[Scilab-users] GUI programming

Claus Futtrup Claus Futtrup

[Scilab-users] GUI programming

Hi Scilabers

Is there a comprehensive manual or book (in English, or alt German) about programming GUI in Scilab? (or a comprehensive web-page)

I've found the Openeering one (18 pages):
... and I've looked at the help pages for uicontrol + run some of the GUI demos in Scilab.

I have almost no background in GUI programming, nothing successful anyway, but it could be nice if I could at least get some basic GUI up running (e.g. a figure where one can manage some controls on the left side + see the polar plot etc on the right side).

I think that what I need is not just examples. I need explanations, and preferably something coherent that I can combine and work with, into something that works.

I've installed GUI builder from ATOMS. In the past I've never been happy with programming on a high level. I prefer to understand what goes on under the hood... so GUI builder is a bit of a desperate grasp on my part.

Best regards,
Claus

nikolay nikolay

Re: GUI programming

Dear Claus!

It seems that Scilab GUI programming is not fully described nowadays.

When I programmed my Mathieu Functions Toolbox version 4 with GUI I gathered information from whole internet.
You can learn GUI programming by analyzing and breaking its main GUI file (see it's page on Forge ; demo is available from Scilab: ? -> Scilab Demonstrations -> Mathieu functions -> GUI for Mathieu Function Toolbox ) :)

I have bookmarked some pages:

I have never seen comprehensive book about programming GUI in Scilab (in any language).
So If I remember correctly I read some books about MATLAB's GUI (uicontrol) function and extrapolated this material to Scilab.

--
With best regards,
Ph.D.,

[...]

Tan Chin Luh-2 Tan Chin Luh-2

Re: GUI programming

Hi,

You might want to look into the video tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6bMURCVfb0&list=PL1G9eUG4bZaJ7pvUOS568320w8GVHtGRs

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chin Luh

On 25/1/2018 4:09 AM, Nikolay Strelkov wrote:
[...]

Hi Nikolay and Tan

Thank you for your help.

Tan, I tried to load guibuilder. My first thought was to pull the white area to the grid ... and it crashed, but then again, Scilab 6 seems to crash a lot on me. Good tip to view some YouTube videos. I'll try that, to see if I can get some overview of the matter.

Best regards,
Claus

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 3:41 AM, Tan Chin Luh <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

amonmayr amonmayr

Re: GUI programming

Last time I built GUI with Scilab, I did not find a comprehensive website or book on the subject and resorted to a bunch of separate sources (see Nikokay's answer).
Here are a bunch of issues/tricks I learned by trial & error:

- as for now, you cannot export uicontrols using the figure menu or the "xs2svg, xs2png, ..." functions. It means that for example if you put two frames side by side, one with buttons, the other one with a plot (an axis), you'll get a blank image if you export it. It's quite inconvenient when trying to build a documentation with visual examples.

- the documentation for gridbag layout constraint is just useless ( https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.0.0/en_US/gridbag_constraints_properties.html ), but this layout is just the best in term of functionalities and flexibility. It took me a lot of time to half understand how it works, reading java documentations and trying to fill-in the gaps.

- There is a nice trick to get a responsive GUI even if your callback functions take some time to execute. The idea is, from within the callback function, to first disable the callback function of the uicontrol, run the long calculation and then re-enable the callback. That way you avoid getting a huge amount of events and callbacks that accumulate and lag behind the actions of the user. As an example, imagine a slider where the callback function runs a 500ms-long calculation and plot the results on a graph. If you don't apply the trick described above, sliding the slider can generate 10's of events in a fraction of a second and then you have to wait for all the calculations and plotting to finish in order to get back to a usable GUI.

Hope it helps,

Antoine

Le 24/01/2018 à 19:49, Claus Futtrup a écrit :
[...]

 Antoine Monmayrant LAAS - CNRS
 7 avenue du Colonel Roche
 BP 54200
 31031 TOULOUSE Cedex 4
 FRANCE

 Tel:+33 5 61 33 64 59

 email : [hidden email]
 permanent email : [hidden email]

Philippe Roux Philippe Roux

Re: GUI programming

Hi

Le 24/01/2018 à 19:49, Claus Futtrup a écrit :
> Hi Scilabers
>
> Is there a comprehensive manual or book (in English, or alt German)
> about programming GUI in Scilab? (or a comprehensive web-page)

programming GUI in scilab relies on a good comprehension of graphics
handles. The 4th chapter of my book is dedicated to graphics and contain
few pages about GUI conception (part 23.4  pages 338 to 353)  :

https://www.d-booker.fr/scilab-book1/325-scilab-fundamentals.html

You can find a simple example (with call-back inside)  detailed :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRXr22VZNJM

It's sufficient to understand the basis of GUI.
> I think that what I need is not just examples. I need explanations, and
> preferably something coherent that I can combine and work with, into
> something that works.

That was the aim of my book : giving simple examples with detailed
explanations, well ordered so that you can learn scilab with more
efficiency than jumping from one help page to another.

Philippe

Claus Futtrup Claus Futtrup

Re: GUI programming

Hi Philippe

Thank you for poiting out that your book actually include this. I thought "Fundamental" meant that it would be a bit too fundamental for me, but maybe not. :-) ... I wish to also buy the other books in this series of books, when made available in English.

Best regards,
Claus

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 11:04 PM, philippe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Le 24/01/2018 à 19:49, Claus Futtrup a écrit :
> Hi Scilabers
>
> Is there a comprehensive manual or book (in English, or alt German)
> about programming GUI in Scilab? (or a comprehensive web-page)

programming GUI in scilab relies on a good comprehension of graphics
handles. The 4th chapter of my book is dedicated to graphics and contain
few pages about GUI conception (part 23.4  pages 338 to 353)  :

https://www.d-booker.fr/scilab-book1/325-scilab-fundamentals.html

You can find a simple example (with call-back inside)  detailed :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRXr22VZNJM

It's sufficient to understand the basis of GUI.
> I think that what I need is not just examples. I need explanations, and
> preferably something coherent that I can combine and work with, into
> something that works.

That was the aim of my book : giving simple examples with detailed
explanations, well ordered so that you can learn scilab with more
efficiency than jumping from one help page to another.

Philippe

Claus Futtrup Claus Futtrup

Re: GUI programming

Hi Philippe

The book arrived in the mail today.

Now - if someone would translate the book about XCOS ... then I'd buy that too!

Cheers,