[Scilab-users] Run Scilab 6.0.2 on OSX Catalina

[Scilab-users] Run Scilab 6.0.2 on OSX Catalina

Hello,

I have prepared a small Applescript application  enabling the current
JDK to run Scilab on OSX Catalina at the url

http://www.utc.fr/˜mottelet/java/enableJDK.dmg

This application automates the fix we already discussed in this ML. If I
summarize the necessary steps to run Scilab under Catalina, you have to:

1-download and install a JDK (not a JRE), e.g.
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
(more recent versions should also work, tests are welcome...)

2-download and run the enableJDK script (you will have to allow its
execution in system preferencences)

The fix provided by enableJDK is neither specific to Scilab nor specific
to OSX Catalina. It will allow any application using Java thru JNI to
run with your current JDK, without having to use the Apple
legacy/obsolete Java 6 (https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572).

Enjoy !

Re: Run Scilab 6.0.2 on OSX Catalina

Sorry, there was a typo error (wrong tilda) in the URL, the valid one is

https:/www.utc.fr/~mottelet/java/enableJDK.dmg

S.

Le 28/11/2019 à 10:51, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I have prepared a small Applescript application  enabling the current
> JDK to run Scilab on OSX Catalina at the url
>
> https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/1/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/www.utc.fr/˜mottelet/java/enableJDK.dmg
>

> This application automates the fix we already discussed in this ML. If
> I summarize the necessary steps to run Scilab under Catalina, you have
> to:
>
> 1-download and install a JDK (not a JRE), e.g.
> https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
> (more recent versions should also work, tests are welcome...)
>
> 2-download and run the enableJDK script (you will have to allow its
> execution in system preferencences)
>
> The fix provided by enableJDK is neither specific to Scilab nor
> specific to OSX Catalina. It will allow any application using Java
> thru JNI to run with your current JDK, without having to use the Apple
> legacy/obsolete Java 6
> (https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/support.apple.com/kb/dl1572).
>
> Enjoy !

Chin Luh Tan Chin Luh Tan

Re: Run Scilab 6.0.2 on OSX Catalina

Hi Stephane,

I tested the latest jdk from the web, with your patch, it works!

Thanks.

rgds,
CL

---- On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 23:27:09 +0800 Stéphane Mottelet <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Sorry, there was a typo error (wrong tilda) in the URL, the valid one is

https:/www.utc.fr/~mottelet/java/enableJDK.dmg

S.

Le 28/11/2019 à 10:51, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I have prepared a small Applescript application  enabling the current
> JDK to run Scilab on OSX Catalina at the url
>
> https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/1/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/www.utc.fr/˜mottelet/java/enableJDK.dmg
>

> This application automates the fix we already discussed in this ML. If
> I summarize the necessary steps to run Scilab under Catalina, you have
> to:
>
> 1-download and install a JDK (not a JRE), e.g.
> https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
> (more recent versions should also work, tests are welcome...)
>
> 2-download and run the enableJDK script (you will have to allow its
> execution in system preferencences)
>
> The fix provided by enableJDK is neither specific to Scilab nor
> specific to OSX Catalina. It will allow any application using Java
> thru JNI to run with your current JDK, without having to use the Apple
> legacy/obsolete Java 6
> (https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/support.apple.com/kb/dl1572).
>
> Enjoy !

Re: Run Scilab 6.0.2 on OSX Catalina

Le 28/11/2019 à 17:15, Chin Luh Tan a écrit :
Hi Stephane,

I tested the latest jdk
what is the version ?
from the web, with your patch, it works!

Thanks.

rgds,
CL

---- On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 23:27:09 +0800 Stéphane Mottelet [hidden email] wrote ----

Sorry, there was a typo error (wrong tilda) in the URL, the valid one is

https:/www.utc.fr/~mottelet/java/enableJDK.dmg

S.

