[Scilab-users] Scilab 6 Release

yanndebray yanndebray

[Scilab-users] Scilab 6 Release

Dear Scilab users,

We are very happy to announce the release of Scilab 6.0.0.

The Scilab Team invested significant development efforts for the past years in order to release Scilab 6.
The goal with Scilab 6 is to address technological evolutions and new needs in terms of modeling and simulation from the scientific & engineering community.
This led our team to completely redevelop the computation core of Scilab in order to build a solid base combining performance and evolutivity.
The new aspects of Scilab 6 worth notifying are the following:
  • New language parser & new core,
  • New utilities for development productivity,
  • Xcos block diagram improvement,
  • Newsfeed - a communication channel with the users
Download it on Scilab.org

Scientifically yours
--

The Scilab Team

watsodw watsodw

Re: [Scilab-users] Scilab 6 Release

Glad to see version 6 is out. I'm having an issue, though. The system requirements  says that for Mac, java version 8 is required, but when I try to run the app, I get the message that java version 6 needs to be installed. So what is required for Scilab 6 to run on Mac?
A Khorshidi A Khorshidi

Re: [Scilab-users] Scilab 6 Release

yanndebray wrote
Dear Scilab users,

We are very happy to announce the release of Scilab 6.0.0.

The Scilab Team invested significant development efforts for the past
years in order to release Scilab 6.
The goal with Scilab 6 is to address technological evolutions and new
needs in terms of modeling and simulation from the scientific &
engineering community.
This led our team to completely redevelop the computation core of Scilab
in order to build a solid base combining performance and evolutivity.
The new aspects of Scilab 6 worth notifying are the following:

  * New language parser & new core,
  * New utilities for development productivity,
  * Xcos block diagram improvement,
  * Newsfeed - a communication channel with the users

Download it on Scilab.org <http://www.scilab.org/>

Scientifically yours

--

The Scilab Team

Hello all.

Month after month we expected to hear the release of the 6th version. But now, we had gone from no news to good news.
We all know it wasn't as easy as it looked. So my warmest thanks to all the folks who engaged to make Scilab fresher and stronger.
I wanna take my hat off to them all right here. :-)

I was wondering what happened to the object-oriented programming paradigm which has been promised for Scilab 6?
Will our wish really be fulfilled?

Merci
Mehran

Re: Scilab 6 Release

Hi Mehran,

> We all know it wasn't as easy as it looked. So my warmest thanks to all the
> folks who engaged to make Scilab fresher and stronger.
> I wanna take my hat off to them all right here. :-)

Thanks for clarifying things :), indeed it was not easy to replicate behaviors implemented 20 (and
more) years ago ! Hopefully the interpreter code is much more understandable right now and newcomers
can get into it in less than a week (as GSoC students does) !

> I was wondering what happened to the object-oriented programming paradigm
> which has been promised for Scilab 6?

Well, the 6.0 family target a Scilab 5 compatibility without "visible" language improvements ; the
object-oriented paradigm hasn't been added yet and we still need more concrete advantages for the
Scilab language to define it !

Especially, function visibility (in modules and function scopes) is IMHO more needed than class
definition. We wrapped successfully Java objects without syntax addition and any user can add
javascript or python object-like implementation where `this` would be an `mlist("myclass" ...)`
value [1]. If you have some specific need on it, do not hesitate to describe it on [hidden email].
org and we can start/iterate on the implementation.

Thanks,

[1]: https://wiki.scilab.org/Emulate%20Object%20Oriented%20in%20Scilab

Klaus Rohe Klaus Rohe

Re: Scilab 6 Release

I tried to download Scilab 6.0.1 but ended up in an endless loop which requested my data (email …).

Kind regards

Klaus

Dipl.-Phys. Klaus Rohe

Adolf-Kolping-Str. 10a