[Scilab-users] Scilab 6.0.1 extremely slow on new (high-end) laptop

Orbeaman Orbeaman

[Scilab-users] Scilab 6.0.1 extremely slow on new (high-end) laptop

Hello,

I received my new laptop a few days ago and found out that Scilab 6.0.1 is
extremely slow. I would say that it takes about twice the time in comparison
to my previous laptop

- New laptop (available since since June 2018)
I9-8950HK GTX 1080 with 1 x 16GB RAM SSD RAID 0 Windows 10 Home Version 1803

- Old laptop (purcharsed in 2009)
I7-720QM GT 240M with 2 x 2GB RAM Linux 19.1 Mint

Basically, I would expect my new laptop to run Scilab much faster (it is
also almost 4 times more expensive).. I'm really disappointed!! Is it
possible that Scilab is not optimised for I9 CPU or Windows 10?

Does anyone encounter similar issues?

Many thanks

Antoine Monmayrant Antoine Monmayrant

Re: Scilab 6.0.1 extremely slow on new (high-end) laptop

Hello Ludovic,

No, I've never seen something like that.
But it's sure you won't get the same build under Win10 and a vanilla
linux install.
On Windows, I know you can choose between Intel optimized libraries and
base ones, and on linux, it depends on whether you rebuild for your
machine or use the default binaries from the repos.
If you use a version that was optimized for a different CPU, you might
not get the best performance.

Here is what you can try:  you can boot the very same usb linux live
session (recent Ubuntu for example), install scilab and run a test
script on both your old and new laptop.
That way we could try to compare two situations where only the machine
is changing (not the os, not the scilab build).
If you want, I can try to run the same script on different machines
ranging from really old to fairly new...

Cheers,

Antoine

Le 29/09/2018 à 11:53, Orbeaman a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I received my new laptop a few days ago and found out that Scilab 6.0.1 is
> extremely slow. I would say that it takes about twice the time in comparison
> to my previous laptop
>
> - New laptop (available since since June 2018)
> I9-8950HK GTX 1080 with 1 x 16GB RAM SSD RAID 0 Windows 10 Home Version 1803
>
> - Old laptop (purcharsed in 2009)
> I7-720QM GT 240M with 2 x 2GB RAM Linux 19.1 Mint
>
> Basically, I would expect my new laptop to run Scilab much faster (it is
> also almost 4 times more expensive).. I'm really disappointed!! Is it
> possible that Scilab is not optimised for I9 CPU or Windows 10?
>
> Does anyone encounter similar issues?
>
> Many thanks

Re: Scilab 6.0.1 extremely slow on new (high-end) laptop

Le 29/09/2018 à 11:53, Orbeaman a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I received my new laptop a few days ago and found out that Scilab 6.0.1 is
> extremely slow. I would say that it takes about twice the time in comparison
> to my previous laptop
>
> - New laptop (available since since June 2018)
> I9-8950HK GTX 1080 with 1 x 16GB RAM SSD RAID 0 Windows 10 Home Version 1803
>
> - Old laptop (purcharsed in 2009)
> I7-720QM GT 240M with 2 x 2GB RAM Linux 19.1 Mint
>
> Basically, I would expect my new laptop to run Scilab much faster (it is
> also almost 4 times more expensive).. I'm really disappointed!! Is it
> possible that Scilab is not optimised for I9 CPU or Windows 10?
>
> Does anyone encounter similar issues?

Somewhat yes. On my PC/win7, it occurs when i use a new Scilab version
for the first time.
Then, my antivirus scans newly called DLL, what takes some time.
But it occurs only the first time a DLL is required and called.
Next calls are performed with no special delay.

BR

Re: Scilab 6.0.1 extremely slow on new (high-end) laptop

From my knowledge, windows builds should be faster in the general case as the MKL shipped with it has better optimizations (especially on Intel processors) for numerical computing[1]. However, depending on your script there might be a difference. For example, `host()` (process spawning) might be slower as it is related to the way the OS work.

[1]: https://wiki.scilab.org/Linalg%20performances