[Scilab-users] FEA in Scilab

Claus Futtrup Claus Futtrup

[Scilab-users] FEA in Scilab

Dear fellow Scilabers

There are various initiatives and possibly demonstration projects for implementing Finite Element algorithms and Analysis in Scilab. Please help me by providing pointers.

What I'd like to simulate is the suspension of a loudspeaker (the cloth spider which essentially centers the voice coil in the air gap), in particular I wish to calculate a force-deflection curve.

In my particular case, I'd like to describe the spider as a collection of line segments (straight lines as well as circular sections). This description represents a cross section view of the spider. For proper modeling, this is an axisymmetric model of the spider.

I have a simple description of what I'd like to do in Scilab, but done in a software named Mecway. The PDF is 650 kb (4 pages). I am worried about attaching such a document to the User Group here in general, but I can of course send it on request. In Mecway the axisymmetric model is expanded into 3D with hex8 elements (it looks like a basic cubic element). The force-function is applied in 40 time steps. It looks like 40 x basic static analysis.

Please let me know what you think would be suitable for solving this problem. Is there a suitable ATOMS library?

Best regards,
Claus

Heinz Nabielek-3 Heinz Nabielek-3

Re: FEA in Scilab

I would have no idea, if the report

"Finite Elements in Scilab: Solution of partial differential equations supported by the FreeFEM toolbox"

is any help. Dr van Seggern is long retired from the Forschungszentrum Jülich.
Greetings
Heinz

FORSCHUNGSZENTRUM JÜLICH GmbH
Zentralinstitut für Angewandte Mathematik
D-52425 Jülich, Tel. (02461) 61-6402
Interner Bericht
Finite Elemente in Scilab:Das Lösen partieller Differentialgleichungen mit Hilfe der FreeFEM-Toolbox

Rainer von Seggern
FZJ-ZAM-IB-2001-03
April 2001

> On 27.01.2020, at 11:25, Claus Futtrup <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear fellow Scilabers
>
> There are various initiatives and possibly demonstration projects for implementing Finite Element algorithms and Analysis in Scilab. Please help me by providing pointers.
>
> What I'd like to simulate is the suspension of a loudspeaker (the cloth spider which essentially centers the voice coil in the air gap), in particular I wish to calculate a force-deflection curve.
>
> In my particular case, I'd like to describe the spider as a collection of line segments (straight lines as well as circular sections). This description represents a cross section view of the spider. For proper modeling, this is an axisymmetric model of the spider.
>
> I have a simple description of what I'd like to do in Scilab, but done in a software named Mecway. The PDF is 650 kb (4 pages). I am worried about attaching such a document to the User Group here in general, but I can of course send it on request. In Mecway the axisymmetric model is expanded into 3D with hex8 elements (it looks like a basic cubic element). The force-function is applied in 40 time steps. It looks like 40 x basic static analysis.
>
> Please let me know what you think would be suitable for solving this problem. Is there a suitable ATOMS library?
>
> Best regards,
> Claus
Claus Futtrup Claus Futtrup

Re: FEA in Scilab

Hi

I've searched for FreeFEM and found https://wiki.scilab.org/FreeFem ...
but the wiki returns that the page no longer exist. Do you know of
another link?

Best regards,
Claus

On 27.01.2020 16:01, Heinz Nabielek wrote:

> I would have no idea, if the report
>
> "Finite Elements in Scilab: Solution of partial differential equations supported by the FreeFEM toolbox"
>
> is any help. Dr van Seggern is long retired from the Forschungszentrum Jülich.
> Greetings
> Heinz
>

> FORSCHUNGSZENTRUM JÜLICH GmbH
> Zentralinstitut für Angewandte Mathematik
> D-52425 Jülich, Tel. (02461) 61-6402
> Interner Bericht
> Finite Elemente in Scilab:Das Lösen partieller Differentialgleichungen mit Hilfe der FreeFEM-Toolbox
>
> Rainer von Seggern
> FZJ-ZAM-IB-2001-03
> April 2001
>
>> On 27.01.2020, at 11:25, Claus Futtrup <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear fellow Scilabers
>>
>> There are various initiatives and possibly demonstration projects for implementing Finite Element algorithms and Analysis in Scilab. Please help me by providing pointers.
>>
>> What I'd like to simulate is the suspension of a loudspeaker (the cloth spider which essentially centers the voice coil in the air gap), in particular I wish to calculate a force-deflection curve.
>>
>> In my particular case, I'd like to describe the spider as a collection of line segments (straight lines as well as circular sections). This description represents a cross section view of the spider. For proper modeling, this is an axisymmetric model of the spider.
>>
>> I have a simple description of what I'd like to do in Scilab, but done in a software named Mecway. The PDF is 650 kb (4 pages). I am worried about attaching such a document to the User Group here in general, but I can of course send it on request. In Mecway the axisymmetric model is expanded into 3D with hex8 elements (it looks like a basic cubic element). The force-function is applied in 40 time steps. It looks like 40 x basic static analysis.
>>
>> Please let me know what you think would be suitable for solving this problem. Is there a suitable ATOMS library?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Claus
Denis Crété Denis Crété

Re: FEA in Scilab

Hello,
You can try freefem.org
HTH
Denis

Denis Crété
Claus Futtrup Claus Futtrup

Re: FEA in Scilab

Hi Denis

I did a search in their documentation (it's offered on their web pages)
for Scilab, and only found one hit which explains their arrays are set
like matlab or scilab.

