[Scilab-users] Pong contest

Hello all,

As you may have noticed, there is now a little game in the
Gaphics/Animation section of the demonstrations. As the speed and
responsiveness seems to be similar under all platforms, it would be
funny to launch a little contest. In the next Scilab version it would be
interesting to implement a high score online record, but until then, you
can answer this message with the same kind of screenshot I joined,
showing you score and just taken after the game end with and with the
last dialog on the figure.

Cheers,

mottelet.png (63K) Download Attachment
Antoine Monmayrant Antoine Monmayrant

Re: Pong contest

On 05/06/2020 14:48, Stéphane Mottelet wrote:
Hello all,

As you may have noticed, there is now a little game in the Gaphics/Animation section of the demonstrations. As the speed and responsiveness seems to be similar under all platforms, it would be funny to launch a little contest. In the next Scilab version it would be interesting to implement a high score online record, but until then, you can answer this message with the same kind of screenshot I joined, showing you score and just taken after the game end with and with the last dialog on the figure.

Cheers,

ping.png (32K) Download Attachment

mottelet05052020.png (61K) Download Attachment
jbaudais jbaudais

Re: Pong contest

HI,
  Grrrrrr! I don't find any "animation" section in chapter "Graphics" on the help browser. Where is it?

--
Jean-Yves Baudais

> On 05/06/2020 14:48, Stéphane Mottelet wrote:
>

> Hello all,
>
> As you may have noticed, there is now a little game in the Gaphics/Animation
> section of the demonstrations. As the speed and responsiveness seems to be
> similar under all platforms, it would be funny to launch a little contest. In
> the next Scilab version it would be interesting to implement a high score
> online record, but until then, you can answer this message with the same kind
> of screenshot I joined, showing you score and just taken after the game end
> with and with the last dialog on the figure.
>
> Cheers,

Re: Pong contest

It's in the Demonstrations menu.

Le 05/06/2020 à 16:26, Jean-Yves Baudais a écrit :

> HI,
>    Grrrrrr! I don't find any "animation" section in chapter "Graphics" on the help browser. Where is it?
>
> --
> Jean-Yves Baudais

Heinz Nabielek-3 Heinz Nabielek-3

jbaudais jbaudais

Re: Pong contest

I got it! Thanks :-)

--
Jean-Yves Baudais

> Le 05/06/2020 à 16:26, Jean-Yves Baudais a écrit :
>> HI,
>>    Grrrrrr! I don't find any "animation" section in chapter "Graphics" on the help
>>    browser. Where is it?
>>
>> --
>> Jean-Yves Baudais

Re: Pong contest

The game is really slower/easier under Linux, likely because of sleep() which is quite unreliable...

Le 05/06/2020 à 14:48, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :
Hello all,

As you may have noticed, there is now a little game in the Gaphics/Animation section of the demonstrations. As the speed and responsiveness seems to be similar under all platforms, it would be funny to launch a little contest. In the next Scilab version it would be interesting to implement a high score online record, but until then, you can answer this message with the same kind of screenshot I joined, showing you score and just taken after the game end with and with the last dialog on the figure.

Cheers,

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 5.57.40 PM.png (87K) Download Attachment
Rafael Guerra Rafael Guerra

Re: Pong contest

It runs very fast on Win10 and the pong ball looks like a Flintstones ball…

Re: Pong contest

Le 05/06/2020 à 18:53, Rafael Guerra a écrit :

It runs very fast on Win10 and the pong ball looks like a Flintstones ball…

Re: Pong contest

Platform ?

Le 5 juin 2020 à 20:01, Bernard Boyer <[hidden email]> a écrit :

<bdkihjbogangjkoj.png>

Le 05/06/2020 à 18:53, Rafael Guerra a écrit :

It runs very fast on Win10 and the pong ball looks like a Flintstones ball…

<image003.jpg>

Re: Pong contest

Le 05/06/2020 à 20:00, Bernard Boyer a écrit :
in this case it's on W10: each ball start smoothly then accelerate. Guess it's the same way on all platform?

Le 05/06/2020 à 18:53, Rafael Guerra a écrit :

It runs very fast on Win10 and the pong ball looks like a Flintstones ball…

Claus Futtrup Claus Futtrup

pong_ball3.jpg (33K) Download Attachment
der_Phil der_Phil

Re: Pong contest

nice.

However on my win7 64bit Laptop the speed suddenly changes from very slow to very fast and even back to slow....so kind of unpredictable...

probably a feature :-)

Greetings

Virenfrei. www.avg.com

Le 7 juin 2020 à 09:34, P M <[hidden email]> a écrit :

nice.

However on my win7 64bit Laptop the speed suddenly changes from very slow to very fast and even back to slow....so kind of unpredictable...

probably a feature :-)

Yeah, a (known) feature of sleep(). For the next release I will try to find a better alternative !

[...]

Hello Stéphane et al.,

Would it make sense in this “Pong contest”, in addition to the OS used, to also provide some sort of benchmarking of machine CPU?

Fyi, find below simple test by Gershenfeld (1999), it computes Pi=4*atan(1) by two methods:

    Scalar test:  Pi(N)~Sum{i=1:N; 0.5/((i-0.75)*(i-0.25))}

    Array test:   Pi(N)= Pi(N-1) + 0.5/((N-0.75)*(N-0.25))

// Based on benchmarking test in Gershenfeld Mathematical modeling book (1999)

// There are 5 floating point operations per step, total 5 Mflop with N=1e6

N= 1e6;

tic();

ps= 0;

for i=1:N

  ps= ps + 0.5/((i-0.75)*(i-0.25));

end

dt=toc();

printf('...SCALAR RESULT:  Mflops= %4.3f ;  Pi ~ %7.6f \n',5.0/dt,ps);

tic();

pv(1)= 0.5/((1-0.75)*(1-0.25));

for i=2:N

  pv(i)= pv(i-1) + 0.5/((i-0.75)*(i-0.25));

end

dt=toc();

printf('...ARRAY RESULT:  Mflops= %4.3f ;  Pi ~ %7.6f \n',5.0/dt,pv(N));

PS:

...SCALAR RESULT:  Mflops= 3.489

...ARRAY RESULT:  Mflops= 1.367

Regards,

Rafael

On 05-06-2020 14:48, Stéphane Mottelet wrote:

Hello all,

As you may have noticed, there is now a little game in the Gaphics/Animation section of the demonstrations. As the speed and responsiveness seems to be similar under all platforms, it would be funny to launch a little contest. In the next Scilab version it would be interesting to implement a high score online record, but until then, you can answer this message with the same kind of screenshot I joined, showing you score and just taken after the game end with and with the last dialog on the figure.

Cheers,

Claus Futtrup Claus Futtrup

Re: Pong contest

Hi Rafael

...SCALAR RESULT:  Mflops= 2.737 ;  Pi ~ 3.141592
...ARRAY RESULT:  Mflops= 1.284 ;  Pi ~ 3.141592

The machine is a two-year old Lenovo T480, Core i7 8th Gen. Built-in Intel Graphics (no external card)

/Claus

On 07-06-2020 09:54, Rafael Guerra wrote:

[...]

From an iMac macOS 10.15.5 (19F101):

...SCALAR RESULT:  Mflops= 2.915 ;  Pi ~ 3.141592
...ARRAY RESULT:  Mflops= 1.047 ;  Pi ~ 3.141592

  Model Identifier: iMac14,3
  Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
  Number of Processors: 1