Le 28/11/2019 à 10:51, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I have prepared a small Applescript application  enabling the current
> JDK to run Scilab on OSX Catalina at the url
>
> https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/1/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/www.utc.fr/˜mottelet/java/enableJDK.dmg
>

> This application automates the fix we already discussed in this ML. If
> I summarize the necessary steps to run Scilab under Catalina, you have
> to:
>
> 1-download and install a JDK (not a JRE), e.g.
> https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
> (more recent versions should also work, tests are welcome...)
>
> 2-download and run the enableJDK script (you will have to allow its
> execution in system preferencences)
>
> The fix provided by enableJDK is neither specific to Scilab nor
> specific to OSX Catalina. It will allow any application using Java
> thru JNI to run with your current JDK, without having to use the Apple
> legacy/obsolete Java 6
> (https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/support.apple.com/kb/dl1572).
>
> Enjoy !

Chin Luh Tan Chin Luh Tan

Re: Run Scilab 6.0.2 on OSX Catalina

Hi,

Java SE 13.0.1

Thanks

Rgds,
CL

---- On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 00:52:15 +0800 [hidden email] wrote ----

Chin Luh Tan Chin Luh Tan

Re: Run Scilab 6.0.2 on OSX Catalina

Hi Stephane,

Just to add-on, this script also works on previous version of MacOS, tested for High Sierra, it make Scilab works with latest version of Java. On top of that, I notice that it also fix the issue of the hdf5 dependency for the IPCV module, do you have the summary on what the fixes implemented?

Thanks for the nice patch!

rgds,
CL

---- On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 00:54:03 +0800 Chin Luh Tan <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Hi,

Java SE 13.0.1

Thanks

Rgds,
CL

---- On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 00:52:15 +0800 [hidden email] wrote ----

Le 28/11/2019 à 17:15, Chin Luh Tan a écrit :
Hi Stephane,

I tested the latest jdk
what is the version ?
from the web, with your patch, it works!

Thanks.

rgds,
CL

---- On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 23:27:09 +0800 Stéphane Mottelet [hidden email] wrote ----

Sorry, there was a typo error (wrong tilda) in the URL, the valid one is

https:/www.utc.fr/~mottelet/java/enableJDK.dmg

S.

Le 28/11/2019 à 10:51, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I have prepared a small Applescript application  enabling the current
> JDK to run Scilab on OSX Catalina at the url
>
> https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/1/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/www.utc.fr/˜mottelet/java/enableJDK.dmg
>

> This application automates the fix we already discussed in this ML. If
> I summarize the necessary steps to run Scilab under Catalina, you have
> to:
>
> 1-download and install a JDK (not a JRE), e.g.
> https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
> (more recent versions should also work, tests are welcome...)
>
> 2-download and run the enableJDK script (you will have to allow its
> execution in system preferencences)
>
> The fix provided by enableJDK is neither specific to Scilab nor
> specific to OSX Catalina. It will allow any application using Java
> thru JNI to run with your current JDK, without having to use the Apple
> legacy/obsolete Java 6
> (https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/support.apple.com/kb/dl1572).
>
> Enjoy !

Re: Run Scilab 6.0.2 on OSX Catalina

Hello,

In fact the enableJDK script is needed if the JDK is of Oracle brand. If you install a JDK from OpenJDK, e.g.

https://adoptopenjdk.net/

the JNI and BundleApp entries are already present in the Info.plist, and the script is useless.

Le 02/12/2019 à 06:43, Chin Luh Tan a écrit :
Hi Stephane,

Just to add-on, this script also works on previous version of MacOS, tested for High Sierra, it make Scilab works with latest version of Java. On top of that, I notice that it also fix the issue of the hdf5 dependency for the IPCV module, do you have the summary on what the fixes implemented?

hdf5 stuff is completely independent from Java, so I don't understand why.

Chin Luh Tan Chin Luh Tan

Re: Run Scilab 6.0.2 on OSX Catalina

Hi Stephane,

For Java Fixed:
--> thanks for the info, the openjdk works out of the box w/o the script

For hdf5
--> is actually my mistake, I've compiled the opencv w/o the qt this time so it is free from qt5 issue.

thanks.

rgds,
CL

---- On Tue, 03 Dec 2019 23:53:48 +0800 Stéphane Mottelet <[hidden email]> wrote ----