

A.ctx is a context file. Here is a simple variable definition A=50 in that case.

Every zcos file contains in its simulation contexte, the instruction « exec("A.ctx") » ; accessible with simulation-> context modifying

To run this program, make a directory, a copy of the attached files, and change eventually line 4 in A.sce :

Root="c:\0 - tampon"                                                                // Répertoire de travail pour le test

So run A.sce inside xcos scilab 5.5.2 or 6.1.0

Scilab 5.5.2 run correctly :

Scilab 6.1.0 is bugged :

It means that A is not seen in xcos scilab 6.1.0

Must I write a bugzilla.

Sincerely

Pierre P.

A.ctx (4 bytes) Download Attachment
A.sce (764 bytes) Download Attachment
A552.zcos (2K) Download Attachment
A610.zcos (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Context error in Xcos Scilab 6.1.0

Hello Pierre,

Le 29/02/2020 à 11:32, Perrichon a écrit :

Hello,

I try to understand and find a reason why my projects done with xcos scilab 5.5.2 not run i 6.1.0

So I isolate at least one reason in a basic test program (see attached files)

Here, zcos file are lunched into scilab 5.5.2 or 6.10, with the A.sce file which test the version

A.ctx is a context file. Here is a simple variable definition A=50 in that case.

Every zcos file contains in its simulation contexte, the instruction « exec("A.ctx") » ; accessible with simulation-> context modifying

To run this program, make a directory, a copy of the attached files, and change eventually line 4 in A.sce :

Root="c:\0 - tampon"                                                                // Répertoire de travail pour le test

So run A.sce inside xcos scilab 5.5.2 or 6.1.0

Scilab 5.5.2 run correctly :

<diagram image>

Scilab 6.1.0 is bugged :

Apparently, the problem is that the context is not executed when the diagram is loaded.
Despite what the context message indicates:

Indeed, the message mprintf("Chargement du contexte d''exécution %s\n\n",FichierContexte)
set in the context is not displayed when the diagram is loaded in 6.1.0 ; only when the context
is updated (or simply edited and revalidated).

With Scilab 5.5, the context is not executed when loading the diagram,but when running it.

So, to me, there are apparently 2 issues:

  1. The Set Context message should be fixed: "... and every time the diagram is run" (not loaded)
  2. The fact that the context is executed when the diagram is run should be restored in Scilab 6.

[...]

Sorry, i don't know what occurred with my first trial, but now it works:
In 6.0.2 and 6.1.0, the message is well displayed when the diagram is run.
The error message displayed on the icon is the following:

Perrichon Perrichon

Re: Context error in Xcos Scilab 6.1.0

Hello Samuel,

Glad to see you confirm this bug

Context is executed at line 26 of the A.sce file, and not before :

-à xcos_simulate(scs_m, 4);

So in scilab 6.1.0, the A.ctx is executed.

I also add in A610.zcos the instruction

  • mprintf("Running context in xcos. ...So A=%i\n",A)

And then here is the track in my PC when running A.sce in xcos 6.1.0 :

--> exec('C:\0 - tampon\A.sce', -1)

Chargement du contexte d'exécution A.ctx

Running context in xcos. ...So A=50

Where we can see that A=50 inside A610.zcos.

We also can see that A is lost a the end of the context execution

This bad behavior also explains that my projects don’t migrate from xcos 5.5.2 to 6.1.0

Be sure that in my projects, the ct xis a set of a lot of scilab instructions who generate variables.

These variables are use in any bloscks and under blocks of my main shemes

BR

Le 29/02/2020 à 19:35, Perrichon a écrit :

Hello Samuel,

Glad to see you confirm this bug

Context is executed at line 26 of the A.sce file, and not before :

-à xcos_simulate(scs_m, 4);

I did not use your A.sce file.
From the xcos GUI, i have just tested if the context set in the diagram is well executed,
noticeably exec("A.ctx",-1) and a mprintf() to show a message.

Perrichon Perrichon

Re: Context error in Xcos Scilab 6.1.0

Please Samuel

If you only run exec("A.ctx",-1) then the xcos file , then A is a global variable … !!!

Error is a matter of portability of variables

So thank to only run  A.sce  for testing. Because here the bug

For recalling, it well run with xcos scilab 5.5.2 and not with xcox 6.1.0

BR

Pierre P.

Le 29/02/2020 à 19:35, Perrichon a écrit :

Hello Samuel,

Glad to see you confirm this bug

Context is executed at line 26 of the A.sce file, and not before :

-à xcos_simulate(scs_m, 4);

I did not use your A.sce file.
From the xcos GUI, i have just tested if the context set in the diagram is well executed,
noticeably exec("A.ctx",-1) and a mprintf() to show a message.

