[Scilab-users] Deletion of console content

Jens Jens

[Scilab-users] Deletion of console content

Hello Scilab experts,

I have two questions:

  • 1. After closing Scilab, is the content of what has appeared on the console during the session still accessible for computer experts? In other words: Is the console content securely deleted?
  • 2. After editing and executing a script and closing Scilab, is the script before the edit still accesible for computer experts?

Kind regards

Jens

fmiyara fmiyara

Re: Deletion of console content

Jens,

I'm not quite an expert, but I can tell that by default the historic content of the console is saved somewhere and can be accessed in a small dockable window generally located at the right bottom corner of the screen, named Command History. It can also be deleted by first clicking on this window to make Scilab focus on it, then opening the Edit menu and clearing history or, I presume, deleting (I don't want to test that because sometimes I use it and don't want to lose it just to experiment :) ). It is possible to disable it from the Edit menu for the console, preferences, Command History. In that dialog you can also decide where the History file will be saved and the maximum number of lines to be saved. You could also use a secure deleting tool on that file.

Regarding the previous versions of a script, I'm not quite sure. If your aim is to recover a version you have accidentally overwritten, I'm afraid it may be difficult since there is no guarantee that the new version is saved in a different cluster in the disk. If, on the contrary, the aim is to prevent other users of the same computer to spy on your work, there is no guarantee either that parts of the script do not remain undeleted. One possibility would be to save your work to a memory stick, I don't think a local copy is preserved since at most the script is loaded into volatile RAM which is deleted when you shut your system down.

Regards,

Federico Miyara

On 25/09/2019 11:24, Jens Simon Strom wrote:

Hello Scilab experts,

I have two questions:

  • 1. After closing Scilab, is the content of what has appeared on the console during the session still accessible for computer experts? In other words: Is the console content securely deleted?
  • 2. After editing and executing a script and closing Scilab, is the script before the edit still accesible for computer experts?

Kind regards

Jens

Avast logo

Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan

> Regarding the previous versions of a script, I'm not quite sure.
> [...]
> If, on the contrary, the aim is to prevent other users of the same
> computer to spy on your work, there is no guarantee either that parts of the script do not remain undeleted.

Indeed.

From the few things I know about the file systems, deleting a file only means suppressing its reference from the file allocation table (or master file table or inode table or whatever its name) but does not set the bits to 0 or any fixed or random value.

As you cannot be sure that the bits are ovewritten, you cannot be sure that the content cannot be retrieved.

You may launch some tools that write random content to unallocated parts of disks (but beware that you also prevent from retrieving content mistakenly deleted or corrupted), or crush your disk physically (same remark applies).

General

Le 25/09/2019 à 16:24, Jens Simon Strom a écrit :

Hello Scilab experts,

I have two questions:

  • 1. After closing Scilab, is the content of what has appeared on the console during the session still accessible for computer experts? In other words: Is the console content securely deleted?
When Scilab is closed, the history of commands is saved in SCIHOME/history. To prevent this,  the history content can be erased before closing Scilab with the command

resethistory()

If you want to do this systematically, the resethistory() call can be inserted at the end of SCI/etc/scilab.quit

S.