[Scilab-users] QUESTION

Wofai Ewa Wofai Ewa

[Scilab-users] QUESTION

What is the advantage of SciLab over MATLAB?

Wofai Ewa (Engr)
[MSc, MNSE, COREN, APM, CIArb, PRINCE 2®]
- Chartered Engineer
- Arbitrator (CIArb, UK)
- Project Mgmt. Expert
- Prince 2® Practitioner
M: +234 (0) 8059076867
T:  +234 (0) 8102221112

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of his business.
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone.

fmiyara fmiyara

Re: QUESTION

Wofai, Chinagorom, Apebo,

This is my answer to your three very similar questions:

The most striking advantage is that Scilab is free (in both senses) and open source, and this goes along with a superb support system where many users and even developers can help you with almost no delay. You can easily report and discuss bugs, propose new features or improvements with the confidence that if your proposal is reasonble and interesting, you'll be heard. And if you are knowledgeable at application programming, you can even become a developer. You'll never have this opportunity in Matlab without becoming an employee and signing heavily restrictive non-disclosure agreements.

You'll never experience with Scilab what many of former Matlab users have suffered or will eventually suffer: a nasty notice that the license is about to expire.

Another valuable feature is how it handles strings. In Matlab a string is an ASCII vector, so you can compare "hello" with "world" to conclude they are different but you cannot compare "hello" with "Lucy" because in this case they are vectors of different length and you get an error message. In Scilab you can compare a word with a novel since both are scalar strings, a type in its own right.

There are many other advantages, such as being natively multi platform. Discovering them is fun, I promise.

Regards,

Federico Miyara

On 13/11/2019 07:46, Wofai Ewa wrote:
What is the advantage of SciLab over MATLAB?

Wofai Ewa (Engr)
[MSc, MNSE, COREN, APM, CIArb, PRINCE 2®]
- Chartered Engineer
- Arbitrator (CIArb, UK)
- Project Mgmt. Expert
- Prince 2® Practitioner
M: +234 (0) 8059076867
T:  +234 (0) 8102221112

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of his business.
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone.

Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan

Re: QUESTION

I also started to answer but I'm puzzled by the batch of short questions originating from new subscribers with a Gmail address.

It looks like spamming:
searching for messages in the archives,
posting something inspired by that to appear legitimate, then posting a link to a commercial or fishing URL.

General

Re: QUESTION

Hello,

Re: QUESTION

Hi All,

My sincere apologies for the seeming spam message.

We (Post Graduate Students) have just been enrolled into a 5-day SciLab Training Workshop at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, facilitated by Prof. S. O. Enibe, who asked us to get subscribed and also seek answers from the SciLab community. Hence the messages and questions.

However, I commend those who are cautious about the possibility of spamming, and should retain such caution, going forward.

Many thanks and best regards,

Wofai

PS
Thanks Federico, for your brilliant feedback.

Wofai O. Ewa
[MSc, MNSE, MNICE, COREN, APM, ACIArb, PRINCE 2®]
- Chartered Engineer
- Arbitrator (CIArb, UK)
- Project Mgmt. Expert
- Prince 2® Practitioner
M:
+234 (0) 8102221112
T:  +234 (0) 8059076867

 P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail