[Scilab-users] How to specify angle in degree and minutes

Dmitry Samersoff Dmitry Samersoff

[Scilab-users] How to specify angle in degree and minutes

Hello Everybody,

I need to calculate cosine of bunch of angles that comes as
Degree Minutes Seconds (e.g. 44d32m11s).

What is the best way to do it in scilab?

Does cosd() accept some notation that is similar to one above?

Thank you!
-Dmitry
Dang Ngoc Chan, Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan, Christophe

> I need to calculate cosine of bunch of angles
> that comes as Degree Minutes Seconds (e.g. 44d32m11s).
>
> What is the best way to do it in scilab?

If you have a vector of numbers angle = [dd, mm, ss], it is rather easy to convert it into a decimal number, e.g.

angle(1) + (angle(2) + angle(3)/60)/60

If you have a character string, this means parsing.
Have a look at tokens()

https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.1.0/en_US/tokens.html

e.g.

--> tokens("44d32m11s", ["d", "m", "s"])
 ans  =

  "44"
  "32"
  "11"

> Does cosd() accept some notation that is similar to one above?

No, https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.1.0/en_US/cosd.html

HTH,

General
Dmitry Samersoff Dmitry Samersoff

Re: How to specify angle in degree and minutes

Hello Christophe,

Thank you for your support.

tokens + arithmetic conversion did what I was needed.

It would be nice to have the support for such notation in a future and
avoid extra steps - this kind of data is rather common for many areas of
knowledge.

-Dmitry

On 22/03/2021 11:16, Dang Ngoc Chan, Christophe wrote:

> Hello,

The best way would be to use msscanf:

--> [x]=msscanf("44d32m11s","%dd%dm%ds")
  x  =

    44.   32.   11.

S.