[Scilab-users] Phishing attempt?

Claus Futtrup Claus Futtrup

[Scilab-users] Phishing attempt?

Dear Scilab mailing list

Today I received an email with a link, recommending me to sign up for the Scilab mailing list, presumably this one (?) - for which I'm already a member. This makes me suspicious. Is this a phishing attempt?

Scilab - please confirm this is a valid request - or not?

Title of the email: Scilab users - Mailing Lists Archives

Sent from: [hidden email]

... Very suspicious, and without any previous "flagging" that such an email is coming from anybody credible (credible = from anyone inside the Scilab team).

Best regards,

Claus

Avast logo

yanndebray yanndebray

Re: Phishing attempt?

Dear Claus,

This is weird indeed.
I haven't received this email from Nabble.
And it definitely does not come from the Scilab team.
We might consider another platform for community exchanges.

Yours
Yann

On 2019-02-24 10:18, Claus Futtrup wrote:

> Dear Scilab mailing list
>
> Today I received an email with a link, recommending me to sign up for
> the Scilab mailing list, presumably this one (?) - for which I'm
> already a member. This makes me suspicious. Is this a phishing
> attempt?
>
> Scilab - please confirm this is a valid request - or not?
>
> Title of the email: SCILAB USERS - MAILING LISTS ARCHIVES
>
> Sent from: [hidden email]
>
> ... Very suspicious, and without any previous "flagging" that such an
> email is coming from anybody credible (credible = from anyone inside
> the Scilab team).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Claus
>
> -------------------------
>
>   [1]

> Links:
> ------

Re: Phishing attempt?

Hello Clauss,

Le 24/02/2019 à 10:18, Claus Futtrup a écrit :

Dear Scilab mailing list

Today I received an email with a link, recommending me to sign up for the Scilab mailing list, presumably this one (?) - for which I'm already a member. This makes me suspicious. Is this a phishing attempt?

Scilab - please confirm this is a valid request - or not?

Title of the email: Scilab users - Mailing Lists Archives

Sent from: [hidden email]

... Very suspicious, and without any previous "flagging" that such an email is coming from anybody credible (credible = from anyone inside the Scilab team).

It looks like a regular administrative notification from the nable plateform homing mailing lists.
I guess that it can occur while some operations are done on the web interface.
Phishing is when in a mail some link leads to a target completely different from
the supposed one "readable as the link text". It does not look to be the case.

If someone tried to use your loggin on the online plateform but failed due to a bad login,
then a good plateform will notify the actual recipient to confirm the login.
This is rather a sign for security, not the opposite.

Re: Phishing attempt?

Hello Clauss,
.../...

It looks like a regular administrative notification from the nable plateform homing mailing lists.
I guess that it can occur while some operations are done on the web interface.
Phishing is when in a mail some link leads to a target completely different from
the supposed one "readable as the link text". It does not look to be the case.

If someone tried to use your loggin on the online plateform but failed due to a bad login,

.. to a bad password..