Perrichon Perrichon

Re: Context error in Xcos Scilab 6.1.0

PS Samuel

Thanks to do the test as I say with A.sce

Executing  exec("A.ctx",-1) is a very strange way you do to test the bug

In your case, and for your understanding, and to go faster, simply enter A=50 in the console.

So we stop exchange to keep the problem as a bug.

Too information bring confusion.

BR

Pierre P.

Scilab 5.5.2 run correctly :

Scilab 6.1.0 is bugged :

It means that A is not seen in xcos scilab 6.1.0

Must I write a bugzilla.

Re: Context error in Xcos Scilab 6.1.0

Hello Pierre, Samuel,

First, did you opened a bug on that issue?

Second, to me, the bug is located on the script2var() function which resolves the context and output a struct of `variable=value` that are defined for the diagram (and its parents). For example, when I explicitly define A=100 in the context, the A variable is found and resolved as 100 in the diagram. However, defining A=50 inside the A.ctx file and using the schema A610.zcos, where the A.ctx file is passed to exec(), failed.

Le 02/03/2020 à 10:17, Clément David a écrit :
Hello Pierre, Samuel,

First, did you opened a bug on that issue?

Second, to me, the bug is located on the script2var() function which resolves the context and output a struct of `variable=value` that are defined for the diagram (and its parents). For example, when I explicitly define A=100 in the context, the A variable is found and resolved as 100 in the diagram. However, defining A=50 inside the A.ctx file and using the schema A610.zcos, where the A.ctx file is passed to exec(), failed.

Thanks Clément for the indication and the report.

Pierre,
A solution is available => there.
How to install it:

  • Download and unzip the file. Rename it script2var.sci

  • Put script2var.sci in its SCI/scicos/macros/scicos_scicos directory

  • Run the following Scilab code in the console, with some full read/write rights:
    cd SCI/scicos/macros/scicos_scicos
    predef clear
    genlib scicos_scicoslib
    clear script2var

Then things should work for your session and any following ones.
If you get some error when running genlib(), it is most probably because you don't have enough rights to overwrite the library with its update.

BR

Perrichon Perrichon

Re: Context error in Xcos Scilab 6.1.0

Hello Samuel :

  1. The correct pathname of script2var.sci is rather SCI/modules/scicos/macros/scicos_scicos
  2. If I launch your instructions with the correct directory, I get :

--> cd SCI/modules/scicos/macros/scicos_scicos

ans  =

  "C:\Program Files\scilab-6.1.0\modules\scicos\macros\scicos_scicos"

--> predef clear

--> genlib scicos_scicoslib

genlib : Impossible d'ouvrir le fichier "C:\Program Files\scilab-6.1.0\modules\scicos\macros\scicos_scicos\lib".

ans  =

--> clear script2var

To read you

Best regards

Perrichon Perrichon

Re: Context error in Xcos Scilab 6.1.0

PS

I have full read/write rights on my machine

Le 03/03/2020 à 20:06, Perrichon a écrit :

PS

I have full read/write rights on my machine

This is the same issue as with Jan for bitget() last week.
I never install Scilab in the default directory C:\Program Files\....
I think this is why i do not get this message.

If you had strictly no admin rights, you could even not copy the file in its directory.
But maybe there is an intermediate level of administration...
Sometimes when we put such a copy in a "System" directory, we are prompted for confirmation,
while theoretically being full rights admin.

One thing is sure: This is a Windows issue, not a Scilab one.

I will try installing Scilab in its default directory, and see how
Windows can be tuned to accept compiling Scilab libs.

Tan Chin Luh Tan Chin Luh

Re: Context error in Xcos Scilab 6.1.0

hi, sorry to interrupt half way to just give some idea, have you tried to right click on the Scilab and run it as administrator?

I was facing similar issue on write access even I am the admin for win10, local acc, but still I need to run Scilab as admin by  above mentioned method to write to certain folder.

hope this helps.

rgds,
CL

---- On Wed, 04 Mar 2020 05:49:16 +0800 Samuel Gougeon <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Le 03/03/2020 à 20:06, Perrichon a écrit :

PS

I have full read/write rights on my machine

This is the same issue as with Jan for bitget() last week.
I never install Scilab in the default directory C:\Program Files\....
I think this is why i do not get this message.

If you had strictly no admin rights, you could even not copy the file in its directory.
But maybe there is an intermediate level of administration...
Sometimes when we put such a copy in a "System" directory, we are prompted for confirmation,
while theoretically being full rights admin.

One thing is sure: This is a Windows issue, not a Scilab one.

I will try installing Scilab in its default directory, and see how
Windows can be tuned to accept compiling Scilab libs.

JLan JLan

Re: Context error in Xcos Scilab 6.1.0

Yes! Thank you.