[Scilab-users] Solving generalized eigenvalue in scilab: spec()?

Antoine Monmayrant Antoine Monmayrant

[Scilab-users] Solving generalized eigenvalue in scilab: spec()?

Hello,

I need to solve a generalized eigenvalue problem, but I am not sure I am
trying to use the right scilab function for that.
Here is my generalized eigenvalue problem:
     Sb*w=lambda*Sw*w
     // Sb and Sw are matrices and I want to find the eigenvectors w and
eigenvalues lambda
Is "[alpha,beta,R] = spec(Sb,Sw)" the function I am supposed to call?
I tried my best at understanding the spec() help page, but I am too far
away from my area of expertise.
If someone more knowledgeable than me can tell me whether I am on the
right track or not and how to interpret [alpha,beta,R, I'll be more than
grateful.

Cheers,

  Antoine Monmayrant LAAS - CNRS
  7 avenue du Colonel Roche
  BP 54200
  31031 TOULOUSE Cedex 4
  FRANCE

  Tel:+33 5 61 33 64 59

  email : [hidden email]
  permanent email : [hidden email]

Re: Solving generalized eigenvalue in scilab: spec()?

Le 07/09/2018 à 16:40, [hidden email] a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I need to solve a generalized eigenvalue problem, but I am not sure I
> am trying to use the right scilab function for that.
> Here is my generalized eigenvalue problem:
>     Sb*w=lambda*Sw*w
>     // Sb and Sw are matrices and I want to find the eigenvectors w
> and eigenvalues lambda
> Is "[alpha,beta,R] = spec(Sb,Sw)" the function I am supposed to call?
Yes, in terms of you notations:

[alpha,beta,R] = spec(Sb,Sw)
lambda = alpha./beta

each R(:,i) is a candidate for your w and lambda(i) the associated
geenralize eigenvalue

S.

> I tried my best at understanding the spec() help page, but I am too
> far away from my area of expertise.
> If someone more knowledgeable than me can tell me whether I am on the
> right track or not and how to interpret [alpha,beta,R, I'll be more
> than grateful.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Antoine

Antoine Monmayrant Antoine Monmayrant

Re: Solving generalized eigenvalue in scilab: spec()?

Thank you Stéphane!

Antoine

Le 07/09/2018 à 16:48, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :

> Le 07/09/2018 à 16:40, [hidden email] a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need to solve a generalized eigenvalue problem, but I am not sure I
>> am trying to use the right scilab function for that.
>> Here is my generalized eigenvalue problem:
>>     Sb*w=lambda*Sw*w
>>     // Sb and Sw are matrices and I want to find the eigenvectors w
>> and eigenvalues lambda
>> Is "[alpha,beta,R] = spec(Sb,Sw)" the function I am supposed to call?
> Yes, in terms of you notations:
>
> [alpha,beta,R] = spec(Sb,Sw)
> lambda = alpha./beta
>
> each R(:,i) is a candidate for your w and lambda(i) the associated
> geenralize eigenvalue
>
> S.
>> I tried my best at understanding the spec() help page, but I am too
>> far away from my area of expertise.
>> If someone more knowledgeable than me can tell me whether I am on the
>> right track or not and how to interpret [alpha,beta,R, I'll be more
>> than grateful.
>>

>> Cheers,
>>

>> Antoine

Antoine Monmayrant Antoine Monmayrant

Re: Solving generalized eigenvalue in scilab: spec()?

By the way, is it just me being completely stupid or the help page for
"spec()" could be enhanced with a 2-line general introduction using
layman terms?