[Scilab-users] Scilab-6.0.0 stopped working

The scilab-6.0.0 binary release was working on my xubuntu 17.4 system,
then I upgraded to 17.10 and since then I see the following error
message when I run the 'scilab' command:-

Cannot find this look and feel:
[GTK look and feel - com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel] not
supported on this platform
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I see this issue has also been reported on bugzilla (
http://bugzilla.scilab.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15145 ) but I don't see any
workaround there, even though it seems to be marked as resolved.

Anyone know anything more?  Confused,

Paul
Adelson Adelson

Re: Scilab-6.0.0 stopped working

There seems to be little or no interest at all on this issue by scilab
developers.

The only reply/workaround was provided by Clement David in the post you
mention on Bugzilla, but it did not worked for me.

If you can count on a distro's builded version  of scilab 6.0, you have
the option to install it.

Em 03-02-2018 20:47, Paul Onions escreveu:

> The scilab-6.0.0 binary release was working on my xubuntu 17.4 system,
> then I upgraded to 17.10 and since then I see the following error
> message when I run the 'scilab' command:-
> Cannot find this look and feel:
> [GTK look and feel - com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel] not
> supported on this platform
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> I see this issue has also been reported on bugzilla (
> http://bugzilla.scilab.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15145 ) but I don't see any
> workaround there, even though it seems to be marked as resolved.
> Anyone know anything more?  Confused,
> Paul
> users mailing list
> http://lists.scilab.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Paul Onions Paul Onions

Re: Scilab-6.0.0 stopped working

On 4 February 2018 at 00:57, Adelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The only reply/workaround was provided by Clement David in the post you
> mention on Bugzilla, but it did not worked for me.

I tried changing the thirdparty/java link to point to my system java
and/or moving the lib/thirdparty/libz* files as suggested in the
bugzilla discussion but got exactly the same results as reported by
adhefe (is that you?).  I also tried completely uninstalling all
system java packages and so just relying on the scilab-6.0.0 tarfile
java but the error message remains as I reported initially.
Reinstalling the system java didn't change anything either (which BTW
is 8u151-b12-0ubuntu0.17.10.2).

> If you can count on a distro's builded version  of scilab 6.0, you have the
> option to install it.

Unfortunately Ubuntu 17.10 still seems to be on Scilab 5.5.2.  I tried
compiling the latest source from git but get stuck during ./configure
with something else I don't understand:-

configure: error: ARPACK library found, but seems not to work
properly. Please make sure you are using arpack-ng

Not sure if this is a known problem, haven't had chance to go into it yet.

Paul
nikolay nikolay

Re: Scilab-6.0.0 stopped working

Dear Paul!

Seems to be incompatibility between upstream (Scilab.org) and GNU/Linux distributions.

You can install scilab 6.0.0-1 packages from 18.04 LTS to your 17.10 as described on AskUbuntu.

With best regards,
Ph.D.,
associate professor at MPEI,
IEEE member,
maintainer of Mathieu functions toolbox for Scilab,
Nikolay Strelkov.

2018-02-04 16:35 GMT+03:00 Paul Onions <[hidden email]>:
On 4 February 2018 at 00:57, Adelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The only reply/workaround was provided by Clement David in the post you
> mention on Bugzilla, but it did not worked for me.

I tried changing the thirdparty/java link to point to my system java
and/or moving the lib/thirdparty/libz* files as suggested in the
bugzilla discussion but got exactly the same results as reported by
adhefe (is that you?).  I also tried completely uninstalling all
system java packages and so just relying on the scilab-6.0.0 tarfile
java but the error message remains as I reported initially.
Reinstalling the system java didn't change anything either (which BTW
is 8u151-b12-0ubuntu0.17.10.2).

> If you can count on a distro's builded version  of scilab 6.0, you have the
> option to install it.

Unfortunately Ubuntu 17.10 still seems to be on Scilab 5.5.2.  I tried
compiling the latest source from git but get stuck during ./configure
with something else I don't understand:-

configure: error: ARPACK library found, but seems not to work
properly. Please make sure you are using arpack-ng

Not sure if this is a known problem, haven't had chance to go into it yet.

