[Scilab-users] SciNetCDF for Scilab 6.x

arctica1963 arctica1963

[Scilab-users] SciNetCDF for Scilab 6.x

Hello,

Just a quick query. Are there plans to get scinetcdf to work on Scilab 6.x?
The existing version (1.2) is not compatible, but does work under 5.5.2

More a question to Simon Marchetto (package maintainer).

Not sure if there is a way to manually get it working in Scilab 6.0.1

Lester

Ekin Akoglu-2 Ekin Akoglu-2

Re: SciNetCDF for Scilab 6.x

Hi,
You can build it under Scilab 6.0.1. I have been successfully using it for months. If you wish to give it a try, download  the source code at with GIT as:

git clone git://git.forge.scilab.org/netcdf4.git

Then build it via Scilab. If you are not familiar with the build process, I can provide step by step instructions.

Best,

Ekin
--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Claim your encrypted mailbox today!
https://tutanota.com

8. Aug 2018 13:01 by [hidden email]:

Hello,

Just a quick query. Are there plans to get scinetcdf to work on Scilab 6.x?
The existing version (1.2) is not compatible, but does work under 5.5.2

More a question to Simon Marchetto (package maintainer).

Not sure if there is a way to manually get it working in Scilab 6.0.1

Lester

Ekin Akoglu-2 Ekin Akoglu-2

Re: SciNetCDF for Scilab 6.x

Hi Lester,

I realized that the command I provided no longer works. Hence, it is a good opportunity to provide step-by-step guide with the updated link. Here is the way to go:

1. Go to page https://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/netcdf4/source/tree/master
2. Towards to the bottom right of the page, there is a link that says "Download this version", click it to download the toolbox (version 1.2) as a  zip archive. Then unzip it and change to that directory, which I suppose is named as "netcdf4-master"
3. Under that directory, open scilab-cli (the command line Scilab interface), or alternatively open scilab-cli and navigate to that directory so that it is your working directory.
4. Then run "exec builder.sce". Once the build successfully finishes, you will see that some new "*.sce" files are created under the working directory. One of them is called "loader.sce". It is the file that you need.
5. Whenever you need to load scinetcdf and use the functionality within, do this: "exec loader.sce" under Scilab.

I hope it helps.

Best,

Ekin

--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Claim your encrypted mailbox today!
https://tutanota.com

10. Aug 2018 16:17 by [hidden email]:

[...]

arctica1963 arctica1963

Re: SciNetCDF for Scilab 6.x

Thanks Ekin!

Will have a go at this and see how I get on.

Cheers

arctica1963 arctica1963

Re: SciNetCDF for Scilab 6.x

Quick update.

Tried the build, but it needs a C or Fortran compiler:

--> exec builder.sce

--> // Copyright (C) 2008 - INRIA

--> // Copyright (C) 2009-2011 - DIGITEO

--> // This file is released under the 3-clause BSD license. See
COPYING-BSD.

--> mode(-1);
Building macros...
-- Creation of [scinetcdflib] (Macros) --
genlib: Processing file: array2mat.sci
genlib: Processing file: deleteArray.sci
genlib: Processing file: getArrayTypeName.sci
genlib: Processing file: getSciNetCDFPath.sci
genlib: Processing file: mat2array.sci
genlib: Processing file: ncdisp.sci
genlib: Processing file: ncgen.sci
genlib: Processing file: newArray.sci
at line    27 of function tbx_builder_src ( C:\Program
Files\scilab-6.0.1\modules\modules_manager\macros tbx_builder_src.sci line
44 )
at line    29 of function main_builder    (
D:\Geophysics\Scilab\netcdf4-master\netcdf4-master\builder.sce line 37 )
at line    50 of executed file
D:\Geophysics\Scilab\netcdf4-master\netcdf4-master\builder.sce

tbx_builder_src: This module requires a C or Fortran compiler and it has not
been found.
-->

Any suggestions would be great.

arctica1963 arctica1963

Re: SciNetCDF for Scilab 6.x

Got a gcc compiler installed (MingW) and checked that Scilab sees it

The compiler failed after a load of messages:

!Makelib:127: recipe for target 'libscinetcdf_hl.dll' failed              !
!                                                                         !
!make: *** [libscinetcdf_hl.dll] Error 1                                  !
at line    25 of function dlwCompile           (
C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\
Scilab\SCILAB~1.1\atoms\x64\mingw\010~1.5\macros\windows\dlwCompile.sci line
34
)
at line    70 of function ilib_compile         ( C:\Program
Files\scilab-6.0.1\m
odules\dynamic_link\macros\ilib_compile.sci line 86 )
at line   104 of function ilib_for_link        ( C:\Program
Files\scilab-6.0.1\m
odules\dynamic_link\macros\ilib_for_link.sci line 118 )
at line    29 of function tbx_build_src        ( C:\Program
Files\scilab-6.0.1\m
odules\modules_manager\macros\tbx_build_src.sci line 44 )
at line    35 of function builder_c            (
D:\Geophysics\Scilab\netcdf4-ma
ster\netcdf4-master\src\c\builder_c.sce line 35 )
at line    34 of executed file
D:\Geophysics\Scilab\netcdf4-master\netcdf4-maste
r\src\c\builder_c.sce
at line    13 of function tbx_builder          ( C:\Program
Files\scilab-6.0.1\m
odules\modules_manager\macros\tbx_builder.sci line 26 )
at line    60 of function tbx_builder_src_lang ( C:\Program
Files\scilab-6.0.1\m
odules\modules_manager\macros\tbx_builder_src_lang.sci line 75 )
at line     4 of function builder_src          (
D:\Geophysics\Scilab\netcdf4-ma
ster\netcdf4-master\src\builder_src.sce line 6 )
at line    -4 of executed file
D:\Geophysics\Scilab\netcdf4-master\netcdf4-maste
r\src\builder_src.sce
at line    13 of function tbx_builder          ( C:\Program
Files\scilab-6.0.1\m
odules\modules_manager\macros\tbx_builder.sci line 26 )
at line    44 of function tbx_builder_src      ( C:\Program
Files\scilab-6.0.1\m
odules\modules_manager\macros\tbx_builder_src.sci line 61 )
at line    29 of function main_builder         (
D:\Geophysics\Scilab\netcdf4-ma
ster\netcdf4-master\builder.sce line 37 )
at line    50 of executed file
D:\Geophysics\Scilab\netcdf4-master\netcdf4-maste
r\builder.sce

