[Scilab-users] Installing Scilab under Linux (Mint / aka Ubuntu)

Claus Futtrup Claus Futtrup

[Scilab-users] Installing Scilab under Linux (Mint / aka Ubuntu)

Hi there

I've installed Linux Mint 19 (MATE) and installing Scilab using the
Software Manager doesn't work. I cannot get the GUI to show up (CLI
works fine). There are several bug reports out there, but AFAIK no
remedy. P.S. Upon first installation I did check and see that the GUI
worked, but it never worked since and uninstalling + installing (incl.
the CLI, and BTW also including reboots) doesn't work.

Therefore I decided to download the Linux 64-bit package from scilab.org
... when unpacked, I see there's not an installer ... but as the README
says, launching ./bin/scilab gives me the GUI (yaayh!)

The question is - from unpacking the software, how am I supposed to
install this already compiled scilab in my Linux? ... Am I supposed to
leave it in my /home directory? ... Sorry for my lack of knowledge here.
I hope for some kind help.

Best regards,

Claus

---

amonmayr amonmayr

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? Installing Scilab under Linux (Mint?==?utf-8?q? / aka Ubuntu)

Hello Claus,

I usually untar the scilab archive in a local folder in my home directory ("~/bin" for example) and I had the path to this folder in my $PATH variable.
To launch scilab, I open a terminal and just type "scilab" (or scilab-cli, or whatever version you want to use).
I don't have fancy integration with the desktop environment, but it works well that way...
Whenever I want to upgrade to a new version, I remove the folder and untar the new scilab version...

Hope it helps,

Antoine

Le Mercredi, Juillet 25, 2018 14:44 CEST, Claus Futtrup <[hidden email]> a écrit:

> Hi there
>
> I've installed Linux Mint 19 (MATE) and installing Scilab using the
> Software Manager doesn't work. I cannot get the GUI to show up (CLI
> works fine). There are several bug reports out there, but AFAIK no
> remedy. P.S. Upon first installation I did check and see that the GUI
> worked, but it never worked since and uninstalling + installing (incl.
> the CLI, and BTW also including reboots) doesn't work.
>
> Therefore I decided to download the Linux 64-bit package from scilab.org
> ... when unpacked, I see there's not an installer ... but as the README
> says, launching ./bin/scilab gives me the GUI (yaayh!)
>
> The question is - from unpacking the software, how am I supposed to
> install this already compiled scilab in my Linux? ... Am I supposed to
> leave it in my /home directory? ... Sorry for my lack of knowledge here.
> I hope for some kind help.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Claus
>

> ---

nikolay nikolay

Re: Installing Scilab under Linux (Mint / aka Ubuntu)

Dear Claus!

As a temporarily fix you can read this solution on AskUbuntu - https://askubuntu.com/a/1029164/66509 . I have tested it. Unpacking to home folder works as expected (and as before).

Dear Scilab developers!

As long-time Scilab user I can't completely understand how this may happen. Please take a look to the mentioned bugs in the linked answer above and make real actions to fix these problems. Scilab is completely broken in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (so without real actions it will be broken until 2023) and does not work on development version 18.10 too. Also it does not work on Debian 10. Please contact Debian and/or Ubuntu maintainers directly.

Scilab is very often used in educational purposes. For example we use it on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS in our university to teach students.
It will be very bad if we lose such a convenient and useful software-tool.

---
With best regards,
Ph.D.,
associate professor at MPEI,
IEEE member,
maintainer of Mathieu functions toolbox for Scilab,
Nikolay Strelkov.

[...]

Hi Antoine and Nikolay

Thank you for your help. I see that the easiest way is, as Antoine wrote, to execute a shell and execute scilab from the shell (and for sure, keep the shell open).

I tried to create a desktop "launcher" in Linux Mint, executing a scilab.sh script and containing 'nohup scilab.sh & disown' ... to release scilab from the terminal, but at no luck.

I also tried to follow advice from askubuntu (below), including creating desktop files, etc. (see near the bottom), but still no luck.

Best regards,
Claus

On 25.07.2018 15:40, Nikolay Strelkov wrote:
[...]

Avast logo

amonmayr amonmayr

Le 25/07/2018 à 20:01, Claus Futtrup a écrit :
Hi Antoine and Nikolay

Thank you for your help. I see that the easiest way is, as Antoine wrote, to execute a shell and execute scilab from the shell (and for sure, keep the shell open).
Well, the best solution I found is to use a dropdown terminal (like yakuake for example): pressing F12 the terminal appears/disappears. This way, I never have to close it and it stays open with a bunch tabs with the most common command line applications I use.

I tried to create a desktop "launcher" in Linux Mint, executing a scilab.sh script and containing 'nohup scilab.sh & disown' ... to release scilab from the terminal, but at no luck.
Well, I think the .desktop approach is the best one here.
You can also try to use a command launcher: with the Ubuntu I use (16.04), I have Alt+F2 that opens a proper command launcher and I can run any command line app. Note that it differs from pressing the Windows key that will only launch applications that have a corresponding *.desktop file.

I also tried to follow advice from askubuntu (below), including creating desktop files, etc. (see near the bottom), but still no luck.
I don't see your attempt here.
If you installed scilab from the repos, you should have a *.desktop file to tinker with in order to call your up-to-date scilab instead of the repo one.
On my system the desktop files of the repos applications are here:

    /usr/share/app-install/desktop/scilab:scilab.desktop
    /usr/share/applications/scilab.desktop

while I put the one of the applications I installed by hand  here:

    ~/.local/share/applications/

Hope it helps,

[...]

 Antoine Monmayrant LAAS - CNRS
 7 avenue du Colonel Roche