[Scilab-users] Still running script

larryonov larryonov

[Scilab-users] Still running script

Hi, first of all I have to say that Scilab is great alternative to Matlab etc
:-)

And now to my problem. I want to use Scilab for plotting graph which takes
values from a file (and file is modified during my device is measuring).

I have tried never ending while-end loop but in every step it takes longer
and longer time measured with tic() and toc() until it will freeze
permantently. It is not because of the file is rising, I'm trying it when
the device is off and file is still the same.

I also tried run the script from another using exec() and then clear, but
without result.

When I abort execution and then run script again it continues from 'bad'
execution time to worse. The only thing working is that I run Scilab again.
Like something is in the memory (not variables, with clear() it isnt
better).

Do you have any better idea than me how to realize the 'still running'
script or any other suggestion. Thank you.

Antoine Monmayrant Antoine Monmayrant

Re: Still running script

On 17/04/2013 15:51, larryonov wrote:

> Hi, first of all I have to say that Scilab is great alternative to Matlab etc
> :-)
>
> And now to my problem. I want to use Scilab for plotting graph which takes
> values from a file (and file is modified during my device is measuring).
>
> I have tried never ending while-end loop but in every step it takes longer
> and longer time measured with tic() and toc() until it will freeze
> permantently. It is not because of the file is rising, I'm trying it when
> the device is off and file is still the same.
>
> I also tried run the script from another using exec() and then clear, but
> without result.
>
> When I abort execution and then run script again it continues from 'bad'
> execution time to worse. The only thing working is that I run Scilab again.
> Like something is in the memory (not variables, with clear() it isnt
> better).
>
> Do you have any better idea than me how to realize the 'still running'
> script or any other suggestion. Thank you.

Could you provide us with a test script and test data file to get a
better idea of what is going?

Cheers,

Denis Crété Denis Crété

Re: Still running script

It probably comes from an accumulation of data in the graph: try to avoid re-plotting the whole vector of data.
If you don't mind about line joining points, reduce plotting to the last data point
plot2d(x($),y($), style=-1)  // you must use a  negative style to see something...

If you need the line joining points, just plot the last pair of data points
plot2d(x($-1:$),y($-1:$))

HTH
Denis

Denis Crété
Serge Steer-3 Serge Steer-3

Re: Still running script

Le 17/04/2013 16:23, CRETE Denis a écrit :
> Hello,
> It probably comes from an accumulation of data in the graph: try to avoid re-plotting the whole vector of data.
> If you don't mind about line joining points, reduce plotting to the last data point
> plot2d(x($),y($), style=-1)  // you must use a  negative style to see something...
>
> If you need the line joining points, just plot the last pair of data points
> plot2d(x($-1:$),y($-1:$))

If you want to add point to a curve, it is more efficient to add them to
the polyline data

example
clf;
a=gca();
a.data_bounds=[0 -1;10 1];
a.axes_visible="on";
xpoly([],[]);p=gce();
for x=0:0.1:10
    p.data=[p.data;x, sin(x)];
end

If you want a moving curve you can proceed similarily:
clf;a=gca();
a.data_bounds=[0 -1;10 1];
a.axes_visible="on";
t=(0:0.01:10)';