Paul

Paul Onions Paul Onions

Re: Scilab-6.0.0 stopped working

On 5 February 2018 at 11:36, Nikolay Strelkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You can install scilab 6.0.0-1 packages from 18.04 LTS to your 17.10 as
> described on AskUbuntu.

Hi Nikolay,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I followed the instructions you linked to,
and succeeded in installing 6.0.0 from bionic, but unfortunately I
still get the same problem on startup:-

Cannot find this look and feel:
[GTK look and feel - com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel] not
supported on this platform
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I also tried 'scilab -nwni' to verify it was 6.0.0 I was running:-

Scilab 6.0.0 (Feb 14 2017, 12:49:55)

--> quit

So now I'm not sure what to try :-(

Paul
Paul Onions Paul Onions

Re: Scilab-6.0.0 stopped working

Oops, forget that last message!!!

I had accidentally left the old tarfile binary in my path and that's
why I was getting the same results (should have guessed that from the
-nwni timestamp, grrr).

Anyway, after removing it I can now start Scilab 6.0.0 in Ubuntu 17.10 :-)

Thanks Nikolay!
Paul
PabloF PabloF

Re: Scilab-6.0.0 stopped working

El lun, 5 de feb 2018 a las 6:28 PM, Paul Onions <[hidden email]> escribió:
Oops, forget that last message!!! I had accidentally left the old tarfile binary in my path and that's why I was getting the same results (should have guessed that from the -nwni timestamp, grrr). Anyway, after removing it I can now start Scilab 6.0.0 in Ubuntu 17.10 :-) Thanks Nikolay! Paul _______________________________________________ users mailing list [hidden email] http://lists.scilab.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Paul Onions Paul Onions

Re: Scilab-6.0.0 stopped working

On 6 February 2018 at 13:25, Pablo Fonovich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I also followed the steps in my Ubuntu 17.10 but it just keeps installing
> scilab 5.5.2. Am i doing something wrong?

I seem to remember doing a "sudo apt update" after step 2, before step
3.  I also made sure I had removed the 5.5.2 release before trying
this, just to make sure things didn't get confused.  Though as shown
in my last message I still managed to confuse myself a little bit by
not removing the tarfile 6.0.0 release I had lying around :-)

Hope this helps,
Paul
PabloF PabloF

Re: Scilab-6.0.0 stopped working

Thanks,
I solved it updating too. Anyway, that version is the one with input command bugged. I wish i could use a nigthly build where that bug is fixed. Also, trying to download a nigthly build lead me to 404 http error.

El mar, 6 de feb 2018 a las 10:54 AM, Paul Onions <[hidden email]> escribió:
On 6 February 2018 at 13:25, Pablo Fonovich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, I also followed the steps in my Ubuntu 17.10 but it just keeps installing scilab 5.5.2. Am i doing something wrong?
I seem to remember doing a "sudo apt update" after step 2, before step 3. I also made sure I had removed the 5.5.2 release before trying this, just to make sure things didn't get confused. Though as shown in my last message I still managed to confuse myself a little bit by not removing the tarfile 6.0.0 release I had lying around :-) Hope this helps, Paul _______________________________________________ users mailing list [hidden email] http://lists.scilab.org/mailman/listinfo/users

PabloF PabloF

Re: Scilab-6.0.0 stopped working

I'm still having trouble to use scilab 6.0.0 in Ubuntu 17.10. As i stated in previous mail, i managed ton install ubuntu 18.04 version, but it has the well known input function bug. I can live without input, despite i use scilab for teaching numerical methods and input is very useful. But then i realized atoms is also not working, at least in my pc. I get the error

So, i thought i could compile scilab myself, but when running configure file, i get this error:

configure: error: curl : library missing. (Cannot find symbol curl_easy_setopt). Check if curl is installed and if the version is correct