Searching their modules library for "scilab" returned empty.

I did a google search "scilab site:freefem.org" ... but nothing hints
that freefem is somehow supporting integration with Scilab. Am I wrong?
(Any pointers?)

Best regards,
Claus

On 27.01.2020 18:35, CRETE Denis wrote:

> Hello,
> You can try freefem.org
> HTH
> Denis

Re: FEA in Scilab

Le 27/01/2020 à 11:25, Claus Futtrup a écrit :

> Dear fellow Scilabers
>
> There are various initiatives and possibly demonstration projects for
> implementing Finite Element algorithms and Analysis in Scilab. Please
> help me by providing pointers.
>
> What I'd like to simulate is the suspension of a loudspeaker (the
> cloth spider which essentially centers the voice coil in the air gap),
> in particular I wish to calculate a force-deflection curve.
>
> In my particular case, I'd like to describe the spider as a
> collection of line segments (straight lines as well as circular
> sections). This description represents a cross section view of the
> spider. For proper modeling, this is an axisymmetric model of the spider.
>
> I have a simple description of what I'd like to do in Scilab, but done
> in a software named Mecway. The PDF is 650 kb (4 pages). I am worried
> about attaching such a document to the User Group here in general, but
> I can of course send it on request. In Mecway the axisymmetric model
> is expanded into 3D with hex8 elements (it looks like a basic cubic
> element). The force-function is applied in 40 time steps. It looks
> like 40 x basic static analysis.
>
> Please let me know what you think would be suitable for solving this
> problem. Is there a suitable ATOMS library?

sciFreeFEM, but it is not ported to Scilab 6:
https://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/SciFreeFEM

Claus Futtrup Claus Futtrup

Re: FEA in Scilab

Hi Samuel

Ah yes. This would be a great way to load a module and work on a FEA
problem in Scilab. Is the maintainer (Yann Collette) still somewhere in
the Scilab-sphere?

Best regards,
Claus

On 27.01.2020 20:18, Samuel Gougeon wrote:

> Le 27/01/2020 à 11:25, Claus Futtrup a écrit :
>> Dear fellow Scilabers
>>
>> There are various initiatives and possibly demonstration projects for
>> implementing Finite Element algorithms and Analysis in Scilab. Please
>> help me by providing pointers.
>>
>> What I'd like to simulate is the suspension of a loudspeaker (the
>> cloth spider which essentially centers the voice coil in the air
>> gap), in particular I wish to calculate a force-deflection curve.
>>
>> In my particular case, I'd like to describe the spider as a
>> collection of line segments (straight lines as well as circular
>> sections). This description represents a cross section view of the
>> spider. For proper modeling, this is an axisymmetric model of the
>> spider.
>>
>> I have a simple description of what I'd like to do in Scilab, but
>> done in a software named Mecway. The PDF is 650 kb (4 pages). I am
>> worried about attaching such a document to the User Group here in
>> general, but I can of course send it on request. In Mecway the
>> axisymmetric model is expanded into 3D with hex8 elements (it looks
>> like a basic cubic element). The force-function is applied in 40 time
>> steps. It looks like 40 x basic static analysis.
>>
>> Please let me know what you think would be suitable for solving this
>> problem. Is there a suitable ATOMS library?
>

> sciFreeFEM, but it is not ported to Scilab 6:
> https://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/SciFreeFEM
>
> Samuel

Re: FEA in Scilab

Le 27/01/2020 à 20:56, Claus Futtrup a écrit :
> Hi Samuel
>
> Ah yes. This would be a great way to load a module and work on a FEA
> problem in Scilab. Is the maintainer (Yann Collette) still somewhere
> in the Scilab-sphere?

In a 8 years sphere radius.

Considering more carefully sciFreeFEM, apparently it allowed to deal
only with 2D problems.
So not really relevant for your user case.

Re: FEA in Scilab

Hi,

For an axisymmetric problem 2D is ok.

S.

> Le 27 janv. 2020 à 21:10, Samuel Gougeon <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Le 27/01/2020 à 20:56, Claus Futtrup a écrit :
>> Hi Samuel
>>
>> Ah yes. This would be a great way to load a module and work on a FEA problem in Scilab. Is the maintainer (Yann Collette) still somewhere in the Scilab-sphere?
>
> In a 8 years sphere radius.
>
> Considering more carefully sciFreeFEM, apparently it allowed to deal only with 2D problems.
> So not really relevant for your user case.

fmiyara fmiyara

Re: FEA in Scilab

Claus,

I'm interested.

Regards,

Federico Miyara

On 27/01/2020 07:25, Claus Futtrup wrote:
[...]

Michael J. McCann-3 Michael J. McCann-3

Re: FEA in Scilab

Federico,
This isn't really an answer but I have in hand a book;

"Introduction to  Finite and Spectral Element Methods Using MATLAB",
 C.Pozrikidis,     CRC Press,    2014     ISBN978
.1.4822.0915.0
It might provide models for coding even if the dialect is different.

Mike.

On 1/28/2020 7:14 PM, Federico Miyara wrote:

[...]

Note: Email address is now '[hidden email]' not 'iee.org'

Claus Futtrup Claus Futtrup

Re: FEA in Scilab

Hi Michael

I'm the thread starter. Good point that one could look in MATLAB for inspiration.

I am not so much interested in creating a FEA program (or API) myself in Scilab, but if anything exist today which to some extent is in development or service (maintenance), then I'd be inclined to try this.

... Conclusion seems to be, this is not the case.

Best regards,
Claus