ilib_compile: Error while executing Makelib.

Not an expert on C++ so not sure what needs tweaking?

Ekin Akoglu-2 Ekin Akoglu-2

Re: SciNetCDF for Scilab 6.x

From the error, I could not infer much. I use a Linux box so let me try on a Windows machine, check and then I'll let you know.

Best,

Ekin
--
 Securely sent with Tutanota. Get your own encrypted, ad-free mailbox:
 https://tutanota.com

10 Aug 2018, 19:34 by [hidden email]:

> Got a gcc compiler installed (MingW) and checked that Scilab sees it
>
> The compiler failed after a load of messages:
>
> !Makelib:127: recipe for target 'libscinetcdf_hl.dll' failed              !
> !                                                                         !
> !make: *** [libscinetcdf_hl.dll] Error 1                                  !
> at line    25 of function dlwCompile           (
> C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\
> Scilab\SCILAB~1.1\atoms\x64\mingw\010~1.5\macros\windows\dlwCompile.sci line
> 34
> )
> at line    70 of function ilib_compile         ( C:\Program
> Files\scilab-6.0.1\m
> odules\dynamic_link\macros\ilib_compile.sci line 86 )
> at line   104 of function ilib_for_link        ( C:\Program
> Files\scilab-6.0.1\m
> odules\dynamic_link\macros\ilib_for_link.sci line 118 )
> at line    29 of function tbx_build_src        ( C:\Program
> Files\scilab-6.0.1\m
> odules\modules_manager\macros\tbx_build_src.sci line 44 )
> at line    35 of function builder_c            (
> D:\Geophysics\Scilab\netcdf4-ma
> ster\netcdf4-master\src\c\builder_c.sce line 35 )
> at line    34 of executed file
> D:\Geophysics\Scilab\netcdf4-master\netcdf4-maste
> r\src\c\builder_c.sce
> at line    13 of function tbx_builder          ( C:\Program
> Files\scilab-6.0.1\m
> odules\modules_manager\macros\tbx_builder.sci line 26 )
> at line    60 of function tbx_builder_src_lang ( C:\Program
> Files\scilab-6.0.1\m
> odules\modules_manager\macros\tbx_builder_src_lang.sci line 75 )
> at line     4 of function builder_src          (
> D:\Geophysics\Scilab\netcdf4-ma
> ster\netcdf4-master\src\builder_src.sce line 6 )
> at line    -4 of executed file
> D:\Geophysics\Scilab\netcdf4-master\netcdf4-maste
> r\src\builder_src.sce
> at line    13 of function tbx_builder          ( C:\Program
> Files\scilab-6.0.1\m
> odules\modules_manager\macros\tbx_builder.sci line 26 )
> at line    44 of function tbx_builder_src      ( C:\Program
> Files\scilab-6.0.1\m
> odules\modules_manager\macros\tbx_builder_src.sci line 61 )
> at line    29 of function main_builder         (
> D:\Geophysics\Scilab\netcdf4-ma
> ster\netcdf4-master\builder.sce line 37 )
> at line    50 of executed file
> D:\Geophysics\Scilab\netcdf4-master\netcdf4-maste
> r\builder.sce
>
> ilib_compile: Error while executing Makelib.
>
> Not an expert on C++ so not sure what needs tweaking?

arctica1963 arctica1963

Re: SciNetCDF for Scilab 6.x

Thanks for looking in to this, sorry can't be more help. As I understand,
Scilab does support the gcc compiler and it clearly recognises it as
present.

At least I have a way of using GMT grids via a function to read ESR Ascii
raster for now. Not convenient for large data files!

Cheers
Lester

Heinz Nabielek-3 Heinz Nabielek-3

[Scilab-users] Scilab does not work in macOS 10.14 !

BIG SHOCK: Scilab does not work in System Version: macOS 10.14 (18A353d)

What to do?
Heinz
Ekin Akoglu-2 Ekin Akoglu-2

Re: SciNetCDF for Scilab 6.x

Dear Lester,

Yes, Scilab does support GCC but only on Unix-like systems. On Windows systems, you will need Microsoft Visual Studio to compile ATOMS modules (please see https://www.scilab.org/download/requirements).

Luckily, you can obtain Visual Studio Community Edition for free from Microsoft (https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs). Please make sure that you select the C++ components to be installed while installing VS because you will need them to be able to compile ATOMS modules with Scilab and they are not installed by default with a standard VS installation. On my Windows 10 VM I could successfully compile scinetcdf using Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition following the 5 steps I outlined in one of my previous e-mails.

Best,

Ekin

--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Claim your encrypted mailbox today!
https://tutanota.com

11. Aug 2018 19:22 by [hidden email]:

arctica1963 arctica1963