Curl is installed:

curl -V
curl 7.55.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.55.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2g zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.0.2 libpsl/0.18.0 (+libidn2/2.0.2) librtmp/2.3
Release-Date: 2017-08-14
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps ldap ldaps pop3 pop3s rtmp rtsp smb smbs smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: AsynchDNS IDN IPv6 Largefile GSS-API Kerberos SPNEGO NTLM NTLM_WB SSL libz TLS-SRP UnixSockets HTTPS-proxy PSL

So i wen to config.log and found this:

configure:31521: $CURL_CONFIG --checkfor $CURL_REQUIRED_VERSION
configure:31524: $? = 0
configure:31626: checking for curl_easy_setopt in -lcurl
configure:31659: gcc -o conftest -I/home/pablo/scilab/scilab/usr/include -g -O2   -Wl,--no-as-needed conftest.c -lcurl  -L/home/pablo/scilab/scilab/usr/lib -lcurl -L/home/scilab/work/linux-prer$
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libssl.so.0.9.8, needed by /home/pablo/scilab/scilab/usr/lib/libcurl.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libcrypto.so.1.0.0, needed by /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so, may conflict with libcrypto.so.0.9.8
/home/pablo/scilab/scilab/usr/lib/libcurl.so: undefined reference to `SSLv2_client_method'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

I have libssl and libcrypto, but i think i have newer versions. I could not manage to install those versions.

Is this the problem? how can i solve this?

El mar, 6 de feb 2018 a las 2:18 PM, Pablo Fonovich <[hidden email]> escribió:
Thanks,

El mar, 6 de feb 2018 a las 10:54 AM, Paul Onions <[hidden email]> escribió:
On 6 February 2018 at 13:25, Pablo Fonovich <[hidden email]> wrote:

PabloF PabloF

Re: Scilab-6.0.0 stopped working

In reply to this post by PabloF
Sorry, this is the error i'm having with atoms:

No ATOMS module is available. Please, check your Internet connection or make sure that your OS is compatible with ATOMS.

If i do atomsSystemUpdate() i get:

Scanning repository http://atoms.scilab.org/6.0 ... Done at line 265 of function atomsDESCRIPTIONget ( /usr/share/scilab/modules/atoms/macros/atoms_internals/atomsDESCRIPTIONget.sci line 284 ) at line 16 of function atomsSystemUpdate ( /usr/share/scilab/modules/atoms/macros/atomsSystemUpdate.sci line 33 ) atomsDESCRIPTIONget: save ('/home/pablo/.Scilab/scilab-6.0.0/.atoms/packages') has failed.

El jue, 15 de feb 2018 a las 11:55 AM, Pablo Fonovich <[hidden email]> escribió:

Curl is installed:

curl -V
Release-Date: 2017-08-14

So i wen to config.log and found this:

configure:31521: $CURL_CONFIG --checkfor $CURL_REQUIRED_VERSION
configure:31524: $? = 0
configure:31626: checking for curl_easy_setopt in -lcurl
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Is this the problem? how can i solve this?

El mar, 6 de feb 2018 a las 2:18 PM, Pablo Fonovich <[hidden email]> escribió:
Thanks,

El mar, 6 de feb 2018 a las 10:54 AM, Paul Onions <[hidden email]> escribió:
On 6 February 2018 at 13:25, Pablo Fonovich <[hidden email]> wrote:

PabloF PabloF

Re: Scilab-6.0.0 stopped working

In reply to this post by PabloF
The 6.0.1 release that was just announced solved all the problems! Thanks a lot to everyone.

El jue, 15 de feb 2018 a las 12:03 PM, Pablo Fonovich <[hidden email]> escribió:
Sorry, this is the error i'm having with atoms:

If i do atomsSystemUpdate() i get:

Curl is installed:

curl -V
Release-Date: 2017-08-14

So i wen to config.log and found this:

configure:31521: $CURL_CONFIG --checkfor $CURL_REQUIRED_VERSION
configure:31524: $? = 0
configure:31626: checking for curl_easy_setopt in -lcurl
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Is this the problem? how can i solve this?

El mar, 6 de feb 2018 a las 2:18 PM, Pablo Fonovich <[hidden email]> escribió: